Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tomoaki

Discussion in the Records and Milestones forum
Tomoaki "Iron Man" Kanemoto
Hanshin (and former Hiroshima) slugger Tomoaki Kanemoto overtook one-time Carp star Yoshio Kinugasa's record of 678 straight games appearing in every inning. Kanemoto now stands at #2 in the all-time standings.

When questioned by the press about his feat, Kanemoto said words to the effect of, "You can't compare me to Kinugasa; that's an affront to him. He appeared in 2,000 straight games (all innings or otherwise)."

Disclaimer: I haven't verified any of the above figures. I just copied them straight out of SanSpo.
Comments
Re: Tomoaki "Iron Man" Kanemoto
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: Jan 3, 2005 9:36 AM ]

That's incredible. However, the record as far as I know is 3,132 by Cal Ripken.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 3, 2005 10:56 AM ]

- However, the record as far as I know is 3,132 by Cal Ripken.

Ripken's record is at 2,632 games.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 11, 2005 8:55 AM | YBS Fan ]

There are two records being discussed here:
  1. Consecutive games, and
  2. Consecutive games playing full innings.

This article from June has him passing Kinugasa's second place record of 678 consecutive games playing every inning of every game, not his 2,215 consecutive game feat (to which Kanemoto has a long way to go at "just" 846 games).

After this, Kanemoto went on to overtake former Hanshin Tiger Nobukazu Miyake who played every inning of 700 games before being hit in the left eye on September 6, 1962, stopping Miyake's streak.

Then end of the 2004 season saw Kanemoto's record standing at 750 (and counting) consecutive games without sitting out a single batter.

Cal Ripken does hold the world record in this category as well, playing every inning of 902 consecutive games. With good health, Kanemoto will be challenging that record in 2006.

I hope this clears up the confusion between the two records.

[ Author: Guest: Marty Friedrich | Posted: May 11, 2005 11:24 PM ]

Kanemoto's batting statistics indicated he has played in every game for seasons 1999 through 2004. What date did Kanemoto's playing streak start in 1998? How many consecutive games has he played through the end of the 2004 season? Did he take over the active lead in most consecutive contests when Kazuo Matsui departed for the New York Mets?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.