Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Opening Day: Central League Live

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Opening Day: Central League Live
[Link]

Unlike the Pacific League opener where I only got one game televised in full, all three Central League games are available to me on Friday, April 1. All three games start at 6:00 pm JST. So, I'll give you, the potential listeners, a choice of games:

Hiroshima Toyo Carp vs. Yomiuri Giants (Kuroda vs. Uehara)
Yokohama BayStars vs. Chunichi Dragons (Miura vs. Kawakami)
Yakult Swallows vs. Hanshin Tigers (Ishikawa vs. Igawa)

Projected pitchers may change without notice. These are who Shukan Baseball predicts will be opening day starters in their 2005 #14 issue.

So, please cast your vote below for the Pro Yakyu Live Game of the Week.

[Update: Swallows vs. Tigers is not available after all.]
Comments
Re: Opening Day: Central League Live
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 8:42 AM ]

Carp vs Giants
[ Author: Basebill | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 11:14 AM | TYS Fan ]

Swallows vs. Tigers
[ Author: rogerbd | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 1:36 PM | FSH Fan ]

Carp/Giants
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 2:51 PM ]

Carp @ Giants. You're not gonna find a better pitching matchup than this one. They are the best two starters in the Central League. Look for Kuroda to have a really strong season.

Giants 2 - Carp 1. The Giants have a better lineup and the Carp will let Kuroda down in this one.
[ Author: Guest: Al Newman | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 3:46 AM ]

Yakult vs. Hanshin, Go Swallows! I'd like to wish all the fans good luck with your teams this season.
OT: Why Swallows?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 2:06 PM ]

This is sort of off topic for this thread, but I thought it would be OK, as this is a question directed towards Alan Newman.

From your post, it seems quite obvious that you're cheering for the Swallows. You played for the Hiroshima Carp as well, although not as much. I was just wondering if there's any other factor for you cheering for the Swallows, rather than the Carp, other than the reason that you spent more time with them.

Any good memories or stories that you could possibly share to explain why you've chose to remain as a SWALLOWS fan?

Being a Swallows fan, I'm just curious to possibly hear something about your experience with them.
Re: OT: Why Swallows?
[ Author: Guest: Al Newman | Posted: Apr 3, 2005 4:48 AM ]

I really appreciated the way that the Swallows handled everything. They also treated me with great respect. I've played for 9 different organizations. I would say that Yakult is in the top two as far as being a classy team. I really wish I was still there, maybe next year I can come back. I have many good memories there and miss my teammates, the Nippon Series (2001) is a great memory. And messing around with Fujii and Igarashi, they are really great people.
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 11:35 AM | HT Fan ]

Tigers/Swallows.

Igawa vs. Ishikawa
Ramirez vs. Kanemoto

I am READY! GO TIGERS!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 12:43 PM | YBS Fan ]

Bad news for Yakult and Hanshin fans. The Cable Guide, which came out two weeks ago for April, had the Hanshin opener on Sky A, a channel I get. Today's Nikkan Sports has it on Gaora, a channel I don't get, with the Rakuten home opener on Sky A. So I regret that this game is no longer available.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 4:29 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I look forward to the Ogata (SS Carp).
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 9:33 PM | YBS Fan ]

Argh. I didn't provide the most important information, the link to the live page (until the nineth inning when a friend told me he couldn't find it). Well, other than that, I think that this broadcast went a lot better than others thanks to the feedback I'd gotten.

The Game of the Week this week was the Carp vs. Giants at Tokyo Dome, and it was a great game. You can listen to it in its entirety here [18MB mp3 file]. Please feel free to copy, share, and/or rebroadcast this, in whole or in part, over the Internet or airwaves, provided you make clear that the broadcast came from JapaneseBaseball.com. Copyright should be about granting the right to copy, not restricting it. So share and enjoy.
[ Author: pigskins15 | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 11:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

Westbay-san,

I know that you do the game of the week. I was just wondering if you could put a link to the site that you do it on.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 2, 2005 3:00 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yea, I really blew it this week, putting the link in late.

You can now get links to the live site and the archives from here (under Media Guide). I'll also be sure to include a link in each announcement here under News from now on. My bad.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.