Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Miura to Stay with BayStars

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Miura to Stay with BayStars
I'm off at a retreat in Izu this weekend. During our 飲み会 back in our room, it was just shown on the news that Miura has officially announced that he's staying with Yokohama BayStars next season. I threw out a big 「やったぁぁぁ!」 The Hanshin fans in our midst let out a moan. "And after Toluckly got a pompadour and everything."

I've got to say, I'm very relieved that we'll still have at least one starter who can defeat the Tigers throughout next season.
Comments
Re: Miura to Stay with BayStars
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 29, 2008 11:09 PM | YOK Fan ]

When I read the news on Yahoo! Sports, needless to say, my orange juice ended up all over my computer monitor. I'm extremely relived and happy that "Bancho" chose to remain with the team, and it's quite refreshing to see that for some players it truly is about the game and the fans and not just about the money. "Hama no Bancho" lives on and I look forward to seeing you retire in a Yokohama uniform.

It feels so good right now.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 12:08 AM ]

Even with Hanshin's offer, I had a feeling Miura would do the sentimental thing and stay with his last place team. We really could have used him, but hopefully our young pitchers will blossom in the coming years.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 4:10 AM | HT Fan ]

Hehe, he combed his pompadour down after that.

Miura has already worn Yokohama's new uniform.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 7:30 AM ]

Nothing wrong with some loyalty and hometown discounts.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 11:02 AM | HAN Fan ]

As long as Miura is happy that's all that matters. I just hope he doesn't end up in a Kuroda situation without the safety net.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 30, 2008 6:40 PM | YOK Fan ]

Miura is also featured in the new BayStars calender. He is featured on the May page with Kudoh. Miura's wearing the home jersey while Kudoh is wearing the away one. I must say that the calender was vastly improved this year and is well worth the money this time around.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 6:36 AM | SFT Fan ]

I've always been a closet BayStars fan, and I can say that I'm extremely happy that Miura decided to stay. He's the face of the franchise, I think, especially since he has a reputation as a Tiger-killer.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 1:43 PM | YOK Fan ]

I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the unspoken reasons as to why Hanshin wanted Miura so bad (you know, to stop the proverbial bleeding when they face him).
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 3:19 PM | HT Fan ]

Maybe, but Hanshin hasn't had an innings eater since Igawa left. They could use a guy who can put up 180+ innings to give the bullpen a rest.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 5:16 PM ]

This decision must not have been an easy one. Miura is from Osaka and as a child he went to Koshien and was a Hanshin fan.

One of the many reasons to why he chose to stay was that he liked being in the position of an underdog and beating the big teams and winning the championships.

Source: Sanspo [in Japanese]
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Dec 2, 2008 8:22 PM ]

- One of the many reasons to why he chose to stay was that he liked being in the position of an underdog and beating the big teams and winning the championships.

Well, the Tigers haven't won it all since '85, so aren't they still an underdog compared to the Giants? Although I would have liked to see Miura on our side next year, I do also like the loyalty that you see in NPB. Not like MLB, where the biggest bidder gets the prize.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Dec 3, 2008 7:48 AM ]

Giants and Tigers are the two teams which are not the underdogs. They share many more similarities than differences.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 3, 2008 11:14 AM | HAN Fan ]

Tigers haven't been underdogs for a long time and are a major player. But similarities with the Giants? They both play baseball, but there the similarity ends. The Tigers can never be accused of what the Giants have. They have been much the victims of the Giants bad behavior as everyone else.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Dec 5, 2008 12:35 PM ]

If Miura wants to stay and play for the cellar-dwellers for the rest of his career for less money, that is his decision. Demonstrates loyalty, sure, but perhaps it is a little shortsighted. Purely his call of course, but why play for the chance to upset a good team when you can play for a good team and bring it all back home?

Regarding the mentioning of the Tigers with the Giants, as if they were similar teams, that is just plumb loco. The Giants stand alone in Japan for their corrupt ways in buying championships and turning NPB into their own plaything for years. Let's get real about this.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Dec 5, 2008 5:56 PM ]

The Tigers certainly aren't underdogs in terms of their recent success or popularity, but every other team in the CL have always been underdogs compared to the Giants. The Tigers are more like the Red Sox until a few years ago -- very popular but rarely champion.

When it comes to Miura, he's a decent pitcher and I wish we could have signed him, but I don't think he was the missing piece of the puzzle that would bring the Tigers a championship. Again, it's good that he chose to stay with Yokohama, but he has also made the decision that he will most likely retire without another championship.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.