Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rookie Murata Hot

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rookie Murata Hot
I said before the season started that I'd like to see Yokohama's 1st round draft choice Shuichi Murata get a chance at second base, but veteran Taneda got the starting job. (And Taneda did a much better job at defense than I remember him doing last year.)

Nonetheless, Murata came in and hit a pinch hit home run in one of several losing causes last week. I commented to my wife that that home run will earn him a spot on the starting roster the next day. And sure enough, Yamashita-kantoku thought he deserved a start, too. And Murata answered with a homer the next day as well.

Going into tonight (April 11), Murata is batting .259 with 3 home runs and 4 RBIs. In his first two at bats this evening against Yakult (at Yokohama), he has two solo home runs (and was walked his third at bat). The 23 year old rookie's weak spot seems to be strike outs, as he's K'ed 12 times in his first 27 at bats. If he can get more wood on the ball as the season progresses, Murata's got a good shot at Rookie of the Year.

OK. Too early to say anything about RoY. And Murata is going to need something more than just a mountain of solo home runs. Still, I like the excitement of seeing a new player come up and make a big impact, and Murata is one I picked to do so before the season started. (My first pre-season rookie that looks like he'll pan out. I've made a lot of bad predictions before.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.