Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2003 Nippon Series Game 6

Discussion in the NPB News forum
2003 Nippon Series Game 6
The Series moves back to Fukuoka Dome where the Hawks will host the Tigers. After winning the first two games at Fukuoka Dome, Daiei was swept for three games at Koshien by Hanshin. So the Nippon Series stands Daiei 2 - 3 Hanshin.

I'll be hosting the live play-by-play chat once again this evening. Game time is just under an hour from this post's timestamp. See you there.
Comments
Re: 2003 Nippon Series Game 6
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 26, 2003 9:51 PM | YBS Fan ]

We're going to Game Seven tomorrow. In the mean time, enjoy Game Six:

TRANSCRIPT generated on: /26 21:34
CHATROOM: n Series Game 6/Back to Fukuoka Dome/english//26 17:23
MODERATORS: westbaystars

18:00: Allen: - I'm going to try to hang in there with you guys for a bit. It's around 2 AM here in California
18:09: Peter: - hi where can i watch in internet the game live
18:09: Peter: - ?????
18:15: westbaystars: - OK. Just got back from dinner. We're a few minutes away from the start of the game.
18:15: westbaystars: - To my knowledge, you can't watch the game on the Internet.
18:16: allen: - Thanks Westbaystars for providing this service.
18:16: westbaystars: - There are several threads on watching the game on TV in North America. Please refer to the forums for those.
18:16: westbaystars: - My pleasure. Getting fingers warmed up now.
18:17: Goemon: - Any news on tonights starting pitchers
18:17: westbaystars: - 2 am. Sounds tough.
18:18: allen: - This is the first and only night I can join because of my work schedule
18:18: westbaystars: - Yes. Sugiuchi vs. Irabu.
18:18: westbaystars: - Game 2 match-up.
18:18: westbaystars: - Well, glad you can be here.
18:19: Goemon: - Scary. Was hoping it would be Fukuhara.
18:19: westbaystars: - Sugiuchi's first pitch to Imaoka is swung on and missed.
18:19: Peter: - thanks
18:19: westbaystars: - And Game 6 is now underway.
18:20: allen: - I think Irabu should fare better tonight than he did in his first outing
18:20: westbaystars: - I was expecting it to be Saitoh. Guess Oh is saving him for Game 7.
18:20: dazza: - allen how did a japanese baseball fan end up in California?
18:20: westbaystars: - Imaoka has now taken 3 straight balls, and lifts the next pitch up the first base side.
18:21: Goemon: - Lets hope
18:21: westbaystars: - Muranaka trotts in, is under it, and there's one out, Muranaka catching the ball on the line.
18:21: allen: - I love the game and I try to follow as much as I can.
18:23: westbaystars: - Akahoshi grounds a 2-2 pitch to Torigoe at short. He isn't fast enough, and becomes out number two.
18:23: westbaystars: - Kanemoto, the front-runner for MVP, steps up.
18:24: westbaystars: - All four of Kanemoto's hits this series have been home runs.
18:24: allen: - Westbaystars - Is there anyway I can convince you to do a game of the week like this next season?
18:24: westbaystars: - That's an idea.
18:25: westbaystars: - Kanemoto lifts the ball behind second base, and is out number three.
18:25: westbaystars: - At the end of half an inning, Hanshin is scoreless.
18:25: westbaystars: - ---
18:25: westbaystars: - Bottom of First - HT 0 - 0 FDH
18:25: westbaystars: - ---
18:26: westbaystars: - I don't think that I can promise a game every week, but I think it is reasonable for more than just the All Stars and NS
18:26: allen: - Now do the Hawks tailor their game to the dome much like the Twins do in the states?
18:27: westbaystars: - I think they do.
18:27: westbaystars: - When Chunichi moved from Nagoya Kyujyo, they changed staff to fit Nagoya Dome more.
18:28: westbaystars: - Muramatsu grounds out to Imaoka at second, one quick out.
18:28: westbaystars: - As mentioned before, Irabu is the starting pitcher for Hanshin.
18:28: westbaystars: - Nice bunt by Kawasaki!
18:28: westbaystars: - He lays the safety bunt down right in front of the plate.
18:29: westbaystars: - By the time Irabu grabs it, he doesn't even bother throwing to first.
18:29: westbaystars: - Kawasaki was fast out of the left handed batter's box.
18:29: westbaystars: - Iguchi is swinging first pitch, and fouls the ball off.
18:29: Goemon: - Is he the guy who got a concussion last game??
18:29: Goemon: - Kawasaki??
18:30: westbaystars: - Iguchi lifts the next pitch deep to right.
18:30: westbaystars: - Haitta! Home run!
18:30: westbaystars: - Iguchi puts Daiei on the board first with a two-run home run.
18:32: westbaystars: - I missed the game, so I looked it up in yesterday's Nikkan Sports.
18:32: allen: - Oh no. I don't think their going to be patient with Irabu. He's gotta be on a short leash
18:32: westbaystars: - Yes. Kawasaki was the one taken out by Hanshin's Shuta.
18:33: westbaystars: - Matsunaka draws a walk on seven pitches. That just about doubles Irabu's pitch count so far this game.
18:33: westbaystars: - The first three batters were swinging early.
18:33: Goemon: - Why Irabu??
18:34: westbaystars: - Johjima lifts Irabu's second offering to shallow left field. Fujimoto goes back to make the catch.
18:34: westbaystars: - Two outs. (Slow) runner on first.
18:35: westbaystars: - Valdez steps up to the plate.
18:35: westbaystars: - Irabu is next in Hoshino-kantoku's rotation.
18:36: westbaystars: - Valdez is keeping alive, foulding off a close 2-2 offering.
18:37: westbaystars: - And is called out strike three on a fork that grazes the outside corner.
18:37: westbaystars: - The side is retired, but not before Daiei scores two on Igawa's 2-run home run.
18:37: westbaystars: - ---
18:38: westbaystars: - Top of Second: HT 0 - 2 FDH
18:38: westbaystars: - ---
18:39: allen: - Is their talk of going to interleague play in Japan. I would think it would be more interesting.
