Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tigers Tour: Game 6

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Tigers Tour: Game 6
The Tigers failed to take a sweep of the Dragons tonight at the Osaka Dome and end the series two games back.

Andy Sheets was ejected in the second inning after drilling his bat into the ground and flinging his helmet halfway to first base. He had just been called out on a check-swing strike three by the first-base umpire. Obviously, I wasn't standing on first base, but I was in the first row of the right field stands and had a pretty good angle on the play. I was pretty confident that he did not go around completely. Regardless, the umpire announced the ejection for "throwing his bat and helmet at me" and he was replaced in the lineup with Kataoka.

The Dragons held a 1-0 lead from Tyrone Woods homer until the 6th when Hamanaka knocked in Fujimoto. Then, in the 7th, an odd play when the Dragons' player Fujii was called out at the plate for interference for getting in the way of an attempted throw to second base as Inoue attempted to steal. The next batter, Tanishige, hit a two-run shot, giving the Dragons the three runs they would need to win.

The Tigers had scoring opportunities that looked great in both the 8th and 9th, but failed to convert either of them, except for one run in the 8th, but it was not enough. The Tigers lost 4-2.

The Tigers now head back to Koshien stadium to take on the Giants in a three-game series. The forecast for the first game is rain, so hopefully it will hold out long enough to have a game.
Comments
Andy and the F-Word
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 17, 2006 1:39 PM | HT Fan ]

Quite a show last evening with Andy-san spouting some true Bronx-ese ("What the f---?") before sending his bat and helmet on a small tour of the Osaka Dome, then taking an early shower. Saw some stories in the Japanese papers this morning but alas, need some kanji-renshu to get all the meanings. I guess I'm particularly interested if Andy-san had any history with that particular umpire who called his swing a strike - to my eyes, it was a check-swing, not a full go-round - and if the Japanese media had any comments on Sheets-san last night or today. Reminded me of a scene from "Mr. Baseball," honto-ne.
Re: Andy and the F-Word
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 17, 2006 6:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

Nikkan Sports reported that Sheets was ejected for "侮辱行為" (bujyoku koui - an insulting act). When asked after the game about throwing his bat and helmet, Sheets said that he was so angry that he didn't remember. But he was sure that he didn't throw his helmet at the umpire. It sounds like he did from the eye witness report above.

The second base umpire explained that Okada-kantoku, flying out of the Tigers' dugout, first objected to the call, stating that Sheets didn't swing. Okada-kantoku then claimed that throwing a helmet was something done often without being ejected. It was the opinion of the umpires, however, that the helmet was directed toward the first base umpire in an insulting act, and that was the reason for the ejection, not the mere unsportsman-like throwing of the helmet by itself.
[ Author: Vir4030 | Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:50 PM | HT Fan ]

I thought it was pretty clear that the helmet was thrown at the first base umpire.

Of course, I also thought it was pretty clear that he didn't swing.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:50 PM | HT Fan ]

Thanks for the info, Westbay-san. I assumed Andy-san was out of the game the moment he shouted "WTF!" - clearly visible on the TV screen and an oath that gets one ejected instantly in MLB - I assume the F word is one known by most Japanese, too.

Throwing bat and/or helmet usually gets you tossed too, and I surmised that Andy-san may have been adding insult to injury, figuring he was going to be ejected anyway so why not go for the trifecta?

Not sure about the direction of the bat he threw, but the helmet seemed directed at the ump, though not far enough to hit him - just to make a point.

The theatricality of it all was what made me wonder if Andy-san had some history with that ump, and decided to unload some pent-up emotions in a dramatic way to fire up his team-mates. Maybe he just had a rough day. It struck me somehow because my impression of Sheets-san has been that of a calm and composed character, and this seemed unusual for him.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 12:14 PM | FSH Fan ]

Just saw a little clip of the incident. I wouldn't call it a meltdown, but he did seem to have a little trouble calming himself down. At least he didn't head butt the umpire, though.
OT: Head Butts
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:54 PM | HT Fan ]

<getting off topic>
Speaking of recent famous sporting head-butts, Dave Barry's blog site links to a hilarious take on the whole Zidane head-butting incident.
</getting off topic>
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:10 PM ]

For those interested, you can see the incident (and all the other exciting NPB action!) at Youtube. User "terioh" has selflessly taken the time each day to upload the previous night's game recaps. This is explained clearly in the Media Guide section of this website.

Sheets-san's blowup made me say "WOW." Not quite as shocking as Zuleta's mound charge earlier this year but close.

P.S. It pains me to say this, but I don't think he went around.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 19, 2006 6:28 AM | HT Fan ]

My impression that Andy-san did NOT indeed go around with the bat is what I find disquieting. I wonder if there was any commentary in the Japanese press about the umpire's call and any possible darker motivations for his calling Sheets-san's swing "strike three."

Oh well, on with the season.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 19, 2006 10:26 AM | HAN Fan ]

This kind of misjudgment is common in Japanese baseball. It's all part of the low standard that passes for umpiring generally. The Daily Sports mentioned it, but no mention of any darker motivation if indeed this exists.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.