Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

On to the WBC Final

Discussion in the NPB News forum
On to the WBC Final
I can't believe Hara is bypassing Darvish for the championship game. Darvish is the best pitcher in the world.

Anyway, prediction: Korea will tattoo Iwakuma.
Comments
Re: On to the WBC Final
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 2:25 PM | YOK Fan ]

That's your opinion on Darvish and not a fact.

I predict that the game will be like the last game of the Tokyo Round more or less.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 3:50 PM ]

Yeah, was surprised to see Darvish put in in the 9th today. I figure it's Hara's gut feeling after Darvish's performance last time against Korea, although I think he shut them down after a bad first inning.

Anyway, Iwakuma is really hot, so hopefully he can get it done. He got passed over for the Olympics, so it's his stage now.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 5:17 PM ]

I was watching the game last night and thought US was a little sloppy. Maybe they should put in more time to get in shape for the tournament the next time?

Anyhow, I was enjoying the game while chatting on PLNara's chat and I hear these noises outside my apartment, I go outside on my porch and look up and I see a man on the roof trying to break into my neighbour's apartment!! He sees me and takes off. I was watching this game in Europe where it was 3 AM or so. It was dark outside so I was pretty scared. Because I was up watching this game I think I did my neighbour a big favour by scaring away the thief! Had I been sleeping I do not know what would have happened. I saw the game until the final out, but was a little shaken by that incident.

The Asians have dominated this WBC. I think Hara is making the right decision by starting Iwakuma. Iwakuma, in my view, is the most consistent starter for Japan.

As for the game, I kind of feel as if Korea is going to win this time. I hope I am wrong, but they are looking solid.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 23, 2009 10:01 PM ]

I was watching the game last night and thought the US was a little sloppy.

Yeah, poor fielding hurt them a lot. I still don't think they take the WBC as seriously as the Asian teams, as Japan and Korea look much more prepared. I'm not making an excuse for the Americans, however, as they do often lack solid fundamentals.

It will be interesting to see what happens next time. When the world caught up with American basketball, they returned with a vengeance. I would like to see a more focused American team next time out, but it's still a matter of who decides to play and which teams let their players play at all. With all the injuries we had this time, I unfortunately only see teams being even more cautious.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 24, 2009 1:41 AM ]

Darvish is the best pitcher in the world. The last pitch he threw against the U.S. was clocked at 108 mph!
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Mar 24, 2009 12:18 PM ]

- The last pitch he threw against the U.S. was clocked at 108 mph!

You either heard that wrong or it was faulty equipment! The fastest pitch in MLB history is just over 100 mph, so I assure you Darvish didn't throw 108!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 24, 2009 4:11 PM ]

Yay. Japan wins it all.
It's a Final
[ Author: Guest: PGOODY | Posted: Mar 25, 2009 12:41 AM ]

Wow that final had it all. Great pitching, great hitting, the quality of baseball was ridiculously good. And it was two Asian teams! I found myself rooting for Japan and especially for Darvish at the end, the way he was pitching it was like something out of Dragon Ball Z.

I followed Korea and Japan throughout the whole tournament and loved watching them play. Their style was so different from all the other teams in the WBC. I can't count the number of times the announcers and commentators were just guffawed at certain moves and strategies by the two teams. A lot of times it was against "normal" baseball strategy, but it worked! The way the Koreans and Japanese carried themselves during their games is something that the rest of the future participants should try to emulate.

Well, Japan is better at making cars, baseball video games, and now they're arguably the best at playing the game of baseball. I just hope that this final opens up Americans eyes to the talent overseas.
Re: It's a Final
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Mar 25, 2009 5:20 PM ]

It's funny how "normal" baseball strategy drastically differs on both sides of the Pacific. Commentators on either side of the ocean are always amazed by what teams from the other sides do.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 25, 2009 3:03 AM ]

Japan baseball is great!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.