18:39: westbaystars: - Sugiuchi faces Hiyama to start the top of the second.
18:40: westbaystars: - Hiyama lifts the ball behind the second base bag, but Torigoe is there to take it in for the out.
18:40: westbaystars: - One quick out.
18:40: westbaystars: - There's always such talk from the Pacific League teams. But the Central teams won't give up their Giants' games.
18:40: westbaystars: - Arias comes up next.
18:41: westbaystars: - Arias swings through strike three with Johjima setup outside.
18:42: westbaystars: - But the ball was over the plate a lot more than Johjima was setup for.
18:42: westbaystars: - Nonetheless, that's two outs.
18:43: westbaystars: - Hamanaka follows by driving his first pitch to center, right at Muramatsu who comes in a few steps to get it.
18:43: westbaystars: - And the side is retired in order again.
18:43: westbaystars: - Sugiuchi is looking good.
18:43: westbaystars: - ---
18:43: westbaystars: - Bottom of Second: HT 0 - 2 FDH
18:44: westbaystars: - ---
18:44: allen: - Has there ever been a no-hitter in the Japan Series?
18:45: westbaystars: - I'm not sure. Don't have Nippon Series records handy. Sorry.
18:45: westbaystars: - I tend to be reactive to what's written.
18:45: westbaystars: - Irabu goes no strikes, three balls to Zuleta before throwing one down the middle (higher portion of the strike zone)
18:45: westbaystars: - for strike one.
18:46: westbaystars: - The next pitch is fouled off the right side into the stands, full count.
18:47: westbaystars: - Zuleta grounds the ball to third. Kataoka fields the ball behind the bag with his momentum carrying him ...
18:47: westbaystars: - ... behind the third base coaches' box.
18:47: westbaystars: - The throw to first is in time, as Zuleta doesn't appear to be that fast.
18:47: westbaystars: - One down.
18:48: westbaystars: - Shibahara follows by grounding Irabu's first pitch past a diving Imaoka at second. Base hit.
18:48: westbaystars: - Runner at first, one out.
18:48: westbaystars: - Torigoe comes up, showing bunt, takes strike one.
18:49: westbaystars: - Oh-kantoku came out of the dugout to get the attention of his third base coach.
18:49: westbaystars: - Game him some new signs, those were relayed to Torigoe.
18:49: westbaystars: - And Torigoe takes ball one without showing bunt.
18:50: westbaystars: - Torigoe grounds the next pitch up the middle.
18:50: westbaystars: - Fujimoto gets to the ball just behind the second base bag.
18:51: westbaystars: - Flips to Imaoka for one, the relay to first is *not* in time.
18:51: westbaystars: - Two out, runner exchanged at first.
18:51: westbaystars: - And Torigoe is off and running on the first pitch!
18:51: westbaystars: - Yano's throw to second is not in time (and high). Safe
18:52: westbaystars: - Daiei's top of the order, Muramatsu, is at the plate.
18:53: westbaystars: - Muramatsu, though, flys out to Arias in foul territory up the first base line.
18:54: westbaystars: - The side is retired.
18:54: westbaystars: - Daiei threatened, but failed to score.
18:54: westbaystars: - ---
18:54: westbaystars: - Top of Third: HT 0 - 2 FDH
18:54: westbaystars: - ---
18:55: allen: - Are the American Major Leaguers coming over to Japan this year?
18:56: westbaystars: - Kataoka grounds Sugiuchi's first pitch to him up the first base side.
18:56: westbaystars: - Sugiuchi fields the ball and tosses to Matsunaka for the first out.
18:56: westbaystars: - I don't think so. They come over every even year.
18:57: allen: - I would like to see the Japanese stars come over some time. I would go out and watch that.
18:57: westbaystars: - With a few exceptions (when they didn't come, not when they came on an odd year.)
18:58: westbaystars: - Yano rips Hanshin's first hit of the night up the middle.
18:58: westbaystars: - Hanshin has their first runner aboard with one out in the third.
18:59: allen: - Oh Man, I thought I was going to witness a no-hitter tonight.
18:59: dazza: - there goes the no hitter
18:59: westbaystars: - Fujimoto grounds the ball to the left side.
19:00: westbaystars: - The throw is wide of first, but Muranaka grabs the ball with his foot still on first.
19:00: westbaystars: - Yano advances to second on the play.
19:00: westbaystars: - I think it would be great for them to tour the U.S., too. The problem is sponsorship.
19:01: westbaystars: - Same problem we ran into with ESPN airing this Series.
19:01: westbaystars: - You can fill Tokyo Dome with the Nichi-Bei Series. But can you do the same in St. Louis?
19:02: westbaystars: - Imaoka grounds weakly to second, and is thrown out for out number three.
19:02: allen: - I was surprised that the local Japanese-language station here in LA didn't pick up this series.
19:02: westbaystars: - Hanshin got a man as far as second base. But still, no score.
19:02: westbaystars: - ---
19:02: westbaystars: - Bottom of Third: HT 0 - 2 FDH
19:02: westbaystars: - ---
19:02: dazza: - allen, I went to 2 of the japan series games and had much more fun than I ever did at a MLB game in the US
19:03: westbaystars: - Ii ne.
19:04: westbaystars: - Martin, thanks for coming. I've adopted your score along the inning line, as you can see.
19:04: westbaystars: - That was a great idea. Helps the score stand out.
19:04: allen: - Maybe not in St. Louis - but here in LA or Seattle where the Japanese fans are supportive you could get a full house
19:05: Martin: - Thank you
19:05: allen: - Dazza - If it's anything like the Angel crowds last season I believe you.
19:05: westbaystars: - Irabu hits Kawasaki's front foot to put the lead-off runner on.
19:06: Martin: - I am a little bit late today. Completely forgot that last night the winter time went in.
19:06: dazza: - the japanses fans have so much fun at games, the fans stand up and cheer non-stop throughout the entire game,
19:06: dazza: - they have a different cheer for every batter
19:06: dazza: - and they serve beer the entire game!
