Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Orix Takes First Round of Kansai Sereies

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Orix Takes First Round of Kansai Sereies
We're into the second round of inter-league play, and have the Orix Buffaloes hosting the Hanshin Tigers for the battle of Kansai. And it's the Orix Buffaloes who come out on top 2-1 with some great pitching by Motoyanagi and Katoh, as well as excellent defense by Ohnishi in center.

Orix has extended their winning streak to 5 games.
Comments
Re: Orix Takes First Round of Kansai Sereies
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: May 25, 2007 8:55 PM ]

Yeah, it seems like "highlights" is synonymous with showing the Tigers' missed chances. Bases loaded with one out in the eighth and couldn't even manage a game-tying sacrifice fly.

Well, fortunately the skies have cleared up and I'm off to Skymark tomorrow, one of the best stadiums in Japan. Tonight looked like a good game, but watching baseball in the Kyocera Dome is always a last resort.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 25, 2007 9:34 PM | HAN Fan ]

Orix were fairly lucky to win this game. Motoyanagi was ordinary and was lucky to escape unscathed. Sorry but we're looking at a very ordinary team (Orix).
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: May 26, 2007 12:26 AM ]

Akahoshi would have made it if he took off after tagging up on that fly ball in the 8th. I had doubts about his speed coming back from an injury, but thought he had gas when he stole second in the same inning.

Make no mistake, Orix are awful. This wasn't a good night for the Tigers.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 26, 2007 12:32 AM | HT Fan ]

I thought Davey pitched well, which undoubtedly caused some of those "missed" chances (although I thought his petulant rant late in the game ruined the outing). The Orix fielding was excellent at some critical times, too. It was an entertaining game.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 26, 2007 3:30 AM | CLM Fan ]

How come it's always the opponent that is so ordinary when the Tigers get beaten? If Orix and Hiroshima are so ordinary, are the Tigers absolutely terrible?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 26, 2007 8:41 AM | SFT Fan ]

Hanshin's terrible, too, but so is Orix. I still remember listening to some of the replies over in this thread where a lot were swearing that Orix would be contenders out of nowhere. Orix is miles behind even Rakuten for dead last. Collins is beginning to start looking like he's on the hot seat. I don't know why it's so hard for some to see Orix isn't anything special. But neither is Hanshin this year.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 26, 2007 3:42 PM | YBS Fan ]

So you're suggesting that the Tigers are a B-Class team? Hmmm. Looking at the standings as of the end of play on May 25, 2007:
       Team      Games  Wins  Losses  Ties  Win%   GB
A Chunichi 47 27 19 1 .587 --
| Giants 47 27 20 0 .574 0.5
Class Yokohama 43 21 22 0 .488 4.5
-----------------------------------------------------
B Hiroshima 45 21 23 1 .477 5.0
| Hanshin 45 20 24 1 .455 6.0
Class Yakult 43 14 29 0 .326 11.5
Hey! It looks like they are! Now if only we can convince some others of that fact.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 26, 2007 9:08 AM | HAN Fan ]

Yes - though I wouldn't have classified the Giants, Dragons, or Hawks as ordinary.
Orix Takes Second Round of Kansai Series
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 26, 2007 4:28 PM | YBS Fan ]

Orix takes the second round as well, by a score of 7-0 in an afternoon game in beautiful Green Stadium Kobe (aka Skymark Stadium). Orix has now won 6 games in a row for the first time in six years. At that time, they won 8 in a row.

The hero of the game was starting pitcher Hirano. He threw 121 pitches over 7 innings to 27 batters, allowing 5 hits and 3 walks while striking out 8.

Hanshin's defense appeared to leave something to be desired. One could say that the ball just didn't bounce their way, whereas all the breaks went to Orix; like the diving line drive grab by Gotoh at second or the relay from center to nail Imaoka at the plate. Catcher Hidaka gets credit for a nice block on that play.

Orix played good baseball. Hanshin didn't. The better team won the game and the first half of the Kansai Series.
Re: Orix Takes Second Round of Kansai Series
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 26, 2007 5:15 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hanshin seem to be finding new ways to play poorly. Yan is a complete washout (this time he didn't last to the third inning), and the use of Nohmi as his replacement suggested a total inability to to judge anything. Batting continues to be a problem, and if you can't score off of someone like Hirano, then you have serious problems. In the sixth and eighth they had two on with no outs and blew both opportunities (this was Sheets, Kanemoto, and Imaoka both times).

