Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2004-5 Free Agents

Discussion in the NPB News forum
2004-5 Free Agents
Before we begin with the list of qualifiers for free agency this off season, I would like to point out that this list is not the list of people declaring free agency, nor it is the list of players going to the Majors. This is the list of players who have completed the years of service necessary to become free agents.

Next, there is a schedule for declaring free agency that the players, their teams, and FA shopping ball clubs must follow. These are those phases:
  1. Declaring Free Agency
    10/26 - 11/4: Players who qualify for free agency must put down their desire to declare free agency in writing and submit this to their respective ball clubs.

2. Official Announcement of Free Agency
    11/5: The Commissioner's Office makes the official announcement of players who have been declared free agents.

3. Negotiation Ban Lifted
    11/6: The ban on ball clubs other than the players' current club is lifted and players may negotiate freely with any other ball club.

This last part is the one that several MLB teams seem to not know about. The Yankees in particular have been mentioned as having talked with some potential free agents and players talking about being posted. They, or any other MLB or NPB team, are not allowed to talk with the below players until November 6, 2004.

Now, the free agents:

Central League Pacific League

CD P Yamamoto Masahiro SL P Nishiguchi Fumiya
P Kitoh Makoto P Shiozaki Tetsuya
P Ochiai Eiji IF Ueda Hiroaki
IF Tatsunami Kazuyoshi
IF Sakai Tadaharu FDH P Yoshida Shuji
OF Sekikawa Koichi C Taguchi Masanori
IF Torigoe Yusuke
YS P Yamamoto Tatsuki OF Ohmichi Noriyoshi
C Furuta Atsuya
IF Suzuki Ken HNHF P Kawamoto Yasuyuki
IF Dobashi Katsuyuki C Nakajima Satoshi
IF Miyamoto Shinya IF Tanaka Yukio
OF Iida Tetsuya IF Narahara Hiroshi
OF Manaka Mitsuru IF Kaneko Makoto
OF Inaba Atsunori OF Ueda Yoshinori

YG P Kudoh Kimiyasu CLM IF Hori Koichi
IF Kiyohara Kazuhiro IF Hatsushiba Kiyoshi
IF Etoh Akira IF Hamana Chihiro
IF Kokubo Hiroki OF Kakiuchi Tetsuya
IF Nishi Toshihisa OF Morozumi Kenji
OF Gotoh Koji OF Haru Toshio
OF Tuffy Rhodes OF Satoh Yukihiko
OF Shimizu Takayuki
OF Ide Tatsuya OKB P Takamura Hiroshi
P Akahori Matoyuki
HT P Yabu Keiichi P Yoshida Toyohiko
P Ishige Hiroshi P Koike Hideo
C Noguchi Toshihiro C Matoyama Tetsuya
IF Yagi Hiroshi IF Mizuguchi Eiji
IF Kuji Teruyoshi IF Hoshino Osamu
OF Ohmura Naoyuki
HC P Sasaoka Shinji
P Takahashi Ken OBW C Miwa Takashi
C Nishiyama Shuji C Yoshihara Kosuke
C Seto Terunobu IF Ohshima Koichi
IF Nomura Kenjiro
OF Kimura Takuya
OF Maeda Tomonori
OF Ogata Koichi
OF Machida Kojiro
OF Asai Itsuki

YBS C Nakamura Takeshi
IF Ishii Takuro
IF Saeki Takahiro
IF Taneda Hitoshi
IF Ogawa Hirofuji
IF Manei Takashi

Note to new-comers: Japanese names are written family name first, then given name.

I'll work on getting 2004 data into the profile pages soon (within a few days). In the mean time, 2004 data is available from the teams page.

Comments
Retirees
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 10:37 PM | YBS Fan ]

Free agents announcing their retirements go under this post.
Re: Retirees
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 10:43 PM | YBS Fan ]

Qualified free agents who have announced their retirements include:

Yagi (Hanshin)
Seto (Hiroshima)
Shiozaki (Seibu)
Satoh (Lotte)
Miwa (Orix)
Resigned With Team
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 10:38 PM | YBS Fan ]

Players who have decided to stay with their teams get posted under this message.
Nishiguchi to Stay
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 6:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

Seibu's Nishiguchi has stated that he'd like to re-sign with the Lions and doesn't plan on exercising his right to free agency.
Re: Resigned With Team
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Oct 29, 2004 1:01 AM | HT Fan ]

Hiroshima's Takahashi and Asai won't declare free agency, and remain with the Carp.
Declared Free Agency
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 10:39 PM | YBS Fan ]

Players who declare free agency go under this post.
Re: Declared Free Agency
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 11:21 PM ]

Thanks, Westbay-san, as always. Can we put the players who are being posted below this post? We'll keep the rumors in this thread.

Jim Albright
Postings
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 8:39 AM | YBS Fan ]

I'd rather keep those players going through the posting system separate from the free agents. There won't be many, if any, so a new thread for each announced posting would be best.
Three Swallows Declare
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 8:47 AM | YBS Fan ]

Three Yakult Swallows declared free agency on the 27th.

Manaka says that there's magic in a new ball club and is expressing interest in going to Sendai (which ever company wins the bid) to help pull the new team.