19:07: westbaystars: - And Kawasaki has a stolen base, way ahead of the throw, on Irabu's first pitch to Iguchi.
19:07: westbaystars: - Iguchi grounds a ball to the left side.
19:07: westbaystars: - Fujimoto tries to grab the grounder on one bound running in, but the ball gets by him!
19:07: allen: - Dazza - That sounds great. I hope to come out and experience it.
19:07: westbaystars: - Kawasaki, running on the hit, rounds thrid and scores!
19:08: westbaystars: - Satoh-pitching coach goes out to the mound, and Irabu is heading back to the dugout before Hoshino-kantoku comes out.
19:08: Goemon: - It seems to me like they have an easy time stealing of Irabu.
19:08: dazza: - you should I have been to numerous games in the US and none of them compare to a japanese game
19:09: dazza: - when I went to gam,es 1&2 it was my first experience of a japanese game and I loved it
19:10: westbaystars: - Wow! How do you get to watch the Nippon Series as your first Pro Yakyu experiences?
19:11: westbaystars: - Fukuhara comes in to pitch. Didn't someone want him to start?
19:11: dazza: - my best friend is jeff williams the pitcher for the tigers so I went and stayed with him and got to see games 1&2
19:11: Goemon: - Yes! A bit too late though....
19:11: westbaystars: - The first batter he faces is Matsunaka, who takes strike one.
19:11: dazza: - I wish I was there for games 4*5 when he pitched
19:12: allen: - If Fukuhara is pitching - Who is going to pitch tommorrow if they have to go to game 7
19:12: westbaystars: - And the next pitch, called a ball, although it looked like a strike to me (and Yano)
19:12: westbaystars: - Iguchi breaks for second.
19:12: Goemon: - I bet Moore will pitch tomorrow!!
19:13: westbaystars: - But he is thrown out as Yano puts the ball right on the money, right at Iguchi's sliding feet.
19:13: allen: - Dazza - Do you have tickets for game 7?
19:13: westbaystars: - Muramatsu then drives the next pitch to right and off the wall.
19:13: westbaystars: - He hobbles around first, but stays there. Ah, if only Iguchi were still on base.
19:14: westbaystars: - That puts a runner at first again, with one out.
19:14: dazza: - i am in australia right now, i had to leave after game 2 to come back to work
19:14: Martin: - I left my password for yahoo radio at work. Am trying to resubscribe again so I can listen to the game.
19:15: Martin: - Any help?
19:16: allen: - Dazza - Any pro baseball leagues in Australia to follow and if so when do they start?
19:17: dazza: - there isnt a league here anymore. I actually live in the US but am in australia for work for a few months
19:17: westbaystars: - Current situation: Daiei up 3-0, one out, runner on first, bottom of third.
19:17: dazza: - pro league that is, there are amateur leagues
19:17: westbaystars: - And Johjima walks on full count to put runners at first and second.
19:17: westbaystars: - Valdez coming to the plate.
19:18: allen: - Martin - Didn't realize the game was on the radio over the Internet. Is their an English version?
19:18: Martin: - No its completely in japanese
19:19: allen: - Even if there was an English version - this is a lot of fun.
19:19: westbaystars: - And Valdez strikes out swinging at a high pitch. Two outs.
19:20: Martin: - go to http://chat.yahoo.co.jp/ and click on 福岡ダイエーホークス but you need a password and I left mine at work
19:20: westbaystars: - Zuleta comes to the plate.
19:21: allen: - Dazza - Perhaps someday you can explain Australian Rules Football to me
19:21: MHtrStevie: - Greetings! What's the situation at this point? (And who's pitching?)
19:22: dazza: - i actually play it in a league in Arizona and California, where do you live in Cali?
19:22: westbaystars: - Daiei up 3-0, bottom of the 3rd.
19:22: westbaystars: - 2-2 count to Zuleta with runners at first and second, two out.
19:23: dazza: - allen - www.calfooty.com
19:23: westbaystars: - And he grounds a high bounder back to Fukuhara on the mound (replacing Irabu earlier this inning).
19:23: dazza: - www.usfooty.com
19:23: dazza: - www.azafl.com
19:23: westbaystars: - The ball comes down, Fukuhara throws to first, and the side is retired.
19:23: dazza: - Wow Irabu didnt last long
19:23: allen: - Dazza - Cool. I live in Orange County near Disneyland
19:23: westbaystars: - But not before Daiei scored another run.
19:23: westbaystars: - ---
19:23: westbaystars: - Top of Fourth
19:24: westbaystars: - HT 0 - 3 FDH
19:24: westbaystars: - ---
19:24: dazza: - the Orange County Bombers won the california league this year (and beat my team) you should watch them play
19:25: dazza: - www.ocbombers.com
19:25: westbaystars: - Daiei had their running game going against Irabu. After Fukuhara came in, Yano was finally able to throw a stealing ...
19:25: westbaystars: - ... Hawk out.
19:25: allen: - Dazza - when does the season start and where do they play?
19:25: MHtrStevie: - Thanks again for doing this, west... these chats have been most excellent!
19:25: westbaystars: - Sugiura gets Akahashi to ground out to short one one pitch.
19:26: westbaystars: - He's been having an easy time with Tigers, who have been swinging early in the count.
19:26: westbaystars: - Kanemoto lines out to Torigoe, playing close to the second base bag.]
19:26: westbaystars: - Two pitches, two outs.
19:27: allen: - Westbaystars- Do you have a pitch count on Sugiura - It seems like he could go all the way if he keeps this up.
19:27: westbaystars: - Hiyama lifts the ball deep to right.
19:27: westbaystars: - Haitta. Home run into Daiei's oen-dan in right.
19:28: westbaystars: - This is Hanshin's first home run of the Series that wasn't hit by Kanemoto.
19:28: westbaystars: - No pitch count, yet. I'll relay it when they show it.
19:28: MHtrStevie: - Who did the scoring for Hawks so far?
19:28: westbaystars: - Hanshin is on the board, getting their first run off of Sugiuchi in 11+ innings.
19:29: allen: - Are there a lot of homeruns in this dome?
