Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Arias the Giant!

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Arias the Giant!
George Arias has been signed by Yomiuri. The news and further details can be found on Gary Garland's sight Japan Baseball Daily.
Comments
Re: Arias the Giant!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 27, 2006 12:59 PM ]

Accelerating the Yomiuri collapse?

What is the level of the Mexican League anyways?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jun 27, 2006 4:30 PM | SFT Fan ]

- Accelerating the Yomiuri collapse?

Why it is intriguing, I share Garland-san's views, when Kobuko comes back, Arias won't be playing much, as it is almost a guarantee that Kobuko will get the nod over Arias.

Second, why Arias is batting .280 in Mexico. He's also struck out too much and had a low OBP as well when in Japan [Player Profile]. Also, look at some of the collective ERAs of the teams in the Mexican League due to high elevation?

Let's look at two examples of players out of the Mexican League:
Randall Simon last year went 10-47 (.213) with 0 HRs and 2 RBI and Mario Valdez from 2004, who also was having a successful year in Mexico, and finished batting .213 with 9 HRs and 29 RBI. The elevation difference has a slight effect, also the difference in difficulty between leagues. While the level of difficulty might be AAA league, the elevation difference is worth keeping in mind.

Third, Yomiuri is collapsing after starting out well, and instead of panicking, should just develop their minor league system and live with the losses instead of wasting money on Arias, who will be out of a job when Kokubo comes back, because Arias for sure will not play at first base with the MVP numbers Seung-Yeop Lee is putting up.

Plus, what can Arias give Yomiuri that Joe Dillon couldn't do? I mean, Dillon gave Yomiuri more work ethic than ever. Instead of giving a contract to Arias, they should stick with Dillon, who they never gave much of a chance to, if they wanted to go the gaijin route. They need to give an opportunity to give their players in ni-gun valuable experience, and just live with the results instead of wasting money on Arias.

In conclusion, the Yomiuri collapse is getting closer and closer everyday. It's a sad sight, and while some of my words might be harsh, the Yomiuri fanbase deserves better than some of the downright pathetic moves that Watanabe is trying to put on the field right now. The Yomiuri fanbase is being played for a group of fools.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 27, 2006 2:15 PM ]

Nice signing, but where will he play?
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Jun 28, 2006 12:27 AM ]

I think I saw a news article from Yahoo Japan that it's only a 30-day contract. So he'd be gone after that.
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Jun 28, 2006 10:21 PM ]

Nevermind, I misreaded it I suppose.

Sorry for the wrong information.
Giant Problems Beyond Arias
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 29, 2006 5:20 AM ]

Is it 8 staight losses?

I thought this want'to be [Watanabe] owner guy was like the overseas Steinbrenner: if this sort of stuff happens he just trades for someone to win the pennant. Can't he just pry some spray on talent from the Carp, Golden Eagles, etc. in exchange for prospect scrapings and trucks full of cash? If Yomiuri has all this income, Mexican Leaguers shouldn't even be in consideration.

I honestly don't think most of the foriegners that are avalible aren't really Japanese league quality and there is no way to tell which washups, failures, against-their-will-retired players, utilty men lusting for playing time, triple A dudes who like Yen in great numbers, etc. will actually contribute. Why not aim for some experienced Japanese slugger or pitcher who will help you win and which you can count on to perform?
Re: Giant Problems Beyond Arias
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 29, 2006 2:09 PM ]

Midseason trades don't happen much in Japan, especially the prospect for stud rental type deals. Probably has to do with stigma still attached to trades in Japan, and the NPB rules governing trades and free agency.
[ Author: Guest: Giant Giant | Posted: Jun 30, 2006 11:25 PM ]

Why not Arias? Experience at a small price, that's not a bad reason is it? For all of those "what if" people out there, what if he puts up those numbers like 2003; 38 HRs and 107 RBIs? What if he ignites the rest of the Giants' offense? What if he is able to give Dillon some extra rest for his nagging back trouble? What if he plays outfield, 2nd base, or anywhere else they can plug him in?

Don't presume that the Mexican League is that bad. Most players find themselves there because the MLB teams have gone with a youth movement. Could it be that he chooses to play in Mexico rather than some Independent League? Have any of you seen a AAA roster lately? Filled with 24 year olds. There aren't too many choices for a guy like Arias to play everyday. (And close to Tucson.)

What players are available from the States with that kind of experience? Maybe the Giants are after a Darrell May showing to reignite the rivalry between the Tigers and the Giants.

