Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Blue Wave Name Robertson Executive Advisor

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Blue Wave Name Robertson Executive Advisor
Nikkansports.com [Japanese] reported today that Mariyon Robertson of CB Richard Ellis was named Executive Advisor for the Orix Blue Wave. Two months ago he had also been named Exucutive Advisor for the city of Osaka. According to a 2001 article in the New York Observer, Mr. Robertson has been involved in U.S. - Japanese baseball issues and assisted in the understanding of baseball policies, including trade disputes (??).

He apparently has been contributing regularly as a columnist to several magazines, such as Wingspan and as a regular commentator for the NHK/BS program "Major League Weekly." He was born in Japan and moved to the United States permanently in 1984 to become a high-powered real-estate executive. He befriended Mets co-owner, Fred Wilpon, and tried unsuccessfully to buy the Montreal Expos.

Why is this real-estate exec brought in? Is this part of a deal to sell/redevelop their stadium to American investors?
Comments
Re: Blue Wave Name Robertson Executive Advisor
[ Author: Guest: annon | Posted: Aug 15, 2005 6:40 AM ]

I think it's great. With the information I've read about Robertson, he does know what he is doing and he seems like a great, hard working man. I've personally read the articles in magazines he has written and they are fantastic. He knows this game front and back. His experience in the real estate buisness doesn't hurt anyone either, only makes others more knowledgable of it. And also, seeing that he is fluent in both English and Japanese, he can create cultural diffusion between Japan and America. He can make the stadium more appealing, and such. He can also influence and educate not only the baseball players but also the fans and everyone else.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Aug 17, 2005 1:03 AM | HAN Fan ]

WOW! The original posting was on December 27, 2003. The last reply was dated August 14, 2005. This might be the longest period between orginal post and first reply!
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 9:14 AM | HT Fan ]

And you have to wonder, too, exactly what impact Robertson had on the world of yakyu. Is he still around?
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 2:23 PM | HAN Fan ]

I wonder how much influence Robertson did have in the 2004 Orix BlueWave/Kintetsu Buffaloes merger mess.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 7:08 PM ]

What I'm wondering is he still around? Whatever happened to Robertson after the merger? It would be interesting to know if he still with Orix or not.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.