19:29: westbaystars: - Iguchi hit a two run home run in the first.
19:29: westbaystars: - Arias grounds out to second to retire the side.
19:30: westbaystars: - But not before Hiyama hits a solo home run to put Hanshin on the board.
19:30: westbaystars: - ---
19:30: westbaystars: - Bottom of Fourth: HT 1 - 3 FDH
19:30: westbaystars: - ---
19:30: dazza: - verys short outfields as well
19:31: Goemon1: - Good job Hiyama.!!!! ( Got disconnected there for a while)
19:31: MHtrStevie: - Who scored for Hawks in the third?
19:31: westbaystars: - The other run was driven in last innning when Kawasaki was hit by a pitch, he stole second, and Iguchi drove him in.
19:32: MHtrStevie: - Wow... so Iguchi has all Hawks RBI at this point...
19:32: westbaystars: - Shibahara flies out to left for out number one.
19:33: westbaystars: - Now that you mention it, yes.
19:33: westbaystars: - Fukuhara throws three straight balls to Torigoe before throwing one down the middle, taken for strike one.
19:33: westbaystars: - The next pitch is also watched, full count.
19:35: westbaystars: - A few foul balls rack up Fukuhara's pitch count.
19:35: westbaystars: - And he takes ball four.
19:35: westbaystars: - One out, runner on first.
19:36: westbaystars: - That's 31 pitches for Fukuhara, who came in in the middle of last inning.
19:36: westbaystars: - I don't think Sugiuchi has too many more than that through four innings.
19:37: Martin: - I'm having problems with my pc. Wil be back later.
19:38: westbaystars: - With Torigoe running, Muramatsu flung his bat out there, foulding the pitch off, and letting the bat go up the first ...
19:38: westbaystars: - ... base side.
19:38: westbaystars: - See you then.
19:39: dazza: - westbaystars and gang, I have to leave now as I have to meet some people but I appreciate all the effort
19:39: dazza: - I will check back when I come home to see the score
19:40: westbaystars: - Have a good time.
19:40: westbaystars: - Muramatsu lines the ball into right-center (uchu-kan).
19:40: allen: - Dazza - take it easy - perhaps we'll see you in OC at an Austrailan rules game
19:41: westbaystars: - Akahoshi, on a dead run from center to right, reaches out and gets the ball.
19:41: westbaystars: - He turns, fires to first, and Torigoe is doubled up, well around second base.
19:41: westbaystars: - The side is retired.
19:41: Goemon1: - Nice
19:42: westbaystars: - ---
19:42: allen: - Wow that sounded like a great play!
19:42: westbaystars: - Top of Fifth: HT 1 - 3 FDH
19:42: westbaystars: - ---
19:42: westbaystars: - It was. With pretty much anyone else in center, that would have been through and one bounced to the wall.
19:43: MHtrStevie: - west, would you mind if I use info from you to give some live game updates on my radio show this morning?
19:43: westbaystars: - Hamanaka flies out to Matsunaka next to the right field screen in foul territory.
19:43: westbaystars: - Again on the first pitch. One out.
19:43: MHtrStevie: - I'm doing a J-Pop radio show on my local college station... =)
19:44: westbaystars: - Feel free for anything I write. You should probably ask anyone else before quoting them.
19:44: westbaystars: - And my name is Michael Westbay. Not just West.
19:45: MHtrStevie: - Oh, no quotes... =) Just general game info... who scored when, and such...
19:45: niibu_yaa: - sweet The Hawks are up.
19:45: westbaystars: - Kataoka has lines out to third on Sugiuchi's third pitch to him.
19:45: MHtrStevie: - Sorry, just using "west" for short typing...
19:45: westbaystars: - I can't think of any objections to that. Feel free.
19:46: westbaystars: - Yano beats out a high bounder to third. That's his second hit of the game.
19:47: westbaystars: - Ah. I tend to type out everything. But then, I'm not a chat/IMer for the most part.
19:47: allen: - MHtrStevie - What college are you at and is your show available over the internet?
19:47: MHtrStevie: - Thanks... I do appreciate it.
19:48: MHtrStevie: - allen: Skidmore in upstate NY, and yes, it's available thru ShoutCast... do you know that service?
19:48: westbaystars: - But Fujimoto grounds to second, and Hanshin hits the breaks.
19:48: MHtrStevie: - Can't vouch for the quality of signal, though... =)
19:49: westbaystars: - A friend who I converted from M$ to FreeBSD loves ShoutCast. Says that it's better quality than MS Media Player's ...
19:49: westbaystars: - ... radio stations.
19:49: westbaystars: - That's what he likes best about FreeBSD so far (other than the lack of worm attacks).
19:49: westbaystars: - ---
19:49: allen: - MHtrStevie - I'm not sure if I have listened over ShoutCast - What time does your show go on?
19:50: MHtrStevie: - I'll be on in about 15 minutes, and will be on for the next 3 hours...
19:50: westbaystars: - Bottom of Fifth: HT 1 - 3 FDH
19:50: westbaystars: - ---
19:50: MHtrStevie: - I think ShoutCast works through WinAmp, if I remember correctly...
19:50: westbaystars: - Ah, live updates on the radio in the U.S. This is nice.
19:50: MHtrStevie: - www.shoutcast.com, and do a search for "WSPN"...
19:51: niibu_yaa: -
19:51: allen: - MHtrStevie - Is your show in English or Japanese?
19:51: a's fan: - what channel is the game being broadcast on? I'm not getting it where I am
19:51: westbaystars: - Fukuhara strikes out Kawasaki swinging for the first out.
19:51: MHtrStevie: - I have to do a lengthy series summary at the top of the show first... =)
19:52: MHtrStevie: - English... I only know what little Japanese I've picked up watching and listening...
19:52: niibu_yaa: - Guess Kawasaki's leg injury(?) of last game wasn't fatal.
19:53: westbaystars: - No. He's been the leading catalyst this game.
19:53: westbaystars: - Iguchi lines a base hit to right.
19:53: niibu_yaa: - http://chat.yahoo.co.jp
19:53: a's fan: - what's the score? i just got on here?
