Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

You know you've been around Pro Yakyu too long when:

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
You know you've been around Pro Yakyu too long when:
Here is a list I thought of started (mostly applying to the GAIJIN who are hooked on Japanese baseaball)

You know you
Comments
Re: You know you've been around Pro Yakyu too long when:
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 20, 2002 7:02 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, I scored 15 out of 25. (Some more were partial matches, like in now only use the metric system.) Does that make me guilty?

To add to those, I have:

26. Shocked at the size of players when attending an MLB game while in the States for a conference.

27. Expect the #2 batter to bunt after a lead off base hit.

Of course, I was watching the 'Stars defeat the Carp on J-Sky Sports when I read this.
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 21, 2002 12:42 AM ]

28. You catch a foul ball at an MLB game and you look around for the usher who's going to snatch it back from you.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Apr 21, 2002 11:11 AM ]

> Sayonara
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Apr 21, 2002 8:32 PM ]

How about:

You think the phrase "timely error" should be used in MLB.

I also have to concur with the convenience of "sayonara" as well.

You like "sansha bontai" better than "three up three down," or "got the side out in order." To add to this, "sansha sanshin" is more convenient to say than "striking out the side."

You are in the states and get nostalgic for Meiji Jingu Stadium.

You like "fine play" better than "web gem."

You think U.S. ballpark food sucks compared to what you can buy in Japan, but you wish NPB clubs marketed goods as well as MLB teams do.

It looks weird to you when a player hits a homer and doesn't get a stuffed animal coming around third base.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Apr 21, 2002 10:16 PM | CHU Fan ]

>2. While watching an MLB game, you wonder what the player gets after he gets three hits.

OK, I'll admit my ignorance. I don't understand this one. Do Japanese players get some sort of award if they get three hits in a game? Does this have something to do with the baseball cards I've seen showing players holding some sort of doll of the team's mascot?

Thanks,
Dave
Doll
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 21, 2002 11:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

As Garland-san mentions in another reply, the "doll of the team's mascot" is for hitting a home run. One to keep and one to throw into the stands. The recipient of the "hero interview" gets a pair too. Well, at least when he's on the home team.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Apr 22, 2002 1:06 AM ]

The "three hits" thing-

In Japanese baseball when a batter gets three hits in a game it's called a modasho (I can't at the moment remember what the MO means but the other two are "hit award"). For the longest time at the Fukuoka Dome, where I saw most of my games, they got a hankerchief set for getting a modasho. It's usually some strange little thing of little value.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Apr 22, 2002 9:21 AM ]

> In Japanese baseball when a batter gets three hits in
> a game it's called a modasho (I can't at the
> moment remember what the MO means but the other two
> are "hit award"). For the longest time at the
> Fukuoka Dome, where I saw most of my games, they got
> a hankerchief set for getting a modasho. It's
> usually some strange little thing of little value.

The "mo" (or rather, mou) means "fierce" or "strong". Thus, you have "moukou" - Fierce Tigers; "mougyuu" - Fierce Buffaloes. Or, more simply, "mousho" - fierce heat, or "mouretsu" - violent, intense, furious.

Interestingly enough, even though the Mariners don't give out such rewards, it was still referred to as "moudasho" when Ichiro got 3+ hits.
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 23, 2002 10:33 AM ]

Based on # 19, am I correct in assuming that all Japanese stadia are symmetrical?
[ Author: Guest: J.D. Frankland | Posted: Apr 24, 2002 1:28 AM ]

> You wonder how many gaijin there are with the
> Seattle Mariners.

You mean the western version of the Orix Blue
Wave?

> "Sayonara" beats "Walk-off" any day.

Like the homer Adrian Beltre hit last season the first time the Dodgers played the Mariners. I told the friend who went to the game with me, "That was a 'sayonara' homer."

> You go to Koshien for the yakisoba.

That's like going to Anaheim's Edison Field for the chicken bowls...

> 55 is the record to beat, not 73.

"Oh I can't go for that, nooo, no can do..."

Now the question is, can Barry Bonds or Junior or Slammy get to 868?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.