Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Favorite Foreigner?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Favorite Foreigner?
If you have the knowledge (I don't since I am in the U..S) I would like to know who you think the fans' favorite foreign player is from the Central League.

I would also like to know everyone's personal favorite foreign player as well and why. Should be a fun and interesting topic.
Comments
Re: Favorite Foreigner?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 2, 2005 5:05 PM ]

Interesting topic. You must have some knowledge of the Central League if you are starting this topic all the way from the United States.

Anyway, it's a rather interesting year. Not too many foreigners in the Central League are putting up good numbers. As for the sluggers, I think Alex Ramirez is slugging as well as anybody in the league, and I think Tuffy and Tyrone will pick it up as the season goes along. I would say look for these three to battle for the crown again, seeing they have all had a piece of the Home Run King Crown the last couple of years.

As for pitchers, I would say look no further than three relievers such as Kroon of Yokohama, Williams of Hanshin, and Bale of Hiroshima. These guys are all having solid years. Kroon, with his 159 kilo fastball, and Bale and Williams can both get it into the low 150s, all have impressive ERAs. Too bad Bale isn't on a better team, or for that matter, in the starting rotation where he excelled last year. As for starters, two guys stand out for me. Mullen of the Giants and Davey of the Carp. Ironically, both players were released only to see Davey sign back with the Carp late in spring training while still completing his shoulder rehab, and Mullen to get signed out of the Mariners' camp to the Giants after the BayStars released him at season's end last year after a decent season. Both started up a bit shaky, but as of late, they both seem to be throwing the ball really well.

If I had to pick my favorite, I would have to say someone who I haven't mentioned. I would say Andy Sheets. He is consistent, plays every day, hits third for the Tigers, and just goes out there and plays the game the way its supposed to be played without the attitude that a lot of the foreigners have. I would say at season end to look for Sheets to have over 20 homers, around 90 RBI, he will bat around .300, and probably score a good 80 runs with the guys he's got behind him in the lineup. Also, most importantly, he will bring home a title to the Hanshin Tigers.
[ Author: Guest: Rich | Posted: Jul 2, 2005 10:53 PM ]

Where is Greg LaRocca? I haven't seen his name in the Japan Times lately, or his stats lately?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 3, 2005 8:27 AM ]

Greg LaRocca is with the Hiroshima Carp. LaRocca is batting .339 with 12 HR and 38 RBI. [Carp 2005 Stats - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 4, 2005 1:49 AM | HT Fan ]

Isn't he injured?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 4, 2005 8:06 AM | YBS Fan ]

According to the disabled list (in Japanese), LaRocca tore a muscle in his left back thigh while running the bases on June 23rd. He is expected to be out for three weeks, and was put on the DL on June 24th.
[ Author: curious | Posted: Jul 4, 2005 11:35 PM ]

If I had to pick my favorite foreigner, I would not just go based on stats. It would be an over all player that seems to be a good player on and off the field. I would have to go with Alex of the Chunichi Dragons. This is only going based on what I've read. No one has to agree, but he gets my vote.
Re: Favorite Foreigner? Kroon
[ Author: Guest: Shannon Scott | Posted: Jul 12, 2005 1:38 AM ]

Kroon hands down- he is doing outstanding- as he did in CO,which he is missed here. He has a strong arm and needs to play more. Any team is lucky to have him close with the speed of his pitches.

Way to go Kroon :.)
Re: Favorite Foreigner? Kroon
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 13, 2005 9:13 AM | HAN Fan ]

Kroon is certainly fast but he does need to work a bit more on his control. Once he fixes this he will be truely awesome.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.