Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yomiuri Signs Kroon

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yomiuri Signs Kroon
The Yomiuri Giants signed closer Marc Kroon to a one year contract worth 350 million yen, with an mutual option for next year.

Kroon went 3-1 with 31 SV's and a 2.76 ERA in 43 games with the Yokohama BayStars last year.

Source: Japan Ball
Comments
Re: Yomiuri Signs Kroon
[ Author: Guest: tim mcleod | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 12:24 AM ]

This one I find a bit surprising. I guess Uehara, after setting a team record in saves last year, is now back in the rotation? He closed out a couple games this past weekend, so is it fair to assume that he's going to continue to close for the Olympic team and start for Yomiuri next year?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 10:48 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I guess Uehara, after setting a team record in saves last year, is now back in the rotation?

Uehara mentioned a while back he was disappointed to not be a starter. If they were to move him back to the rotation they would have to ease him slowly back to build up stamina, though remembering John Smoltz, he eased back perfectly to the rotation.

However, could it be possible that Yomiuri would keep him in the bullpen as a set-up man to Kroon? That would be a good combination to shut batters out at the end of games. With or without Uehara, the Giants rotation still looks sick, regardless if you like them or not.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 1:19 AM | NIP Fan ]

!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

What the...

Okay, well, now that I had a minute to pick my jaw up off the floor, I see that Kroon has already written something about it on his website:
"I am happy to say that I have become a member of the Tokyo Giants. It has been a very tough off season for my family and I. I am thankful for my 3 years in Yokohama, but today I start a new chapter in my life. I am excited to join a team that played very well last year. The Giants have a lot of talent and I hope to contribute to the success of the team. I want to thank the Giants organization for giving me the opportunity to join their team. The Giants have a lot of history and I hope I can become part of that history. When I get to Tokyo I will have a press conference and address all the questions that need to be answered. Once again, thank you to my fans in Yokohama who have supported me for 3 years. I hope I can get the same support while playing for the Giants. I am very excited to join the Giants family and I look forward to camp next year."
I sure hope he doesn't get the same support from Yokohama fans when he's playing for the Giants ... unless, of course, he comes in and implodes in the 9th inning against them too. But that'll be, uh, a different kind of fan reaction.

I also like the way he implies that the BayStars didn't play very well last year.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 5:58 AM ]

Does this mean that Uehara will return to return to being a starting pitcher?
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 10:28 AM ]

I think Uehara stays in the closer's role. He will be in MLB in 2009 if he stays healthy, so if the option on Kroon's contract is picked up, he will provide plenty of insurance in the relief department for the Giants.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 10:24 AM | CLM Fan ]

It's a shame Uehara doesn't want to be a closer, because his fantastic control sets him apart in that role. His fork ball makes him like Kaz Sasaki, but with pinpoint accuracy and less velocity.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 9:15 PM ]

Uehara will be back in the rotation. His being their closer was a one year thing only.

What makes Uehara a good closer is that he bombs the strike zone and makes you earn your way on. He doesn't beat himself.

Kroon got off to a slow start last season and then rebounded to have a pretty good overall year. The Giants tend to be a little itchier on the trigger finger, so it will be interesting to see what they do if Kroon blows a couple of games early.
OT: Uehara and the Olympics
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 6, 2007 11:31 PM ]

So Gary, what is your take on the Olympic situation? Team Japan certainly has depth in their bullpen, but how does Uehara fit in? His value in that situation is more tied into his ability to work as a closer rather than in a starting capacity it would appear.
OT: Uehara and the Olympics
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 7, 2007 5:03 AM | CLM Fan ]

There were some perfect pitches he threw in the Olympic qualifiers that the batters couldn't do anything with. If they let it go, it'd be called a strike. They swing, it'll either be a whiff or an easy out.

I think what really makes Uehara great is his ability not just to throw great strikes, but also great balls. He absolutely teases batters with those borderline pitches. I think he would have his way with MLB batters.
[ Author: Guest: Zman | Posted: Dec 8, 2007 3:37 PM ]

Welcome to the big time. Nice increase in the salary, too, from the B-class BayStars.

Kroon will get a lot more TV exposure now with his blazing fastball and crooked cap.

Who is next on the YGs shopping list?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 8, 2007 6:10 PM | HAN Fan ]

Greisinger will be - though they will have to compete with the Tigers for him.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Dec 8, 2007 9:35 PM ]

Well, if they get more all-star talent it will save money on uniforms for the all-star game since all the players will be YG players. They can just use their away uniforms.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 8, 2007 10:46 PM ]

Uehara, no matter what role they put him in, will get the job done. He's a real smart guy and thus will also provide some leadership to the other hurlers.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.