Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japan Series Schedule

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Japan Series Schedule
Now that the two teams have been decided, the Japan Series schedule with (Japanese) broadcast information has been released.
    October  Visitor - Home    Time  Stadium      TV
    -------- ------- ------- ----- ------------ -----------------
    18 (Sat) Hanshin - Daiei 18:15 Fukuoka Dome TBS, NHK BS1
    19 (Sun) Hanshin - Daiei 18:15 Fukuoka Dome NTV, NHK BS1
    21 (Tue) Daiei - Hanshin 18:15 Koshien TV Asahi
    22 (Wed) Daiei - Hanshin 18:15 Koshien TBS, NHK BS1
    23 (Thu) Daiei - Hanshin 18:15 Koshien NTV, NHK BS1
    25 (Sat) Hanshin - Daiei 18:15 Fukuoka Dome TV Asahi
    26 (Sun) Hanshin - Daiei 18:15 Fukuoka Dome TV Tokyo, NHK BS1
For those of you outside of Japan, I can't help you any more than the appeals I've made to ESPN. I've asked them twice to give our community an idea of whether or not they'll broadcast the games (even delayed), and still haven't heard any reply. Feel free to continue discussing this topic on their respective threads.

I'll look into setting up a live chat here for all but Wednesday's game, as I did last year. Only had two or three people "tune in" live then. Hope to see some of you there.
Comments
Re: Japan Series Schedule
[ Author: Guest: Danny | Posted: Oct 4, 2003 8:01 PM ]

Well, I start by saying congratulations to the Hawks, but this is not your year - Tigers in five. Simple as that. Tigers showed much more heart than the Hawks all season long!

Why did the Hawks get homefield advantage if the Tigers had a way better record?
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Oct 5, 2003 3:01 AM ]

I believe that home field advantage in the Japan Series alternates years. It's not based on record. Since there is no interleague play, that's fair as there is no real way to decide which league deserves it. Unlike in MLB, where the winning league in the All-Star Game was given home field advantage in the World Series, all because a guy from a last place team (Texas) got a game winning hit off of the ace reliever from a second place team (the Dodgers).
[ Author: Guest: Brad | Posted: Oct 5, 2003 2:01 PM ]

Why does it start so late? When is the regular season over?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 10, 2003 8:45 AM | YBS Fan ]

The reason for the late start is make-up games. As the number of domed stadiums have increased, make-up games have become a great deal fewer. However, Hiroshima and Yakult are lined up with make-up games all the way to the start of the Series.

Playing double-headers the next available date would be great, but it looks like one of those few issues where the owners and players both agree - that double-headers are not in their best interest.

Having four teams with covered stadiums in the Pacific League, this is one of the reasons why they think they can have a play-off next season that doesn't interfere with the Nippon Series schedule.
[ Author: Guest: NGV | Posted: Oct 12, 2003 11:58 AM ]

Hanshin will take it in six. They will win in Koshien, the same day the Cubs beat the Yankees to win the Series. That way, the craziest baseball fans in the world will all be celebrating on the same day, Tigers fans jumping into the Dotonbori and Cubbies fans drinking in Wrigleyville. It will go down as the best day in baseball history.
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Oct 8, 2003 2:16 PM | FSH Fan ]

I have to disagree with you. I think that the Hawks have the better team this year. But a friend of mine mentioned something I found interesting. He stated that he thought Hanshin winning would be better for the P.Y. Even though I would love to see Daiei win, Hanshin winning would ultimately be better for the future of the league.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 16, 2003 1:50 AM ]

I believe that the games on NHK BS-1 may be available in the U.S. to NHK subscribers. I hope somebody can confirm this for me. I'm in the U.S. to watch the World Series and I would like to watch the Japan Series on TV in the middle of the night as well.
[ Author: Guest: Steve | Posted: Oct 18, 2003 4:09 AM ]

I don't know if this helps anyone or not, but recently I inquired to TV Japan (which carries some satelite broadcast of NHK and other Japan programing) about possibly broadcasting the Japan Series. This is the reply I just now received:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Japan series baseball game.

TV JAPAN will be broadcasting the 5th game of the series. The date and time has not yet determined but we will post it on our website at www.tvjapan.net when it becomes available.

Thank you for your subscription

TV JAPAN Customer Service
1-877-885-2726
M-F 9am-5pm (EST)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.