I can't go out on a limb and say that this is the Giants' answer, but it does show me that they haven't given up. And for all of those people that have dismissed Arias as a flop before he sets foot in the Tokyo Dome, I ask you, "What if?"
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 1, 2006 4:15 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Why not Arias? Experience at a small price, that's not a bad reason is it? For all of those "what if" people out there, what if he puts up those numbers like 2003

Another what-if player is another thing Yomiuri doesn't need. Yomiuri needs to develop their sorry excuse of a farm system instead of panicking. He's not what Yomiuri needs, he's only here because Yomiuri is panicking and falling down the standings quicker than ever.

- Don't presume that the Mexican League is that bad. Most players find themselves there because the MLB teams have gone with a youth movement.

Never presumed the level of Mexican League play is bad, though it isn't on the level of AAA or Japan either. Many players find themselves there, because they have no other opportunity to play anymore. Like with Arias, he was past his heyday. He tried to come back with the Nationals in 2005, and ended up in Mexico.

Plus, I'm not interested in Arias' .272/.354/.520 with 19 HRs and 71 RBI [Current Minor League Stats], as it's a falloff from his .303/.384/.566 line last year [2005 Potros de Tijuana Stats].

Yomiuri could have done better than Arias. Way better. This is a move of desperation by Tsuneo Watanabe to try and get back in the standings. Sorry, Natesbune, the Yomiuri fanbase deserves better than Arias.

- I can't go out on a limb and say that this is the Giants' answer, but it does show me that they haven't given up.

This is Yomiuri's problem, they refuse to develop their sorry excuse of a farm system. Arias isn't going to help this team recover, this team is far from recovering, thanks to Watanabe. Yomiuri might as well let the youngsters play and develop.
[ Author: Guest: guest from before, no... not that one | Posted: Jul 1, 2006 6:24 AM ]

What concerns me is that when I look at Triple A stats and do my "lazy man's MLEs" I see that where you have a good Triple A player you only have a MLB replacement player. And Triple A is of little quality. But you take the same level of dominance from Japan and you have the very rare and very talented "average" player which every team needs a lot of to win the pennant. This is a huge break in talent. Japan is virtually the major leagues when a Triple A guy goes there. If they were great in triple A, they better cross their fingers that they will still perform up to the average.

Ichiro, who lived where the pyramid disappears in Japan, was still an all star in the Majors. "HOF" minor leaguers are good pinch hit candidates in the Bigs. Gabe Kapler was slightly above MLB replacement when he came over, but it seemed terrible when he went from what was expected to be an all-star quality season by a few to a Japanese Level Replacement season or less. But it wasn't that much of a fall considering at best he looked like a hanging-from-three-fingers-on-average kind of guy, considering the rough NLE (Nippon League Equivalency).

I can't think of anything more frusturating than trying to find those MLB replacement players who the MLB hasn't put in the bank and who will actually thrive in a tough environment to boot. Even harder will be finding the Tuffy Rhodes guys who were underrated and ready to up production. Without forcing trades (we know the Giants have a lot of influence in the game) for players this good and better eventually you're going to have odd talent buildups and drains, of the latter case like the Giants now.

Can you imagine the Yankees staying competitive up until today giving them just their 1998 roster and the abilities to draft in the 30th place and scout for replacement players in the independent leagues or Mexican leagues most of their gazillion trades barred? I shouldn't have to add: they'd be cooked! In-season, the Oakland A's run of the new millennium until 2004 occurred in big part due to key midsummer acquisitions, as did the Red Sox runs in 2003 (BK Kim was a great closer for a few months if you can remember when they had none) and in 2004 when they greatly improved their defense and clubhouse by getting rid of Nomar Garciaparra in exchange for two gold glovers.

Without the ability to address needs with the best options, winning becomes the luxury of those who win the jackpot off their annual 5 dollar ticket in April. (For those who don't get that: I mean the opening day roster.)
[ Author: Guest: Giant Giant | Posted: Jul 3, 2006 2:38 PM ]

- Yomiuri could have done better than Arias. Way better.

Who? Who is out there right now that is a better candidate than Arias? Who has the experience that Arias has? Who knows the ins and outs of Japanese baseball?

Yes, maybe they should have gone with their farm team prospects, but to say that the Giants could have done better is an over-statement.

No player in the States that is putting up any type of numbers would be available to Japan unless they paid the hefty ransom. The Tijuana buyout of Arias' contract was probably a hand full of yen and a six pack of Asahi.

Give me some names of guys who are better [and available]. No names. I would understand, but other players. I want to know so I can draft them for my NPB Fantasy Team.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 3, 2006 5:26 PM | SFT Fan ]

-Who? Who is out there right now that is a better candidate than Arias? Who has the experience that Arias has? Who knows the ins and outs of Japanese baseball?

Yes, and this is what Tuffy Rhodes was supposed to helped Yomiuri? How is this supposed to help Yomiuri's wonderful fall from grace again? More of the same old, same old by Yomiuri management. Panic mode.