19:53: Goemon1: - Moodashoo??
19:53: westbaystars: - HT 1 - 3 FDH
19:53: a's fan: - thanks, go Tigers
19:53: westbaystars: - Iguchi's 2-run homer in the first, Iguchi's RBI single in the fourth.
19:54: westbaystars: - Hanshin scored on Hiyama's solo home run in the fourth.
19:54: westbaystars: - Correction: Iguchi's RBI hit was in the third.
19:56: westbaystars: - Matsunaka makes Fukuhara work, fouling off anything close with a 2 strike, 1 ball count.
19:56: niibu_yaa: - Great. Perfect Game for Iguchi to come around, current situation aside.
19:56: westbaystars: - And he grounds into an inning ending double play to Fujimoto at short, right on the second base bag.
19:57: westbaystars: - ---
19:57: westbaystars: - Top of Sixth: HT 1 - 3 FDH
19:57: westbaystars: - ---
19:59: niibu_yaa: - sounds like cm's haven't changed much since I left.
19:59: westbaystars: - Yes, that was Iguchi's third hit of the game.
20:00: westbaystars: - Hanshin starts off the sixth at the top of their order in Imaoka.
20:01: westbaystars: - And he lines the ball hard to the left side.
20:01: westbaystars: - But Torigoe stabs the ball out of the air.
20:01: westbaystars: - One out.
20:02: westbaystars: - As for commercials, I've got to say that TV Asahi has been good at getting back to the game before the first pitch.
20:02: westbaystars: - Giri-giri sometimes, but still before the first pitch.
20:03: niibu_yaa: - That's good....seems like they've done a better job than BS! did.
20:03: westbaystars: - Akahoshi at the plate. Daiei has been very good at keeping him off the bases here at Fukuoka Dome so far this Series.
20:03: allen: - What? They don't wait to come out of commercial break before restarting the game?
20:04: westbaystars: - No. TV doesn't control the game here. The game is just a filler for commercials.
20:04: westbaystars: - And Akahoshi swings late at a pitch down the middle.
20:04: westbaystars: - Sanshin!
20:04: westbaystars: - Two out.
20:04: niibu_yaa: -
20:05: westbaystars: - 65 pitches, 3 hits, 1 HR so far for Sugiuchi.
20:05: allen: - Michael - When was the last time the Hawks won the series?
20:05: westbaystars: - Looks like I'm wrong about all of Kanemoto's hits being home runs. They just said that he's got 5 hits for the ...
20:05: niibu_yaa: - Not bad not bad....Sugiuchi is playing a little better than average actually.
20:06: westbaystars: - ... Series so far.
20:06: westbaystars: - 2000, I think.
20:06: westbaystars: - Again, I don't have that data handy. And I don't trust my own memory that much.
20:07: westbaystars: - I can look it up next commercial.
20:07: allen: - That's ok - I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.
20:07: niibu_yaa: -
20:07: westbaystars: - Kanemoto goes out swinging at a high-outside fastball.
20:08: westbaystars: - The side is retired in order - again.
20:08: westbaystars: - ---
20:08: westbaystars: - Bottom of Sixth: HT 1 - 3 FDH
20:08: westbaystars: - ---
20:08: westbaystars: - No, the Giants won in 2000.
20:09: niibu_yaa: - So Jyojima, Valdez, and Zuleta coming up?
20:10: allen: - Thanks Michael
20:10: westbaystars: - In 1999 Daiei defeated Chunichi (and Hoshino-kantoku) 4 games to 1.
20:10: westbaystars: - Source: 2003 Baseball Record Book
20:11: westbaystars: - Johjima leads off the Daiei half of the sixth.
20:11: allen: - Thanks Michael
20:11: westbaystars: - The heart of the order, as Niibu_yaa-san points out.
20:11: westbaystars: - Johjims grounds the ball to Kataoka at third, and is thrown out. One down.
20:12: allen: - Niibu_yaa-san - Are you keeping a score book?
20:14: niibu_yaa: - no....I'm watching the order on Yahoo BBhttp://live.sports.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/jps/scores/20031026/live/nr/liv37380.htm
20:14: westbaystars: - After two balls, Valdez fouls off two and swings and misses for strike three.
20:14: westbaystars: - Two outs.
20:15: niibu_yaa: - SO hanshin last won in 1985? With Randy Bass?
20:15: westbaystars: - Hanshin fans have their balloons cocked and ready.
20:15: westbaystars: - but Zuleta holds them up with a base hit up the middle.
20:16: allen: - Thanks Niibu_yaa-san
20:16: westbaystars: - Yep. That's the last time Hanshin finished first in the Central League. And they defeated Seibu 4 games to 2.
20:17: niibu_yaa: - and for those keeping track of "Curses
20:17: niibu_yaa: - thus starts the KFC Curse.
20:18: westbaystars: - Shibahara lines the ball deep to left.
20:18: westbaystars: - Going, going,
20:18: westbaystars: - Off the wall.
20:18: niibu_yaa: - =)
20:18: allen: - The KFC Curse?
20:18: westbaystars: - Zuleta, with two outs, is running, rounding third, and scores
20:18: niibu_yaa: - good job by zurechan!!!
20:19: westbaystars: - Daiei increases their lead back up to three, 4-1.
20:19: westbaystars: - Shibahara has a stand-up double.
20:19: westbaystars: - But Torigoe lifts his first pitch foul and behind the first base bag.
20:20: westbaystars: - Arias takes the ball in, and the side is retired.
20:20: niibu_yaa: - Yeah. Happy Hanshin Fans through a "Colonel Sanders" store mascot into the river.
20:20: westbaystars: - But not before Daiei has a two-out rally.
20:20: westbaystars: - ---
20:20: westbaystars: - Top of Seventh: HT 1 - 4 FDH
20:20: westbaystars: - ---
20:20: niibu_yaa: - Gotta love those two out rally's!!!!
20:22: westbaystars: - Hiyama takes a first strike to start the inning this time.
20:22: westbaystars: - Trying to reduce those two-pitch, two out cases?