Orix continue to remain mediocre and will stay that way - beating Hanshin will not help them there. Hanshin, though, now have the potential to finish at the bottom.
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: May 26, 2007 5:52 PM ]

Hanshin's rotation is in shambles! Not for a minute am I suggesting this side deserves to be considered "A class" the way they're playing at the moment. At least this should finally see Yan sent down to the farm team. I'm surprised he's had as many chances as he did.

What surprised me most was Nakamura being brought in as relief today after a superb performance in his last start. He was in the rotation in ni-gun and made some fine starts. I thought he was probably going to start tomorrow or Monday. Very perplexing.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 26, 2007 8:24 PM | HT Fan ]

- In the sixth and eighth they had two on with no outs and blew both opportunities (this was Sheets, Kanemoto, and Imaoka both times).

And yet, and yet, who hit Hanshin's only home run yesterday? Sheets. A couple of games ago Imaoka had two consecutive multi-hit games. Kanemoto is hitting .294 in his last five games.

Gee whiz. Calm down why don't you - just enjoy the baseball for a change. The Tigers aren't going to win every game. They may not even beat Orix or Rakuten. So what? They haven't been playing so well lately. OK, and neither have the Giants. Orix has been showing some rare spark. It's not the end of the world.

Now I'm going back to my Neudorf chardonnay to drown my sorrows in the wake of another Hanshin loss. But we'll get 'em next time.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 26, 2007 10:22 PM | HAN Fan ]

Burying your head in the sand won't help. Kanemoto's average and Imaoka's multi-hit games didn't lead to an improvement in position did they? The Curate's Egg approach hasn't normally been employed as a strategy for sporting success.

Given the talent in the side they ought to do better - the fact that they don't is a matter of concern for Hanshin fans. I appreciate that you have a desire to argue with everything I write, but sometimes it is a bit extreme. Hanshin are in trouble, and you do need to wake up to this.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 27, 2007 12:41 AM | HT Fan ]

- I appreciate that you have a desire to argue with everything I write, but sometimes it is a bit extreme.

No, not at all, it's just that it's so easy to disagree with most of what you write. There's no desire there. I just can't help myself.

Look, I've said Hanshin has problems, but the difference in our approach is that you tend to be extremely negative; I see things with a little more perspective. Hey, I've been going to Tigers games since 1992. Don't tell me about bad performances - I saw a whole decade's worth. The last couple of years have been great for the Tigers, and even this year the team is still competitive, no matter how negative you choose to be. Enjoy the victories when they come, and admit that other teams sometimes play better. Even Orix on their day. You'll get used to it.

And it's a long season, they're only a couple of games back. Things can and do turn around.

Wake up to myself? That's a hoot. As if being extremely negative and bitter when they lose will somehow help them win.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 27, 2007 1:18 AM | HT Fan ]

- Kanemoto's average and Imaoka's multi-hit games didn't lead to an improvement in position did they?

Actually they did! You do realize the Tigers swept Yokohama last weekend, and beat the Hawks the other night. Let's see how these three guys performed:

5/18 Tigers 4 BayStars 1: Imaoka: 2 for 4, scored two runs.
5/19 Tigers 6 BayStars 0: Sheets: 2 for 4, 2 HRs, 3 RBIs; Imaoka: 2 for 4; Kanemoto: 2 for 4, 1 RBI.
5/20 Tigers 1 BayStars 0: Kanemoto scored the only run of the game.
5/23: Sheets and Kanemoto: 1 RBI each.

Mmmm. Seems obvious to me that they had a hand in all four wins. In that period the Tigers improved from 8 to 5 games behind. So yes, they did improve the team's position.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 27, 2007 3:22 PM | HAN Fan ]

Tigers are still fifth and cannot generate any momentum. So even though we have the odd win with the help of these guys, it is not enough to move Hanshin up the table. They were fifth and have remained fifth. There is also no indication of where the improvement will come. It is no use sweeping the Swallows and then losing nine in a row or beating the BayStars and then losing the next three out of four including to Orix.

