Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Finally - Field Level Seats

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Finally - Field Level Seats
An article on the Nikkan Sports web site [and paper edition] reports that the Tokyo Giants are modeling an idea after Major League ballparks, and are going to make 228 field level seats along the first and third base sides, next to the camera wells. Also according to the report, there will be no netting or fences. The seating will be available starting in the 2005 season.

I hope this opens the door for other stadiums to take down the fences all around the stadium, and make field level seats along the foul lines. Can we perhaps see Japanese fans imitate Major League fans and stretch like a madman to try and grab a passing foul ball? :P

[Link - in Japanese]
Comments
Re: Finally - Field Level Seats
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 26, 2004 10:09 AM | YAK Fan ]

I just read on the Sankei Sports web site that the Giants are allowing the fans to name the new field level seats, with the winner receiving a pair of tickets in the new seats for opening day 2005.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Nov 26, 2004 9:07 PM | HT Fan ]

Well of course Orix BlueWave beat them by about two years - Yahoo! BB Stadium in Kobe has had MLB-style seats down the first base side for some time now. It'll be a pity if they phase out that ball park.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 3, 2005 12:59 PM | YAK Fan ]

The Yokohama BayStars spent around 10 million yen to lower the netting along the foul lines, and other construction at Yokohama Stadium. You can view a picture of Hitoshi Tamura making a mock stretch into the seats in this article from Nikkan Sports. (Japanese only)

In other news, the Chiba Lotte Marines also announced they are in the planning stages to add an additional 1,000 seats along the first and third base lines of Chiba Marine Stadium for the 2006 season. The club is supposedly using Kobe's Skymark Stadium (formerly Yahoo! BB Stadium) as a model for the field level seating. The club expects construction costs to be around 270 million yen, and if the idea is approved, construction will take place from October of 2005 until February 2006.

(*The field level seats at Tokyo Dome were given the name "Excite Seats.")
[ Author: 20X6!! | Posted: Mar 10, 2005 1:40 PM | FSH Fan ]

Interestingly enough, I hear people here in the U.S. (radio/television) complaining how people are getting hurt by foul balls, and look to Japan as the people with the great idea of "protecting the fans from dangerous foul balls." I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side of the ocean.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 16, 2005 12:41 PM | YAK Fan ]

For those of you living in Japan in the Kanto area, the Tokyo Giants have announced a giveaway for the special field level seats (Excite Seats). The Giants will be giving away 50 pairs of tickets (100 tickets total) to parent/child combo's for the Sunday March 27th game against the Yokohama BayStars at Tokyo Dome (13:00 start time).

To enter, send a postcard with your name, age, address, postal code, telephone number, and names of both the parent and child wishing to attend, postmarked no later than March 18 (Fri) to the address below:

"Opensen E shoutai"
Shibuya yuubinkyokudome
150-8681

Contact (03) 3797-4188 for more info (most likely Japanese only)

Source = Sankei Sports Website

[Note: I've been meaning to look into the problem with posting in Japanense since moving to the new server. For those wanting to cut and paste the address, please go to the above link and search for the 150-8681 zip code. Copy from the "yuubin" character before the zip until all but the last two characters in the sentence.]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.