Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kintetsu Magic 6

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kintetsu Magic 6
The Kintetsu Buffaloes just finished defeating the Seibu Lions two games in a row. Rookie Iwakuma threw a 7-hit shut out for the 5-0 victory.

And with the victory, Seibu can no longer control their own destiny. Yes, even if they win all 7 of their remaining games, Seibu will finish with a .564 winning percentage, whereas Kintetsu, given 2 losses to Seibu can win their remaining 6 games for a .565 winning percentage.

Gee, with the race so close, I didn't expect a Magic to light up lower than Yakult's. But then, they'Ve got about 10 games less to play since the Pacific League has more domed stadiums now.

And with Yakult defeating Yokohama this evening their magic number drops to 11 at most. The countdown is now on in both leagues.
Comments
Corrections and Additions
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 19, 2001 8:19 AM | YBS Fan ]

I got that 7-hitter wrong. Kintetsu had 7 hits. Iwakuma threw a 2-hitter, allowing not a single Lion to reach third base.

The shutout was Iwakuma's first complete game and shut out. But what's more, it was the first shut out thrown by a Kintetsu pitcher this season. This was their 132nd game! So it's been a team effort all year for the Buffs so far as pitching has been concerned.

In fact, their team ERA of 4.95 is the worst in both leagues! They've been saved by out scoring their opponents 732 to 700 - not the widest of margins, but both top numbers in either league as well.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.