The term I think you're looking for is realistic. This year Tigers' performance is B class. Pitching is abysmal and batting doesn't happen. I see today Sugiyama didn't last two innings. The odd bright jewel is all very well, but it doesn't win championships or get the team into the playoffs. Pitchers need to be consistent for 5 or 6 innings. Batters need to hit with runners on base. None of this is happening consistently.

This is the reality, and as this is a Japanese baseball discussion site, it is a legitimate topic and there is nothing wrong with being critical. If you can tell me where the improvement is going to come from, I'd be interested to hear. Until then I'm afraid my opinion is the one that represents the actuality.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 28, 2007 12:39 AM | HT Fan ]

- They were fifth and have remained fifth.

Well the position itself is irrelevant. You've really got to focus on the number of games you're behind. In 2003, second place had little meaning because the Tigers were so far ahead. This year things are a lot closer, and with the playoff system in place, the Tigers are effectively still only three games back, even with all those horrible results. So the season isn't over by a long shot. It's not even June yet, and you're running around like Chicken Little.

- If you can tell me where the improvement is going to come from, I'd be interested to hear...

Well, no - I'm afraid I'm not as adept at predicting all the vagaries and twists and turns of the average baseball season with as much certainly as you obviously can. My basic assertion is that there's no point getting hysterical about being three games back in May. If the team is as laden with talent as you claim, then there's a good chance the current slump won't continue (assuming the team hasn't already succumbed to the same negativity you're assailing us with). Maybe part of the problem is that the other teams have simply been playing better, but that's something you refuse to countenance.

- Until then I'm afraid my opinion is the one that represents the actuality.

Good grief. All right, I give up. Yes, Christopher, your opinion is always the only correct one. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I sincerely apologize for having questioned that actuality.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 28, 2007 9:41 AM | HAN Fan ]

The position is irrelevant? I think you may want to reconsider here. It is very difficult to overturn a position as the Dragons' efforts in 2005 (remained second) and the Tigers' efforts in 2004 (they had a massive winning streak in September and remained in fourth) and 2006 (remained second) testify. The position is very relevant I'm afraid.

Another factor is the way they are losing. Pitchers not even lasting three innings and batters are not hitting. There are problems here. As I mentioned with Hiroshima's record, they only have a winning record against the Tigers (in the Central League) - this does not indicate a team playing better (except against the Tigers). Logically, the problem is the Tigers, not an improvement in Hiroshima.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 28, 2007 6:47 PM | HT Fan ]

- The position is irrelevant?

Yes. It's not relevant at this stage of the season. How is it difficult to overturn a lead of three games with more than two-thirds of the season left to play? It happens all the time in all sports at all levels, all over the world. I'm not saying it will happen this time; I'm saying if the Tigers are as talent-laden as you claim (those are your words), then it's got to be a possibility.

I understand how you feel. It's frustrating. But they've just got to keep plugging away. Tweak here and there, work with the individual players to see why they're not hitting or pitching or fielding as well as they should be. You can bring a few guys up from the farm, consider another import or two. But moaning and groaning about it won't help. Panicking won't. And calling it some sort of mysterious malaise definitely won't help either.

Am I a realist? Yes, in politics, business, and baseball. The reality here is that the Tigers are three games back. It's not quite the end of May. Plenty of time to turn it around. These are facts, not opinions.

(Oh yes, as to your point about Hiroshima only beating Hanshin, then it follows, surely, that as they don't play Hanshin again until August, there's plenty of opportunity there for Hiroshima to fall back in the standings. Leaving the room open for ... the Tigers! Sorry, just trying to be logical.)
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 29, 2007 9:44 AM | HAN Fan ]

The last point is a very good one. However, I would still say that the position is very relevant. I am basing this on 2004 where the Tigers fell rapidly and stayed B class. Certainly, there is plenty of time to turn things round but is it possible?

For the Tigers and the way they are playing overturning a lead of three games is incredibly difficult. Where are they going to get the pitching stability to do so? None of the starters can generate enough innings on anything like a consistent basis. Hopefully, when Andoh returns he will be able to add something as no-one else is currently able to do so. There is no indication that the management have a strategy to correct the problems.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 29, 2007 11:06 AM | HT Fan ]

- Where are they going to get the pitching stability to do so?

