Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Chooses Hoshino Over Okada

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin Chooses Hoshino Over Okada
As many of you already know, Nomura-kantoku's wife is facing charges of tax evation. This "scandal" has caused Nomura-kantoku to resign his post, despite having just resigned for another two years as the Hanshin Tigers' manager.

Rumors have been going about Nomura's demise since one of his step sons wrote a "tell all" book about his mother at the end of the season. The book turned out to be a best seller to tabloids and the Japanese equivilent to the IRS who started an investigation.

A number of possible replacements for Nomura had been brought up before Nomura decided to step out of the public light. Among them were two managers who retired this year, Ohgi (Orix) and Hoshino (Chunichi).

However, Hanshin is the second oldest professional ball club in Japan, and has a long tradition of hiring from within. Since the War, Nomura was the 5th out of 18 (or there abouts) managers for Kansai's favorite team. Since "outsiders" have only managed to help the team to two championships (Fujimoto in 1962 and 1964), most Hanshin fans have been pulling for 2-gun manager Okada-kantoku to get the post. I think Wada was another possible internal name raised.

Despite most fans wanting to keep everything "within the company," one would be hard pressed to find anybody in the mainstream press speaking out against the decision to go with Hoshino. What free agent Kataoka or the Giants' Doi-representative thought of Hoshino-kantoku changing uniforms was considered more important to the press than Okada's "It hasn't been decided yet, so I have nothing to say" comment. (OK. So Doi was more long winded, but...)

Nonetheless, Okada has a point. A formal announcement as to whether or not Hoshino will accept the post is expected to take place next Monday (12/10).
Comments
Re: Hanshin Chooses Hoshino Over Okada
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 9, 2001 2:15 PM ]

It's interesting that Hanshin has decided that they would like Hoshino to manage their club next season. When I intially heard those reports, I figured that there was no way that Hoshino would consider the offer given his very emotional "farewell" speech to Chunichi fans at the end of this past season. However, he seems like he is definitely interested in taking over the Hanshin Tigers. I guess it's only fitting since everyone knows how much he hates the Giants. What better way is there to stick it to the Giants than to take over the Tigers and make them competitive. I think that was Nomura's intention also, but he never did get to stick it to the Giants as his best efforts proved to be futile.

One last thing about Nomura. It's unbelievabe that this soap opera involving his wife and her son Kenny has ultimately cost him his job. I know that Don Nomura played on the Swallows' farm team, but does anyone know anything about Kenny Nomura's pro career?
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Nov 22, 2002 1:00 PM ]

Just stumbled on this website...I believe Kenny Nomura was a catcher for the NH Fighters 2-gun in the early 80's.

I remember seeing a guy with red hair at Tamagawa working out with the farm team in 1982 and wondering who he was.

I asked this guy I played with in H.S. (Yohi); he said "oh yeah it's Kenny Engle; you know who his dad is, right (the implication being he made the team because of his step-dad).
Kenny Nomura
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 22, 2002 9:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hey, always a pleasure to hear from a fellow Yo-Hi alumni!

Anyway, Kenny did play for Nippon Ham in 1982 and 1983 after two years with Hiroshima. But he did so under the name Katsuhiro Nomura.

Thanks to the F's History site's historical Fighters' player meikan, Katsuhiro Nakamura's page in particular. (The site is in Japanese only, and it looks like it's an anti-IE site - which is probably for the best considering this vulnerability - read down to the caveats that essentially counter the downplay of the problem at the top to reveal that the problem is much larger than Microsoft's PR lets on. But I degress.)
[ Author: hamadora | Posted: Dec 10, 2001 3:08 AM ]

Oh no.....anyone but Hoshino. I hate him. What is the front office thinking? Can
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 10, 2001 5:08 PM ]

Hanshin is definitely the most clueless organization in all of sports. The fact that they haven't retired legendary 3rd baseman Kakefu's #31 speaks volumes.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 17, 2001 2:49 PM ]

Maybe it's just me, but I think that if Nomura was managing in the Major Leagues and his wife was arrested for tax evasion he wouldn't have to resign from his post as manager. After all, it's his wife's problem, not Nomura's. Just this past season, Bobby Cox of the Braves was arraigned on charges of pulling an O.J. (beating his wife) and yet the Braves and MLB basically swept it under the rug. I think that if the manager himself is involved in any activity that is subject to criminal prosecution, then it is far worse than his spouse being involved in that kind of activity, yet Cox got off with a slap on the wrist and was able to manage the Braves into the NLCS. What gives?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.