Doesn't care if Arias has the experience, Yomiuri is falling quicker than ever. Arias isn't going to help them. Plus his numbers in Mexico aren't that great to start out with.

Third, the 2006 Giants have too much question marks and inconsistent parts to compete. Kosaka/Nishi are plain out horrible. You can read the other topic where I have pointed this out, as I don't feel like going over this again, as it's getting old.

Give me some names of guys who are better [and available]. No names. I would understand, but other players. I want to know so I can draft them for my NPB Fantasy Team.

There are plenty of players available that Yomiuri could have went with and kept Joe Dillon at third base. Such as Jack Cust, Hee Seop Choi, Ernie Young, Dustan Mohr, Andy Abad, Brian Daubach, etc. Matt Kata, Bobby Hill, Justin Leone, and Mike Kinkade are all better options for third baseman in AAA than George Arias.

Maybe Yomiuri has heard of scouting, or maybe not. By the looks of the Arias signing, it doesn't. Sorry Nabestune, this doesn't strike me as a great move.

All of those above players right there aren't going to be on any major league rosters this year and are all better players than Arias any day. Yomiuri is panic mode, and is signing a nostalgic keepsake of the past. Arias isn't helping Yomiuri in their current endevaor. Yomiuri might as well just start developing their farm system.

[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 3, 2006 6:14 PM | HAN Fan ]

I think maybe Arias is being undervalued here. He is at least the proven item in Japan. Whether he can repeat his good figures is open to question. Of the other names mentioned, Kinkade was a failure and Dillon is rapidly proving to be way out of his depth. The others are unproven, and given this, the Giants are perhaps right to go for the real McCoy. Arias didn't get dropped from Tigers because of poor numbers but because he publicly critisized Okada.

With regard to the other points about the Giants' farm team and development, this is a good point, but here the Giants tradition is working against them. They have to remain in contention because they are the Giants.
[ Author: Guest: Giant Giant | Posted: Jul 4, 2006 9:08 AM ]

Now that you have mentioned the above names shows me who I am dealing with. Of all of those names, only a few can play a position other than 1B/DH. Young, Abad and Kinkade did not fair well in NPB (ever). They were busts. None of the others have any type of experience. Daubach has been plagued with injuries. Hill hit 2 HR's in the past two years. Mohr (outfielder) 1 HR this season. Choi (1B only) hitting .207. Cust(outfielder only) under contract. Kata and Leone could be a nice fit ( I will give you that) but no experience and a possible big buyout.

A huge problem is that they are still under contract with a MLB team that is in contention at the ML level. General managers like Billy Beane will demand a buyout of $250,000 (even for triple-A players). And to throw Tuffy into the mix is a joke. Rhodes was HUGE $$$ contract that blew up in the Giants face.

Arias on the other hand is a minimum wage contract. Keep thinking of some names, preferrably a 3B with good power and experience. Scott McLain?? maybe ?? But for the money, the Giants didn't blow it. At least lets see what kind of condition Arias has, than we can judge all we want. Oh and give the guy a few AB's before you jump on or off the bandwagon.
Alternative to Arias
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 4, 2006 4:35 PM | SL Fan ]

Off topic, but I'd love to see Choi in Japan. But it seems like Boston's hanging onto the high OBP/OPS guy because he still has a minor league option. And no Japanese club has a sabremetric approach, so they would undervalue him anyways.
Kattobase, Johji!
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jul 8, 2006 5:49 AM | HT Fan ]

Well, don't forget that George Arias has an MVP - most valuable posterior. A favorite Hanshin Tiger of mine and many girlfriends all over Kansai, who are blinking in disbelief at the sight of him under that YG logo cap.

Beyond the good looks, Arias was a steadfast, everyday quality player for the Tigers and will assuredly bring that to the Giants, too.

So what's to lose in signing him? Sure, it's a desperation move by a drowning team, but what would you have Yomiuri do? Wave a white flag and forfeit the season? No matter what moves they make, they are not going to challenge Chunichi or Hanshin for the pennant this year. A lot of people in these forums said that they were playing over their heads in the early part of the season. So what's the big surprise now?

In the ninth inning of last night's Yomiuri-Carp game, the announcer called Arias a "saviour" as he came to the plate with one on and two outs, Giants down 4-2. That to me seems the problem here. Arias never was, and is not, Roy Hobbs. But he's a sturdy, dependable player who knows the Japanese leagues, was abruptly and unfairly let go from Hanshin two years back, and has plenty of game left. Nothing bad in Yomiuri signing him. He's not going to deliver a pennant, but just be the dedicated and fine player that he always was, is, and will be. I for one am happy to have him around again. Gives me one good thing to think about when thinking about the Yomiuri Giants.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.