Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin's Infield: A Re-Evaluation?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Hanshin's Infield: A Re-Evaluation?
Looking back over some past threads, much was made of Okada-kantoku's tweaking of player positions in Hanshin's infield. Taking Imaoka out of second was considered radical, and "why shunt a perfectly good shortstop (Fujimoto) into second when his probable replacement (Toritani) was a wobbly-legged rookie?" seemed to be the gist of the argument.

Well, here we are midway through 2005: Okada-kantoku has stuck with his new combination and the Tigers are 4 games clear at the top of the Ce-League. Toritani hit two home runs against Chunichi last night, including a sayonara blast in the bottom of the 12th, and he's batting .280 with 20 RBIs already (compared to .251 and 17 over the whole of 2004).

Perhaps more tellingly, Imaoka has made 6 errors in his new position, and Fujimoto 4. But Imaoka sits atop the Ce-League in RBIs with 67, although Fujimoto has struggled with the bat recently, managing an average of only .194 in the past month (.226 overall).

So, was Okada right after all?
Comments
Re: Hanshin's Infield: A Re-Evaluation?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 23, 2005 2:27 PM ]

- So, was Okada right after all?

I think of lot of us (including me) jumped to a conclusion too quick on Okada. Okada deserves praise for his turnaround with the Tigers this year.

Hanshin is currently in first place thinks a lot to Okada. Also, it shows a lot of the Tigers' success is due to Okada, who last year I was calling for his resignation. Now I think he's the right person for the job, and think he needs to stay.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Jun 23, 2005 4:07 PM | HT Fan ]

So far so good, I guess. I don't get to see the games, but a combined 10 errors for two guys playing new positions isn't that bad. Detroit baseball fans are ecstatic with Brandon Inge despite his 12 errors at third. More production at the second base position would be nice, but Imaoka is making up for it nicely.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 23, 2005 5:13 PM | HAN Fan ]

An interesting question. I suppose looked at one way, he will be right if he wins the pennant this year. However, do his changes weaken or strengthen the team?

Toritani is most definitely a plus - good batting and fielding indicate that he is showing his true potential.

Imaoka is currently winning or helping to win more games than he helps to lose, and so his errors are not so material. However, if the race should turn tight, his errors might prove significant.

Fujimoto is making errors, true (even Sheets is not perfect at first), but he is also fielding well at times. His batting, though, is a problem - why are we not seeing more of Sekimoto?

On balance, Okada's changes seem to be working, but if there was to be an alteration, I would think that Fujimoto should go, Imaoka move back to second, and someone (Kataoka, Sekimoto) take over at third.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 24, 2005 11:19 AM | HT Fan ]

Poor old Kataoka: brought to Hanshin with great fanfare, and now he can hardly get on the paddock. I guess this ties in with the original question, though. Now that Kataoka, a proven veteran talent, has recovered from injury there is a valid argument for his inclusion in the starting line-up at third. Okada-kantoku is sticking with Imaoka in that position, and the Tigers are top of the league. Is Okada right, then?

Regardless, at the moment it looks like Kataoka will spend the rest of his days as a pinch hitter. What's the chance that he will retire - or that Hanshin will let him go - at the end of the season?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 24, 2005 2:12 PM | HAN Fan ]

Kataoka is actually quite valued by Okada, who definitely wants him in the line up. So unless he gets injured I can see him sticking with Hanshin. He has already been used at first as a replacement for Sheets, so he's obviously still useful to the team in more than the pinch hit role. He also has an uncanny ability to judge strikes and get on base.

Okada seems to be developing a team of multi-purpose replacements. He has used Spencer, Hiyama, Machida, Kamisaka, Nakamura, and Kataoka as both fielders and pinch hitters.

As to whether he is right over Imaoka, I think that he is and that Imaoka will eventually be successful.
[ Author: Guest: Richard Sorge | Posted: Jun 24, 2005 11:01 PM ]

I'd hold off with the praise. Hanshin played honorably during inter-league play, but now that regular play is back in the mix, I'd hold my breath. Chunichi could barely tread water during play with the Pa-Leauge. Now that they're back to seeing teams they know. Tyrone Woods is no longer K.O. in opponents with his fists, and Fukudome is healthy. I see the Dragons coming up and running away with the division.