20:22: allen: - Couldn't they just take a new Colonel Sanders back to the store they took it from and remove the curse?
20:22: niibu_yaa: - Probably if I was Hoshino I'd have made mention of it.
20:23: niibu_yaa: - Nope...... the river is swift murky and somewhat polluted...and they never found it.
20:23: westbaystars: - After another strike, Hiyama reaches out and punches the ball the other way to left.
20:23: westbaystars: - He went with the ball very well.
20:23: westbaystars: - And has a base hit.
20:24: westbaystars: - Arias comes up.
20:24: westbaystars: - And is quickly in the hole, two strikes, no balls.
20:26: westbaystars: - There's a sign in front of the KFC with a photo of the Colonel that reads, "when Hanshin becomes Nippon Ichi, ...
20:26: westbaystars: - ... the Colonel will return."
20:26: allen: - Did they show the American World Series in Japan earlier?
20:26: westbaystars: - Arias pops out to short. One out, runner at first.
20:26: westbaystars: - Probably, but I was out. Haven't been following it.
20:26: niibu_yaa: - Sugoi.....
20:27: westbaystars: - Hamanaka grounds to the left side.
20:27: westbaystars: - Kawasaki grabs the ball running toward second.
20:27: westbaystars: - Throws to second to just get Hiyama.
20:27: niibu_yaa: - Seems like we've heard Torigoe's name connected to a larger number of outs this series.
20:27: westbaystars: - The throw to first is *not* in time.
20:28: westbaystars: - Hanshin gets a quicker runner at first in exchange for their second out.
20:28: westbaystars: - I look up and who do I see. It's a Yagi looking at me.
20:29: westbaystars: - Yes, Yagi is up to bat, pinch hitting for Kataoka.
20:29: niibu_yaa: - hehe...why did I laugh at that.
20:29: westbaystars: - But he swings and misses, and becomes the third out of the inning.
20:29: westbaystars: - Hanshin's Lucky Seven wasn't so lucky.
20:30: westbaystars: - Unless you read a lot of children's books, you might not get that one.
20:30: westbaystars: - ---
20:30: westbaystars: - Bottom of Seventh: HT 1 - 4 FDH
20:30: westbaystars: - ---
20:30: niibu_yaa: - I saw Wada's Mommy on NHK WOrld this morning so is he still on for next game?
20:31: westbaystars: - Daiei fans let loose their jetto fusen - several 10-thousands of them.
20:31: allen: - Do they have a seventh inning stretch in Japan?
20:32: westbaystars: - Kind of, but not really.
20:32: westbaystars: - It's different.
20:32: westbaystars: - Muramatsu lines out directly at Hiyama in right. One out.
20:33: allen: - I would imagine God Bless America is out for the stretch
20:33: westbaystars: - The first pitch to Kawasaki is off of Fukuhara's hip!
20:33: westbaystars: - Maybe his right thigh.
20:33: westbaystars: - The third baseman (not sure who it is now) throws to first.
20:33: westbaystars: - But not in time to get the head sliding Kawasaki.
20:34: Goemon1: - Okihara??
20:34: westbaystars: - Fukuhara throws a few pitches to show that he's OK.
20:34: niibu_yaa: - Okihara is at third I believe.
20:34: westbaystars: - Yes, it is Okihara. The announcers just pointed that out.
20:35: westbaystars: - Iguchi, who's brought Kawasaki around twice this evening, steps up.
20:35: niibu_yaa: - Yeah Okihara...not Sekuhara.
20:35: westbaystars: -
20:35: Goemon1: - ha ha
20:36: westbaystars: - With Kawasaki running, Iguchi swings late at a strike down the middle.
20:36: westbaystars: - And Yano doesn't bother throwing to second. Stolen base.
20:36: westbaystars: - That was strange. Was it supposed to be a hit and run (hit end run)?
20:36: westbaystars: - The next pitch is grounded to second.
20:37: westbaystars: - Iguchi is out, Kawasaki moves to third.
20:37: westbaystars: - Hoshino-kantoku comes out, and Fukuhara is done.
20:39: westbaystars: - Yoshino comes in to throw for Hanshin.
20:40: westbaystars: - The first batter he'll face is #4 batting Matsunaka.
20:40: westbaystars: - And Yoshino's first offering is taken inside and low, ball one.
20:41: allen: - Is it my imagination or is their a quick warm-up period for the relievers?
20:42: westbaystars: - Nine pitches, I believe.
20:42: westbaystars: - Yoshino comes back and strikes out Matsunaka to end the threat.
20:43: westbaystars: - ---
20:43: westbaystars: - Top of Eighth: HT 1 - 4 FDH
20:43: westbaystars: - ---
20:43: allen: - It seemed like it took two minutes for Yoshino to come out of the dugout, get warmed up and throw the first pitch.
20:44: allen: - How has Yoshino done in the series so far?
20:45: Goemon1: - European baseball rules says 8 warm up pitches. ( But that is europe).
20:45: westbaystars: - Please, don't go by the time it takes for me to type what's going on.
20:46: westbaystars: - I had to wait until they returned from commercial to see who it was. He had already finished his warm up pitches then.
20:46: westbaystars: - Okamoto comes on to pitch for Daiei.
20:46: westbaystars: - Sugiuchi threw seven great innings.
20:47: westbaystars: - The first batter he faces is Yano.
20:47: niibu_yaa: - Alright!!!! Okamoto!!!!
20:48: allen: - Michael - OK - Thanks.
20:48: westbaystars: - No problem.
20:49: allen: - Is Okamoto their closer?
20:49: niibu_yaa: - he has been in this series.
20:49: westbaystars: - Yano grounds a weak one bounder back to Okamoto, who throws to first. One out.
20:49: westbaystars: - But he's also been throwing two innings at a time.
20:50: westbaystars: - Fujimoto steps up to the plate.
20:50: niibu_yaa: - True Westbay..... I guess set-up man is a better way to say it.
20:50: allen: - How is he usually used in the regular season?
20:51: westbaystars: - Fujimoto lifts the ball high to Valdez in left.
