Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Giants Testing Omar Daal

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Giants Testing Omar Daal
The Tokyo Giants are testing out left-handed pitcher Omar Daal, who last played with the Baltimore Orioles in 2003, at the team Spring Training camp in Miyazaki. Omar's best season in MLB was in 1999 with the Arizona Diamondbacks when he went 16-9 with a 3.65 ERA.

Here are Omar's stats from Baseball Reference.
Comments
Re: Giants Testing Omar Daal
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 4:02 PM ]

I saw the news about Daal and I'm pretty surprised. He made $4.5 million last season and he would probably have to take a huge pay cut to play for the Giants. Then again, MLB teams are probably not taking numbers and lining up trying to sign him.

This is related to Daal, but unrelated to Japanese baseball. Does anyone remember when Daal had 19 losses in 2000 and the last 20-game loser, Brian Kingman, was attending Daal's games desperately hopeing that Daal wouldn't reach that mark (20 losses)? If Kingman isn't the biggest loser in the world, I don't know who is. Why would anyone in their right mind want to be forever known as the last 20-game loser in MLB? I mean, Kingman is darn proud of his "achievement." Any competitive athlete would want a dubious achievement like that wiped off the record books as soon as possible. Kingman has prayed that guys like Daal don't take his name off the record books. Daal wasn't the only one either. Every time someone comes close to 20 losses, Kingman gets his 15 minutes of fame for being a loser. It's time for someone to reach 20 losses so that Kingman can go get a life.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 8:44 PM ]

If I were the Giants, I would stay away from Omar Daal. When he was with Baltimore he had one injury after another.
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Feb 8, 2005 3:33 AM | HT Fan ]

Actually, Mike Maroth of the 2003 Tigers lost 21 games, putting Kingman back into the huge crowd of previous 20-game losers who aren't "the last." On the same team, Jeremy Bonderman came close to losing 20 as well.
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 11:45 PM ]

Mike Maroth lost 20 games for the Tigers in 2003. They shut down Bonderman? I think because he almost lost 20 that season as well. I think he ended up with 18 losses. That was just an awful team, worst I've ever seen.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 10, 2005 11:02 AM ]

That's right, I forgot about Maroth. My mistake. Well, it was good that someone finally took away Kingman's 15 minutes of fame.

Omar Daal's throwing form is a bit like Hideo Nomo's, albeit not as exaggerated and from the left side. He turns his back completely on the batter before firing to the plate. It'll be interesting to see if the Giants decide to sign him or not.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 13, 2005 9:46 PM ]

Omar Daal failed to make the Giants on his tryout with the team. [Link - Daily Yomiuri - second article down]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.