Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Biggest Comeback in the Standings?

Discussion in the Records and Milestones forum
Biggest Comeback in the Standings?
I hate to even bring this up since, let's not forget, the Dragons still have a 7-game lead. But the curiosity has gotten the best of me in the past few days.

What's the biggest comeback (from any point of the season) any team has made up to win a league title? I heard on JapanBaseballNews that the biggest the Tigers have come back from is 6.5 games out. But what about for all teams?
Comments
Re: Biggest Comeback in the Standings?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:42 AM | YBS Fan ]

I knew if I waited long enough that Nikkan Sports would provide the answer to this.

In 1996 the Giants fell to 11.5 games out of first place early on. From July on, the Giants had a winning record and came back to lead the Dragons by 5 games. This was the year that Nagashima-kantoku said, "メークドラマを演じてみせますよ" ("I'll show you a make drama performance"). "Make drama" won the national Vogue Word of the Year Award, meaning "to come back dramatically against overwhelming odds."

In 1994, the Giants had a magic number of 25 on August 18. They then lost 8 in a row starting on August 25th, then were 4 and 10 for September. Chunichi, who was in second place, 9.5 games out of first on August 27, came back and were tied with the Giants, 69 and 60, on the last day of the season. It all came down to the October 8th game at Nagoya Kyujyo between the Giants and Dragons. The Giants managed to win that game and hold onto first place.

Interesting that two potentially upsetting years both involved the Dragons and Giants, and the Dragons ended up on the lower end both times.
Re: Biggest Comeback in the Standings?
[ Author: firearmofmutiny | Posted: Sep 9, 2006 12:31 AM | CD Fan ]

With that sort of track record, and what's about to happen this year, I'm surprised the Dragons' fan base isn't as bitter and/or negative as two of the most bitter/negative/self-loathing fan bases in American sports: the Chicago Cubs and the Minnesota Vikings.

It's like my current motto: The Dragons will forever regret the day I became a fan of theirs.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.