20:51: niibu_yaa: - Valdez alright
20:51: westbaystars: - Valdez waits patiently, and makes the catch. Two down.
20:52: allen: - What is the roof at Fukuoka Dome like. Is it like the Metrodome where every high fly is an adventure?
20:52: niibu_yaa: - Okamoto did reliefe work I believe. Had 4 saves.http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/pl/teams/12/stats/45-p.html
20:52: westbaystars: - Saves were pretty evenly distributed between Shinohara and Skrmetta.
20:52: westbaystars: - http://www.japanesebaseball.com/teams/stats.jsp?TeamID=FDH
20:53: MHtrStevie2: - Sorry, but did anyone try the WSPN net broadcast? Just curious, because I think I messed something up...
20:53: westbaystars: - Imaoka watches a 2-2 strike three go by down the middle. He turns and heads back to the dugout.
20:54: westbaystars: - The side is retired.
20:54: allen: - Thanks Michael and niibu_yaa for the background
20:54: westbaystars: - In order yet again.
20:54: westbaystars: - ---
20:54: westbaystars: - Botto of Eighth: HT 1 - 4 FDH
20:54: westbaystars: - ---
20:54: westbaystars: - Ishige takes the mound for Hanshin.
20:54: niibu_yaa: - that's the way Okamoto has been doing them the first set around.
20:55: westbaystars: - Sorry, couldn't listen to it. Have too many other things going on right now.
20:56: niibu_yaa: - Ishige http://japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=192&Year=2003&Part=1
20:56: westbaystars: - Ishige faces Johjima to start off the Hawk half of the height.
20:56: westbaystars: - height ---> eighth.
20:56: westbaystars: - And throws a ball for his first pitch of the game.
20:57: westbaystars: - Johjima lifts Ishige's next offering to shallow left.
20:57: westbaystars: - Fujimoto goes out, and backpeddling, makes the catch.
20:57: westbaystars: - One out.
20:57: westbaystars: - Valdez steps in.
20:58: westbaystars: - He lifts this one deep.
20:58: westbaystars: - No doubt about it.
20:59: westbaystars: - If it's fair, it's gone.
20:59: westbaystars: - And it lands deep in the Daiei oen-dan!
20:59: westbaystars: - Home run.
20:59: westbaystars: - That puts Daiei up 5-1.
20:59: westbaystars: - It's going to be hard for Hanshin to come back from this.
20:59: niibu_yaa: - Insurance!!!!!
20:59: allen: - Ok, Michael whats an oen-dan?
21:00: westbaystars: - The cheering section.
21:00: MHtrStevie2: - I understand, Michael... I was asking allen, or anyone else...
21:00: westbaystars: - Google for: "site:www.japanesebaseball.com oen.dan"
21:01: MHtrStevie2: - But I have a bad feeling I disconnected the broadcast computer getting this computer up to receive the chatroom...
21:01: basebill: - when was the last time the home team won each game in the Japan Series?
21:01: westbaystars: - And Zuleta draws a walk on five pitches. This is a bad sign for Ishige who has fits of control problems.
21:01: allen: - MHtrStevie2 - I have not had a chance. I will try after the game. How's the show going?
21:02: niibu_yaa: - hehe....Well MHtrStevie...I did a 5 hour show when I was in college and realized after I was finished I forgot to start.
21:02: niibu_yaa: - the transmitter.
21:02: westbaystars: - Whoo. That's a good one, Basebill.
21:03: westbaystars: - Looking at by Nippon Series page, now bookmarked, I see that it doesn't break it down by home and away.
21:03: westbaystars: - Sorry.
21:03: niibu_yaa: - 2003 basebill
21:03: MHtrStevie2: - niibu: Ouch... that can't have been good...
21:04: niibu_yaa: - well it was over Holiday so it wasn' t to bad.
21:04: basebill: - ha, ha niibu-yaa-san
21:04: westbaystars: - Shibahara lifts a high fly to first in fair territory. Two down, runner at first
21:04: MHtrStevie2: - I know the station's going out locally... but we have only one active net connection...
21:05: allen: - Am I the only one in this chatroom that doesn't have a radio show?
21:05: westbaystars: - Ohkoshi comes in to pitch run for Zuleta.
21:05: MHtrStevie2: - So I don't think our net transmitter is working at present... so I apologize to anyone if that's the case.
21:05: basebill: - no
21:05: westbaystars: - Probably did before Shibahara came up, but I just noticed it.
21:06: westbaystars: - Since he was running on the 1-1 pitch to Torigoe, that was fouled away.
21:06: niibu_yaa: - Hmm...sounds like Oh is sticking to his game plan....putting Ohkoshi in.
21:07: westbaystars: - Torigoe concludes the inning grounding up the middle.
21:07: westbaystars: - Fujimoto fields the ball and steps on second in the same motion.
21:07: westbaystars: - But Daiei adds an insurance run on Valdez' solo home run.
21:08: westbaystars: - Going to the final inning, Daiei leads 5-1.
21:08: westbaystars: - ---
21:08: westbaystars: - Top of Ninth: HT 1 - 5 FDH
21:08: westbaystars: - ---
21:08: niibu_yaa: - So you think OH sticks with Okamoto or saves him for game seven and goes with "Salary Man"?
21:09: allen: - As Charlie Steiner in the states would say "its the last chance saloon" for Hanshin
21:10: westbaystars: - Meanwhile, at Koshien, several thousand fans have filled the infield stands and are cheering for their Tigers on the ...
21:10: westbaystars: - ... big screen.
21:10: westbaystars: - Okamoto is still in there.
21:11: westbaystars: - And gets two straight strikes on Akahoshi.
21:11: basebill: - who are the probables to start tomorrows game?
21:11: westbaystars: - Before thowing way outside for ball one.
21:11: niibu_yaa: - I heard Wada for Daiei..not sure about the tigers.
21:12: Goemon1: - I would think Trey Moore
21:12: westbaystars: - But Akahoshi drives the ball up the middle. Lead off base hit!
21:12: westbaystars: - And before the ball comes back to the infield, Akahoshi is standing on second.