Actually I think the batting is the main problem. Yes you'll probably disagree - I can take it - but that's how I see it. The Tigers are basically holding their own in terms of number of hits. But they're not hitting well in the clutch, nor are they hitting enough home runs. So while it's not a good situation to be in - scratching around for pitchers to complete nine innings - the problem is certainly not insurmountable with better batting.

Now that Williams is out due to injury, they've got to get some fresh arms from the farm, or outside the organization. And quick. But if they're to make up those three games (and it's still three games because Hiroshima lost again yesterday), it'll be because the hitters have started to hit well again.

It's fine to be defeatist about it if you want to, but teams don't win pennants by mournfully inspecting their navels every time they experience a rough patch. Look, I know where you're coming from, and maybe the management is as hopeless as you say, but I'm assuming that a team that's won two pennants in four years would still have some essence of what it takes to win. Okada may look like a sad sack in the dugout, but he has a stellar record as a manager both at ni-gun level and with the top team. I'm assuming he's working with his coaches - as we speak - trying to find a way out of the maze.

Is it possible? You betcha.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: May 26, 2007 8:50 PM ]

Yeah, I was at the game and Hanshin really pulled together to play sloppy together. They must be leading the lead in batting average with the bases empty. They had several threats and nothing came of them. Not to take anything away from Orix's pitching, but that just seems to be the Tigers' theme this year - lack of clutch hitting.

I won't even mention the starting pitching because that's just too depressing to think about right now.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: May 27, 2007 8:36 PM ]

When your team makes a run at the championship once every 20 years you learn to put things in perspective.

Hanshin looks the loser right now. You can see the frustration in their faces, they have not begun to track at all this year. And they may never do so. I point to their pitching which, as the above post points out, is simply depressing.

But Orix is awful, and thay also will continue to be. The posts by the Orix faithful early on were comical. I don't see those posts anymore. When Kiyohara comes back they will suffer more, if that is possible.

As for A teams in the Central League Westbay, don't try to sneak your BayStars in there. Being in third is a fluke. The Dragons are an A team and the Midgets on the border between A and B (B+ is my guess).
In Defense of Orix
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 28, 2007 2:45 AM | CLM Fan ]

As someone who is a fan of the mighty Chiba Lotte Marines, who just made Hanshin look like a joke yet again, I still stand by my stance with Orix. Collins is unbiased and making moves when he has to make them. I didn't even expect Rhodes and LaRocca to bat this well, so they're actually performing above expectations right now.

I don't understand what's with all the Orix bashing. So they lost a bunch of games in a row and had struggles with starters and batting average. There is still plenty of baseball left to play. I would agree that the old Orix would've been done after those losing streaks, but this team has a hunger that just won them their seventh straight.

Kiyohara is not going to get an automatic spot in the order. Kitagawa is doing too well to lose his spot automatically. Besides, who says Kiyohara will even be back this year? There's a good chance he'll retire.

You win games with pitching. The Orix rotation has been very weak, but Collins will make the moves he needs to make in order to keep scores low. After those losing streaks, though, it will be very difficult to get back in the playoff hunt. Darvish and Wakui could keep Rakuten and Orix far away from the playoffs on their own.

BTW, the BayStars and Carp are far from flukes. Good managers make a huge difference. Also, the BayStars' additions of Terahara and Nishi have been key for them.
Re: In Defense of Orix
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 28, 2007 11:24 AM | YBS Fan ]

I'm not bashing Orix. In fact, I started this tangent with the purpose of giving Orix credit for playing good ball.

What has Orix been doing right this past week? To me it's been their relief pitching. The relievers have been doing the jobs they were sent out there to do. What makes Katoh Daisuke, Motoyanagi, and/or Yoshida better at hold games down this year (or even during this past week) than before? Collins-kantoku and his staff most likely have a part in it. Or perhaps it's been the Billiken ningyo that's been watching over the team from the bench during this winning streak, if anyone doesn't want to give credit to the coaches and players.

Orix has been playing well, and deserves credit. Are they a pennant contender? Not yet. One thing that really got me thinking after reading "Management by Baseball" is that a drastic (polar opposite) change in leadership will produce short term production boosts under most conditions. I think we're seeing this with Orix and (the fluke?) Yokohama. Really good managers will not just fix the immediate problems, but will continue to put out fires wherever they come up. But it will take seasons to judge Collins-kantoku and Ohya-kantoku (who has a proven record for champion building).

