Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Swimming upstream …

Discussion in the Japanese Baseball Daily forum
Swimming upstream …

Maeda works 8 scoreless, Dobayashi cracks 1st HR as Carp end skid

The Hiroshima Carp are doing more floundering than swimming in the Central League, but with Kenta Maeda on the mound, they’re making a big splash.

Maeda (3-1) kept the Hanshin Tigers off-balanced and off the basepaths, firing a two-hitter -- with a walk and a hit batter -- and Shota Dobayashi slugged his first pro home run in a 1-0 win Tuesday at Koshien Stadium.

The Carp improved to 3-1-1 in Maeda's starts, but coming off a three-game weekend sweep at home, Hiroshima needed a lift. Maeda gave it to them, working out of his only real trouble -- a popfly double by Takahiro Arai that opened the seventh inning -- to silence Hanshin.

Maeda escaped that jam and moments later, Dobayashi -- a third-year infielder -- took an outside slider the other way for the game’s only run.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I got enough of it to get out, so I was running as hard as I could. I actually didn’t know it had gone out. I saw the umpire as I was running and that’s when I realized it was a homer.”

Maeda watched from the dugout in the ninth inning -- after making 106 pitches -- as Dennis Sarfate worked a scoreless frame after allowing a one-out double, notching his fourth save.

Ranger Messenger (2-1) was the hard-luck loser. He yielded just two hits and two walks with nine Ks over eight innings. He was left to grate on the pitch to Dobayashi.

SWALLOWS 4, DRAGONS 1

Wladimir Balentien slugged his CL-leading fifth longball, a two-run shot, and Shohei Tateyama (2-0) worked six innings of one-run ball to lead Yakult past Chunichi at Jingu Stadium for its fourth consecutive victory.

Lastings Milledge also drove in a run and Tony Barnette was the last of three relievers, posting his CL-best-tying eighth save with his 10th straight scoreless outing.

PACIFIC LEAGUE

EAGLES 4, BUFFALOES 1

Kazuo Matsui collected three hits, including a solo blast, and second-year lefty Takahiro Shiomi (2-2) scattered five hits over eight innings as Rakuten downed Orix at The Kleenex Box.

Rakuten, which is without injured All-Star righty Masahiro Tanaka who was deactivated last week, posted its second straight shutout.

MARINES 2, FIGHTERS 1

Shunichi Nemoto’s clutch single in the eighth broke a 1-1 tie and helped Lotte edge host Nippon Ham at Tokyo Dome.

Seth Greisinger (3-0) put in his third straight quality start to open the season, holding Nippon Ham to a run on seven hits and a walk with a half-dozen Ks over 7.1 innings.

HAWKS 1, LIONS 0

Hiroki Yamada and two relievers made a first-inning RBI single by Nobuhiro Matsuda hold up as Fukuoka blanked sinking Seibu at FYJ Dome.

Yamada (3-1) surrendered just four hits, while walking four and fanning six, and Brian Falkenborg slammed the door in the ninth for his eighth save.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.