21:13: westbaystars: - This brings a pow-wow at the mound. But nothing more.
21:13: westbaystars: - Moore was Game 3's starter, and Hoshino is going straight through his rotation.
21:13: westbaystars: - Kanemoto comes to the plate.
21:13: westbaystars: - So Moore would be a safe bet.
21:14: westbaystars: - But Hoshino-kantoku does like to fool the opposition at times.
21:14: basebill: - arigato
21:14: niibu_yaa: - how about Wada?
21:14: westbaystars: - Kanemoto is having troubles with the calls, as he gets a curve on the inside called strike one (1-1) and
21:15: westbaystars: - another called strike two on the outside part of the plate.
21:15: westbaystars: - The next pitch is high, but swung on hard and missed. Sanshin.
21:16: westbaystars: - I would hope that Saitoh would get another start, but am not sure.
21:16: westbaystars: - Hiyama comes up to the plate.
21:16: niibu_yaa: - Yeah I'm not opposed to seeing Saitoh again.
21:16: seven up: - daiei will go with left handers
21:16: westbaystars: - Hiyama hit a home run in the fourth inning for the only Hanshin run.
21:17: westbaystars: - And he gives this one a ride to center.
21:17: westbaystars: - Muramatsu catches the ball on the run to the fense for the out.
21:17: westbaystars: - Akahoshi touches out and goes to third.
21:18: westbaystars: - Then, Murmatsu slowly turns around and eventually throws the ball in, while Akahoshi thinks about going home.
21:18: westbaystars: - But he holds at third.
21:18: seven up: - tags up
21:18: westbaystars: - The next pitch (to Arias) is lifted to shallow left.
21:18: westbaystars: - Torigoe goes back.
21:18: westbaystars: - And the game is over.
21:18: westbaystars: - The Series is now tied 6-6.
21:18: westbaystars: - Sorry, 3-3.
21:19: seven up: - seven up it is
21:19: niibu_yaa: -
21:19: westbaystars: - We'll be back here again tomorrow evening for the final.
21:19: westbaystars: - Those of you who were rooting for seven games, now is the time to go one way or the other.
21:19: westbaystars: - ---
21:19: westbaystars: - Game final
21:19: seven up: - ask me in the ninth
21:20: basebill: - good the team I was rooting for has won....7
21:20: westbaystars: - Hanshin Tigers 1 - 5 Fukuoka Daiei Hawks
21:20: westbaystars: - ---
21:20: seven up: - otsukaresama deshita
21:20: basebill: - Go Tigers
21:20: niibu_yaa: - Oh Kantou!!
21:20: Peter: - thank you
21:20: allen: - Michael, thanks for your words-eye view and your insights on Japanese Baseball - I had a great time
21:20: seven up: - that was for mw
21:21: Peter: - go DAIEI!!!!!!!!!!!
21:21: niibu_yaa: - yeah micheal I can see how you can't keep up with him when he is speaking.
21:21: westbaystars: - My pleasure.
21:21: basebill: - as always, Westbay-san,thank you very much
21:22: MHtrStevie2: - Yes, thanks Michael! I had fun bringing this game to my listeners live!
21:22: westbaystars: - I'd like to hear any feedback on that. Any interest at your university?
21:23: MHtrStevie2: - Well, I didn't get any calls, but I usually don't anyway... =)
21:24: seven up: - does anyone think that igawa will start tomorrow???
21:24: niibu_yaa: - Sugiuchi?
21:24: MHtrStevie2: - 6 AM isn't the big time for college students sleeping off Sat. night... =)
21:24: westbaystars: - We have two Heros for the Hero Interview this evening. Starter Sugiuchi and RBI driver Iguchi.
21:24: niibu_yaa: - thanks I thought that is what they said.
21:25: westbaystars: - Understood.
21:25: niibu_yaa: - Hard to hear sometimes with breaks in the Live Sound.
21:25: seven up: - mw.. do you think iguchi goes tomorrow... i think he might
21:26: seven up: - igawa
21:26: MHtrStevie2: - But I've definitely been entranced by the series...
21:26: westbaystars: - My first night here I only had one viewer.
21:26: MHtrStevie2: - So I figure next season I'll try to follow the full season on the show and see the response...
21:26: seven up: - you need better advertising
21:26: niibu_yaa: - hehe..yeah I was there that night.
21:26: westbaystars: - I really don't know who will pitch tomorrow. I think that Wada was scheduled the last time the rotation was listed ...
21:27: MHtrStevie2: - I have to get some fight songs between now and then to play... =)
21:27: westbaystars: - ... in Nikkan. But haven't seen any since.
21:27: seven up: - wada for daiei... leftys are wining
21:27: seven up: - igawa might go for hanshin
21:28: niibu_yaa: - Yeah that is what his mom said on NHK world. hehe
21:29: westbaystars: - Ah. I'd rather have 10 people who care than 1,000 hits a day.
21:29: westbaystars: - That's the difference between a hobby site like this and corporate site.
21:29: niibu_yaa: - ALright thanks Mr. Westbay. It was nice to be able to read the
21:30: seven up: - you know mw... this will be really big in japan... a monday night game...all will be watching
21:30: niibu_yaa: - play by play and catch up on what I missed. I was able to hear the first inning on the plane. But
21:30: niibu_yaa: - missed the rest on my drive from the airport.
21:30: seven up: - 1000 hits is better..for you will then get a 100 who care
21:31: Martin: - Wow, Hawks win. Its gonna be 7 games.
21:32: westbaystars: - Yep. Welcome back.
21:32: Martin: - My pc at home is much too slow. Tomorrow will be better at work, haha
21:33: westbaystars: - And just in time for me to shut down the chat.
21:33: westbaystars: - Need to post this so that all can read the whole game.
21:33: seven up: - mw... thanks for this... i like it
21:33: Martin: - Irabu didn't do that good today? 2 0/3 inn.
21:34: basebill: - good
21:34: seven up: - i am going to go now.. but if you need more server power you need to let meknow before december
21:34: Martin: - See you tomorrow
21:34: westbaystars: - Tomorrow all.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.