Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rhodes within One

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rhodes within One
Kintetsu came through with their 10th win in a row against the Chiba Lotte Marines, riding home runs by Rhodes in the first and Nakamura in the 4th and 8th.

Rhodes' home run was his 54th of the season, matching Bass' (Hanshin) record of hittng 54 in 128 games. Oh's 54th home run in his 55 HR season came in his 138th game, with #55 in game 140. Kintetsu now moves on to Kobe where Rhodes has hit 6 round trippers in 9 games.

Rhodes commented,

These past two games I've had the feeling "I'll do it, I'll do it!" far too strongly. But there is no pressure to set the record. What will be will be.

(Note: Translation of translation, so something may be lost.)

The two home runs by Nakamura help to emphisize to all the teams that pitiching around Rhodes won't help them any. They were numbers 43 and 44 on the season as "Norida" managed to keep pace with Cabrera (Seibu) who hit his 47th and 48th last night at Tokyo Dome.

On his hat, Rhodes wrote "USA" with a white paint pen, and both teams stood for a moment of silence before the game. Flags were at half mast at all 6 games to pay homage to those victimized in the terrorist attacks in the U.S. It was reported that Rhodes didn't sleep the night before as he, like many others, stared in disbelief at the TV. His wife works for Contenental Airlines, but was reported safe.

After the game, he asked reporters to not ask questions about anything but his home run. With Daiei's loss, Rhodes was told that Kintetsu is now in first. That was the first report of a smile on his face that evening as he replied, "That's what counts. If the season were to end today, I'd be happy." (Again, translation of translation.) No matter how many home runs he ends with, a championship is what it'll take to make this Buffaloe happy.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.