Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Roaring success …

Discussion in the Japanese Baseball Daily forum
Roaring success …
Takekuma carries no-no into 8th, leads Lions past Hawks

Shota Takekuma stepped up to the first team and stood out at Seibu Dome on Thursday. Even while suffering a cramp, he was walking tall after carrying a no-no into the eighth inning of a 2-0 Seibu shutout win over the SoftBank Hawks.

The fourth-round draft pick in 2007 was making his first start of the season and helped the Lions win a game in which they managed just three hits.

The fifth-year hurler, who fanned six while walking two and hitting one on a career-high 119 pitches, said his control wasn’t sharp. But his wit was intact afterward.

“I thought I’d give up a hit at some point, so I’m glad I wasn’t able to throw a no-hitter,” Takekuma quipped after allowing a bloop single to Yuya Hasegawa with one out in the eighth. The southpaw left with two outs in the inning and picked up his second pro win [No. 1 came in relief against the Hawks on June 20, 2010].

He said Seibu skipper Hisanobu Watanabe offered words of praise to him after the game, but Takekuma had no idea what they were.

“Whatever he said, I think it was positive, but I was just too fired up and I don’t remember what it was,” the 23-year-old Hokkaido native joked after just his second pro start.

Hawks starter Shota Oba (2-3) went the distance and was the hard-luck loser, matching Takekuma pitch-for-pitch until Esteban German broke up the simultaneous no-nos in the fifth with a one-out single. German stole second and came home on a bad throw to first on Yutaro Osaki’s infield single.

German walked and scored in the seventh on a triple by Hideto Asamura, and Hideaki Wakui tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for his eighth save.

FIGHTERS 7, MARINES 2

Atsunori Inaba led a Nippon Ham explosion, blasting a pair of homers, and he and Sho Nakata and Yang Zhong-shou also went deep back-to-back-to-back to win their home series against front-running Lotte.

It was Inaba’s 18th career two-homer game, and the team’s first four-home run game since Aug. 4, 2010. The Fighters hadn’t had hit three straight homers in a game
since May 23, 2010.

The Eagle and Buffaloes were rained out.

CENTRAL LEAGUE

TIGERS 4, DRAGONS 1

Randy Messenger (5-8) worked seven scoreless innings and Ryota Arai’s RBI double in the fourth proved to be the difference as Hanshin won its series against Chunichi at Koshien Stadium.

Arai is 8-for-20 in his past six games, all starts.

GIANTS 6, CARP 2

Hisayoshi Chono went 4-for-5 with four RBIs to lead Yomiuri past Hiroshima in what looked like the Oranges vs. the Apples at Tokyo Dome.

BAYSTARS 6, SWALLOWS 6

Yokohama’s Norihiro Nakamura’s double in the ninth off the wall with two outs off Yakult’s Tony Barnette tied things up, and the time limit ended play after a scoreless bottom of the ninth in a stalemate at Jingu Stadium.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.