Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Longest Team Name Standings

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Longest Team Name Standings
Well, with the Fighters moving to Sapporo this year, they have pulled in front from their previous length NIPPON HAM FIGHTERS (17 letters) to take a commanding lead to the HOKKAIDO NIPPON HAM FIGHTERS (25 letters).

This year they passed the OSAKA KINTETSU BUFFALOES, who took the lead in the late 1990s by adding OSAKA to their name (probably letting Osaka know they are the team that calls Osaka home, and not Hanshin).

Here are the current standings
     1 HOKKAIDO NIPPON HAM FIGHTERS (25)
    2 OSAKA KINTETSU BUFFALOES (22)
    3 FUKUOKA DAIEI HAWKS (17)
    3 HIROSHIMA TOYO CARP (17)
    5 YOKOHAMA BAYSTARS (16)
    5 CHIBA LOTTE MARINES (16)
    7 CHUNICHI DRAGONS (15)
    8 YAKULT SWALLOWS (14)
    9 YOMIURI GIANTS (13)
    10 HANSHIN TIGERS (12)
    10 ORIX BLUEWAVE (12)
    12 SEIBU LIONS (10)
This lead will most likely be permanent (with the exception of scenario like Yukijurushi (Hokkaido based dairy company) buying a team and moving them to Asahikawa (in the center of Hokkaido) and calling them the Purple Snowflakes).
Comments
Re: Longest Team Name Standings
[ Author: HaruSaru | Posted: Mar 5, 2004 2:32 AM | HC Fan ]

Hmmm. An interesting ranking.
[ Author: Guest: 20X6 | Posted: Dec 19, 2004 7:23 PM ]

Well, I'm about to put my foot in my mouth. Lo and behold, we now have the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles which, at 25 letters, has sprung out of nowhere to tie with HNHF for longest team name.

With the merger and creation of the Orix Buffaloes (13) and after Softbank bought the Hawks, their name is being reduced to the Fukuoka Hawks (12 letters), and a mistake in counting of the Tigers' letters, the standings are currently:
    1. HOKKAIDO NIPPON HAM FIGHTERS (25)
    1. TOHOKU RAKUTEN GOLDEN EAGLES (25)
    3. HIROSHIMA TOYO CARP (17)
    3. CHIBA LOTTE MARINES (17)
    5. YOKOHAMA BAYSTARS (16)
    6. CHUNICHI DRAGONS (15)
    7. YAKULT SWALLOWS (14)
    8. YOMIURI GIANTS (13)
    8. HANSHIN TIGERS (13)
    8. ORIX BUFFALOES (13)
    11. FUKUOKA HAWKS (12)
    12. SEIBU LIONS (10)

[Editors' note: I've recounted them all and made a couple of appropriate changes from what was posted. Spaces don't count in the above lengths.]
[ Author: Guest: 20X6 | Posted: Dec 21, 2004 5:42 PM ]

Let's just say I thought Chiba had only four letters. Or, that the "e" in Marines is silent and therefore does not exist (in deep philosophical tone). - or - that I didn't double-check all the names. You decide.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Dec 22, 2004 1:03 AM | HAN Fan ]

We should add to or have a companion list of defunct, merged, or name changed teams to the ranking.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.