Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kokubo Traded for Nothing

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kokubo Traded for Nothing
Unless I'm reading this wrong, it appears Daiei third baseball Kokubo Hiroki was "traded" to the Giants for - zilch. Am I reading that correctly?

Kokubo was out for the year with a shoulder injury, but he has the Daiei record for home runs - career and single season. Does anyone know what's up?
Comments
Re: Kokubo Traded for Nothing
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 5, 2003 9:56 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, you read correctly. Daiei sent Kokubo to the Giants for nothing in return. On the one hand, it could be seen as unloading a 2-oku yen contract for a player who played a grand total of 0 games in 2003. On the other, Daiei's front office recieved upwards to 100 calls an hour from irate Hawk fans. The team seemed pretty demoralized by the trade during the first day of Fall Camp as well.

I can't believe they'd send him to the Giants for nothing. Kokubo is far too valuable a player to dump like that, even though he was injured all last season. There has got to be something going on under the table here. The Giants are already involved in another "scandal" due to Watanabe-owner's comment that he'd like to get Rhodes. I'd like to start another thread on that one later, though.

Meanwhile, Iguchi met with representatives for two hours yesterday, still asking for Daiei to fulfill their promise to post him. The talks ended with the front office not changing their minds or their offer. Whether Iguchi gets posted or not is expected to be drawn out for a rather long time.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:34 AM ]

Just my opinion, but I agree with Westbay-san that something is going on under the table. Perhaps Kyojin are paying Daiei extra money to help them financially.

Either way, this stinks. Bad enough to trade Kokubo before the aftermath of the parade has been cleaned up, plus the uncertainty surrounding Iguchi, Muramatsu, etc. But to the Giants? Yes, they're the only team that can afford to add 2-oku to their payroll, but at least make them pay with a draft pick. Anything!

People keep saying NPB is losing fans because of MLB. I disagree. NPB is losing fans because the Giants keep pulling stunts like this. No, it doesn't guarantee the Giants a championship (they still need to address their dreadful pitching, especially bullpen), and it doesn't help one bit. I think it's time NPB implemented either revenue sharing or a salary cap to help teams like the Carp and Swallows, other breeding grounds for future Giants players, to be able to compete.

Meanwhile, Etoh will be the most expensive pinch hitter on earth. I'm sure he's ruing the day he priced himself out of Hiroshima, with the tiny stadium and adoring fans.

As for the Hawks, I really feel like they were lucky to pull out the Nippon Series win this year. They literally limped to the championship, with Matsunaka banged up, Muramatsu still feeling effects of his collar bone, and Kawasaki sustaining the pummeling during game 4(?). Now with no reinforcements in Kokubo coming, Iguchi and Muramatsu possibly gone, and any sense of loyalty towards their team out the window, I really doubt they'll be able to compete. Of course with Matsui [Seibu to MLB or CL] leaving and Rhodes [Kintetsu to CL] possibly leaving, that leaves this year's PL A-Class severely depleted, giving hope to Ham and Lotte to emerge as viable threats to steal the Pacific League. Not a bad thing.

Still, this whole episode should leave a bad taste in every NPB fan's mouth.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 6, 2003 2:22 AM ]

- People keep saying NPB is losing fans because of MLB. I disagree. NPB is losing fans because the Giants keep pulling stunts like this. No, it doesn't guarantee the Giants a championship (they still need to address their dreadful pitching, especially bullpen), and it doesn't help one bit. I think it's time NPB implemented either revenue sharing or a salary cap to help teams like the Carp and Swallows, other breeding grounds for future Giants players, to be able to compete.

The NPB should start by forcing Yomiuri to actually obey the rules. Next, they should make all 12 teams take one-half of their regular season gate receipts and local broadcast revenue and put it into a common pot to be divided 12 ways. The reason for the 1/2 figure is that in any game, there are 2 sides or it is merely practice. Yomiuri will still have financial advantages due to its fan base, but the size of the advantage will be greatly reduced.

I'd leave out playoff revenue from the pool as an incentive to win. You could provide further incentive by dividing any league or NPB wide broadcast revenue into regular season and playoff pots (dependent upon games broadcast and ratings). The regular season revenue goes into the common pot, while the playoff revenue goes to the playoff teams.

I don't think a salary cap would be a good idea, since NPB not only has to contend with internal pressures, but also has to contend with MLB seeking to sign its players. So long as MLB isn't party to the cap, a cap would leave NPB at a negotiating disadvantage. Since they should be on guard against losing too much of their top talent to MLB, a cap would hamper them in a critical area.

If the revenue sharing weren't enough to solve the problem of Yomiuri's Goliath versus 11 Davids (at least some of whom even lack slingshots), then they could seriously look at what options were avaialable (contraction, merger with another league either MLB or Asian, etc.).

Unfortunately, until the principle that the Giants are only one-half of the show in even a Giants' game, and therefore must answer to the rules applicable to their fellow teams, none of this will come to pass. I suspect that only if Yomiuri's management itself comes to realize the truth and importance of this (or there is a deal reached with MLB) is it likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Jim Albright
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 7, 2003 2:18 AM | HT Fan ]

- The NPB [...] should make all 12 teams take one-half of their regular season gate receipts and local broadcast revenue and put it into a common pot to be divided 12 ways.

Hi Jim. Might I ask a question? My first reaction to the above statement was "Yeah, that's right." But then I got a sneaking suspicion: would that not act as an incentive for out-of-form teams (like 2003's BayStars and Blue Wave or 1998-2001 Hanshin) to just give up on a season completely when it becomes clear that they'll be getting the wooden spoon? If a team is guaranteed that income, would it not be better to not bother about winning, give their 2-gun rookies some 1-gun experience, and ride it out until next season when they can use that extra cash they "earned" by playing the Giants to buy better players?

On the other hand:

- ...the problem of Yomiuri's Goliath versus 11 Davids (at least some of whom even lack slingshots).

Hear hear!

I'd be interested to hear what you - and anyone else, of course - has to say.
Iguchi's Limbo
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 5, 2003 12:57 PM | HT Fan ]

- Meanwhile, Iguchi met with representatives for two hours yesterday, still asking for Daiei to fulfill their promise to post him. The talks ended with the front office not changing their minds or their offer. Whether Iguchi gets posted or not is expected to be drawn out for a rather long time.

Thanks for the update, Westbay-san. One question: What's the Hawks' offer?
Re: Iguchi's Limbo
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 5, 2003 8:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Hawks are offering him a multi-year deal (Nikkan Sports doesn't say how many years) with next year's salary being 2.4-oku yen.
[ Author: weirdgaijin | Posted: Nov 11, 2003 10:05 PM ]

So lets get this Giants thing straight. They got Kokubo for nothing. Then made a "Love Call" to Rhodes before talks broke down for him to join the Giants.

Is it me or the Giants seriously loading up on the long-ball drivers?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.