The ax will be back over Okada's head in no time and not because it's his fault. Hanshin fans are not known to accept coming in second, even though it's a tradition of sorts.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Jun 25, 2005 11:32 PM ]

Well, after Chunichi lost the series against Hanshin and the Carp scored 16 runs against you guys today (June 25), do you really feel they'll "run away with it"? What makes you think the inter-league games were an abberation? Being swept at home by Rakuten is not something I'd expect of a team to run away the division. Can you elaborate a little further?
A Dragon Re-Evaluation
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Jun 26, 2005 7:36 PM | CD Fan ]

Despite the fact that we were 5 games up and had a winning record against everybody else in the Central before inter-league, I think Tigerbaka is right. Our pitching is really erratic right now, we can't get anybody (except Kawakami) to consistently go 6 innings. The bullpen is racking up a ton of innings, we aren't getting big hits from Ochoa or Tyrone on a regular basis, and we have a lack of power.

It's still early right now, but if Hanshin can consistently take care of business against Yakult and Chunichi, they will easily take the division. They have been cleaning up on the three lower ranking members. Our only saving grace until the All-Star break is 10 of the last 15 games being at home, but Rakuten came in and lit us up, so I'm not even confident about that.
Re: A Dragon Re-Evaluation
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 12:56 AM | HT Fan ]

Chunichi had better stop giving up as many (or more) runs as they score if they want to finish anywhere above third or fouth in the Central League.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 26, 2005 8:52 PM | HT Fan ]

- The ax will be back over Okada's head in no time and not because it's his fault. Hanshin fans are not known to accept coming in second, even though it's a tradition of sorts.

Are you sure about that? This is the team that stuck with their manager for his entire three-year contract even though he led them to three bottom-of-the-league finishes, and were considering extending his deal until his wife got embroiled in a tax scandal and he was dropped.

Certainly, no fans like it when their team comes anywhere but first, but fan opinion is generally not a criterion for selecting a manager. If Hanshin finishes this season anywhere higher than 4th, I cannot foresee Hanshin even thinking about replacing him.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 26, 2005 11:08 PM | YBS Fan ]

Torakichi has a point. I don't have any evidence to back this up, but the impression I've had over the years is that it takes a falling out between the manager and front office to force a change of manager. If the field manager is doing everything the front office tells him, then they'll often stick with him win or lose.

Yokohama had a couple of managers who did very well, namely Ohya-kantoku and Gondoh-kantoku. It was the fact that neither got along well with the front office that caused them to not renew their contracts.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 1:00 AM ]

- Hanshin fans are not known to accept coming in second, even though it's a tradition of sorts.

When did we actually come second? Dead last, yeah, but second? I've been a long time Tigers' fan and you know absolutely nothing about Tigers' tradition my friend.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 11:50 AM | HT Fan ]

I think what he might be talking about is the 13 second-place finishes the Tigers have had to the Giants since the Central league began in 1950, including six in the 1950s alone. That's a tradition of sorts. But as far as Hanshin fans accepting this - well that's debatable.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Jun 27, 2005 1:01 AM | HT Fan ]

- Toritani is most definitely a plus - good batting and fielding indicate that he is showing his true potential.

What have they been feeding that guy lately, anyway? He's on a serious offensive tear right now.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 11, 2005 12:09 PM ]

I was surprised that Okada kantouku shifted Imaoka to 3rd, why didnt he just move Fujimoto there?

Nakamura has a great batting this season, would Okada give him a chance at starter?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 11, 2005 4:21 PM | HAN Fan ]

I was surprised as well but I think Fujimoto's athletic skills would have been wasted at third.

With regard to Nakamura he has to compete with Hiyama and Spencer for the right field position.Spencer is currently hitting and fielding very well. Nakamura has been slotted in the right field position from time to time but is not doing enough to start in place of the regular pair. The centre field position is only available if Akahoshi is injured and then it goes to Kamisaka. Left field is Kanemoto.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.