Orix is a team in transition right now. Having new management that does everything different takes some time to get used to. Collins-kantoku is starting out with a team in shambles, and the two long losing streaks didn't help. But the ball players he has are professionals. They may not be the "best of the best" like some other teams can afford, but they are part of the top tier of players in Japan and deserve some respect. Please remember, Hanshin was the joke of the Central League for a very long time.

As for the Kiyohara Problem, I'm not sure what will happen when he's claiming to be back 100%. Collins-kantoku may find himself in a political battle with the front office if he tries to use logic (like saying that Kitagawa is too valuable to set out). The front office doesn't care about winning, they care about reputation and popularity (and don't realize that there is a correlation to winning).

Hanshin's front office tied Normua-kantoku's hands after promising him control, perpetuating the Tigers' losing ways after initial success. Hoshino-kantoku put Hanshin's front office in their place, and was able to sustain success.

Yokohama has had one of the most meddling front offices, chasing both Ohya-kantoku and Gondoh-kantoku from their managerial positions due to interference in the late 1990s. From what I've heard, little has changed in this regard with the change in ownership from Maruha to TBS. As I've said before, though, Ohya-kantoku has a record for building a contender over a short amount of time, despite the interference from the front office. But I'm straying off topic.

My point is that the Buffaloes are doing well right now and deserve credit for it.
Orix
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 28, 2007 5:44 PM | HAN Fan ]

A very nice defense, and very well argued. There is one point that perhaps is missing. Most of the Orix detractors are judging Orix at the level they play at. Whilst they are professional players and very skillful, the standards they should be held to are the standards currently pertaining in NPB. When we use these standards then, like the Carp and Tigers, they have to be classified as mediocre. They do not possess the resources in depth or the coaching staff to become playoff contenders and any run of victories should be considered in context.

Of the teams likely to be playoff contenders, we would logically look at the Hawks, Marines, Lions, and Fighters in the Pacific League. Giants and Dragons in the Central League with the third place being contested between the BayStars and Carp. Personally, despite the BayStars' lack of depth, I think they will manage third. The third playoff place is going to be interesting because it will boil down to who can loose the least, not who wins the most. The Tigers and Swallows are out of it more because they are both playing so terribly than because of any lack of talent.

Rakuten (despite its improvement) and Orix likewise are not going to contend for a playoff place.
Re: Orix
[ Author: Guest: Gern B. | Posted: May 29, 2007 2:46 PM ]

Don't you think it's a bit early in the season to count out Hanshin and Orix for playoff spots? It's still relatively early in the season and anything can happen. This is the beauty of the game.

A true Hanshin fan would never call them mediocre, no matter what.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 29, 2007 5:17 PM | HAN Fan ]

A crazy fan might not call them mediocre, but a true fan would. One cannot call their performance anything but, and it would be unrealistic to say anything else.

As for Orix, this year they are in the same situation, and given that there are four very strong teams ahead of them, they are not going to be able to overcome the difference in quality. They need two out of Nippon Ham, Seibu, Softbank, and Lotte to really mess up.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: May 30, 2007 12:25 AM | HT Fan ]

Hanshin Tigers, hmmm. Sumimasen ga, mediocre? Never. Surprising, disappointing, and irritating to my gallstones? Hai.

But as A Wise Baseball Sage once put it succinctly,
"It ain't over 'til it's over." There's a lot of season ahead. And the Fat Lady don't sing in May.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: May 31, 2007 10:09 PM ]

- The third playoff place is going to be interesting because it will boil down to who can loose the least, not who wins the most.

Is this a Yogi Berra quote? If so you should cite your sources, like this . . .

"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical." by Yogi Berra
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:35 AM | HT Fan ]

Or perhaps:

"This is like deja vu all over again."
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:33 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Is this a Yogi Berra quote?

That isn't a Yogiism. There's no need to cite anything.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:26 AM | HAN Fan ]

No - nothing to do with him.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Jun 1, 2007 12:47 PM ]

Well, since in most instances a win for one team means a loss for another, the quote is a candidate for a Yogism.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:54 PM | HAN Fan ]

It's a difference in philosophy. Some teams play to win, some teams play to avoid defeat.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.