Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kintetsu Wins the Pennant

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kintetsu Wins the Pennant
Unbelievable! That's the only word to describe the incredible come from behind victory that the Buffaloes pulled off this evening (9/26).

Down by 3 runs going to the bottom of the 9th at Osaka Dome, a base hit followed by a double put runners at second and third with nobody out. The next batter didn't get anything close, and the bases were loaded. I joked to my wife that what we needed here was a gyaku-ten manrui sayonara home run. And a couple pitches later, my jaw dropped as Kitagawa placed the ball into the upper deck in left-center! Gyaku-ten manrui sayonara home run! Kinetsu defeats the Orix Blue Wave 7-6 to take their first Pacific League pennant in 12 years!

As soon as the ball left Kitagawa's bat, the first base dugout cleared. I was worried that he'd be jumped before reaching home plate. There were hugs all around as players were wondering around the field as though in a dream. Tears are in many players' eyes still as I watch the cerimony declaring Kintetsu the Pacific League champions. The infamous "pennant" is presented to Nashida-kantoku, who passes it on to Nakamura. Nakamura waves it to the crowd with a big roar, and while the players unfold it, a trophy is awarded to Nashida-kantoku. Now it's time to parade around the field with the pennant.

Incredible! And a fitting finale to a great season for Kintetsu.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.