Inaba is interested in going to the Majors. He plans on working out in Los Angeles for a month starting on December 13 and hopes for an invitation to a try out.

Suzuki Ken is terribly dissatisfied with (insulted by?) Yakult's first offer to him to stay with the club. However, I haven't read anything to indicate that he plans on going anywhere else. I think it's just a slap back reaction by him.
Two Giants Mail in Declarations
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 6:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Giants' Nishi and Shimizu have both mailed in their declarations for free agency.

Nishi says that he'll have his agent talk with the Gaints first, but is looking to head to the Majors.

Shimizu says that he plans on staying with the Giants, but is open to offers from other ball clubs.

I'm not sure why there was such an emphisis on the two mailing in their declarations of free agency. The Giants are notorious for not wanting to talk to agents, so perhaps they didn't want to hear any lecture about the huge mistake that they're making?
Saeki Likes Yokohama, but
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 6:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

Saeki has stated that he likes Yokohama, and is working on re-signing with the team. But he's declaring free agency anyway.

A week or two ago, Saeki met with the team to disucss signing for 2005 and said that more than being concerned with how much he got, he wanted the team to reduce ticket prices at Yokohama Stadium's infield section. Essentially, he wants to play in front of a full house more often, and points out that the cheaper outfield seats are always full while the more expensive infield seats are often conspicuously empty. While he says that talks are going well, there's nowhere to hide if he declares. (The article in today's (10/28) Nikkan Sports doesn't put these two things together, but I think that's what he's talking about with "nowhere to hide.")

Still, Saeki is moving ahead to stay with Yokohama and he hope to make an announcement after the Nichi-Bei Yakyu tournament.
Ohmura Declares 5 Minutes Early
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 7:05 PM | YBS Fan ]

Five minutes before the front office opened on October 27, Kintetsu's Ohmura had his free agency declaration prepared and ready to turn in.

Ohmura says that becoming a free agent is a once in a lifetime opportunity (actually, this is Kudoh's third) and he wants to use that opportunity to its fullest. He would like to be with a team where he can play every day.

While he won't rule out listening to a Major League offer, Ohmura stated that he is mainly interested in staying in Japan.
Is the List Final?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 9, 2004 1:46 AM ]

Do we now have a final list of those who declared free agency? Who are they?

Jim Albright
Re: 2004-5 Free Agents
[ Author: matteo | Posted: Nov 9, 2004 9:24 PM ]

What's going on with Kiyohara?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 9, 2004 10:50 PM | YBS Fan ]

From the front page of today's (November 9, 2004) Nikkan Sports, it looks like he's preemtively retiring before he's given his walking papers from the Giants.

He's only got 8 home runs to go for number 200. He hit 12 in 40 games this season (see his player profile page). The countdown to 200 has got to be worth something to some team, but does Kiyohara want to retire as anything other than a Giant?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 10, 2004 12:40 AM ]

Don't you mean 500 (homers)?

Jim Albright

[from westbaystars: Yep. Thanks for the correction.]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 10, 2004 1:33 AM ]

Just a small correction: Kiyohara is going for his 500th home run. He's 8 shy of 500, not 200. He is, no doubt, one of the greatest sluggers in Japanese baseball history.

[from westbaystars: Thank you for the correction.]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 10, 2004 1:40 AM ]

- He's only got 8 home runs to go for number 200.

Doesn't Kioyhara have 8 home runs to go to 500?

[from westbaystars: Yes, that's correct. My miss. Thank you.]
[ Author: matteo | Posted: Nov 10, 2004 9:58 PM ]

Surely the 500 mark is one that he would love to grab. But if Yomiuri doesn't wish to retain his services for next season, do you think any other team is willing to pay anywhere close to the handsome fee of 45,000-man (4.5-oku) for a 37 year old who has struggled with injuries?

Just a passing comment with no relation to this forum, Albright-san you seem to post many comments, why are you still not a member to the site?
Not Logged In
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 11, 2004 1:16 AM ]

It's just easier to do it this way, I guess. It's no big deal to me either way. The site is valuable, to be sure.

I've been doing it this way for at least a couple of years now, and you're the first to mention it. In any event, I use my own name, not some alias, and I can easily be found at baseballguru.com.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 21, 2004 10:03 AM ]

Takayuki Shimizu has said he will remain with Yomiuri. Shimizu signed a two-year contract with incentives. [Link - The Japan Times]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 24, 2004 5:52 AM ]

Yakult outfielder Mitsuru Manaka said that he will stay with the Swallows. [Link - Daily Yomiuri]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 28, 2004 7:47 AM ]

The Fighters said they are moving to acquire free agent outfielder Naoyuki Ohmura. Nippon Ham said they have contacted the agent for Ohmura, and are expected to offer him a multi-year contract. [Link - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 16, 2004 8:07 AM ]

The Hawks signed outfielder Naoyuki Omura to a 3 year contract. [Link - Daily Yomiuri]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 24, 2004 6:21 AM ]

Yomiuri re-signed Kimiyasu Kudoh to a deal worth 290,000,000 (2.9-oku) yen. [Link - Daily Yomiuri]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.