Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japan Advance's Thanks to Mexico!

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Japan Advance's Thanks to Mexico!
Mexico beat USA 2-1. With the tie breaking rules, Japan advances to the semi's.
Comments
Re: Japan Advances Thanks to Mexico!
[ Author: Guest: koolranch | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 1:01 PM ]

This is really bittersweet for me, as an American. I wanted to see both the USA and Japan in the finals. After the botched call on Sunday I started rooting for Japan to advance, but now that they have I find it hard to celebrate. Oh well, I think this will be good for the tournament and for future USA teams.

Also, how about Bob Davidson reversing and blowing another huge call? He ruled Valenzuela's foul pole homer a double. Fortunately Cantu brought him home with a single anyway, but it could have been another huge controversy. It'll be a travesty if Davidson is allowed to umpire another game in this tournament - he's awful!
Matsuzaka or Uehara?
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 1:26 PM ]

Will Oh send Uehara or Matsuzaka to the mound vs. Korea?
Re: Matsuzaka or Uehara?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 3:56 PM | CLM Fan ]

I'm hoping Korea, because we really need that win. If we make it to the finals, I don't know who I'd want. Ortiz figured out Watanabe in the Nichi-Bei Series. Uehara hasn't been bad at all, either. I wish Matsuzaka could pitch both games back to back. I think I trust him the most. Anyway, I think it should be Matsuzaka against Korea and Shunsuke against DR or Cuba.

Knowing Oh, I don't think he will stray at all from his rotation. We'll probably see Uehara against Korea and Matsuzaka penned in for the final. If the batting order can get some runs for Uehara and the bullpen, we'll beat Korea. Then, Matsuzaka can pitch in the final and further his legacy.
Re: Japan Advance
[ Author: himself | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 1:55 PM | FSH Fan ]

A little poetic justice, perhaps?

This sets up a semi-final rematchup against South Korea - hopefully, the third time will be the charm.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 6:02 PM | SL Fan ]

Thank you Mexico! And I'm glad that the home run, ridiculously being called a double, wasn't enough to put down the pesky Mexicans. I can't believe Davidson was the 1st base ump in this game. He obviously shouldn't be allowed to be in any more games. What is Bud thinking? This just makes the conspiracy theories seem more likely.

Anyways, I'm glad that Japan got in, being the most deserving second team in the pool. And the rematch with Korea should be epic, to say the least.

Matsuzaka can't pitch in the semis because he pitched more than 50 pitches when he started against Mexico on the 14th. He should be starting the final, though, should Japan advance.
Re: Japan Advances
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 8:54 PM | CLM Fan ]

Bud Selig is a parasite. He actually had an interview during the game in which he claimed "people make mistakes" when asked about the questionable umpiring. When asked about Bonds breaking Ruth's and Aaron's homerun mark, he responded with, "Well, they say that records are meant to be broken." Whatever. I don't like this guy one bit. Does anyone like him? He has to be the most unlikable and uncharismatic guy I've ever seen.
Re: Japan Advances
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 18, 2006 3:35 AM ]

- Does anyone like him? He has to be the most unlikable and uncharismatic guy I've ever seen.

Selig is another clueless person in MLB, that has helped it reach the level it is today. Though, MLBPA union rep Donald Fehr is close. As for me I have no love for Selig as what he has done for baseball under his watch.

As for Davidson, he shouldn't do another game ever, as his calls have been just plain crazy. Next time we need more international umpires, and qualified major league umpires here instead of minor league umpires. Like with Davidson, he's a minor league ump only working part time in the majors after the 1999 umpires' strike.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 6:27 PM ]

Japan's bull pen has been real shaky. I want to see Uehara or Matsuzaka in there at least 7 innings then Fujikawa and Ohtsuka to close it out.

Also, Fukudome shouldn't bat third, he only has had 2 hits in 6 games, and hasn't been doing anything. Maybe he should switch with Ogasawara for the number 3 hitter.
[ Author: Guest: Miggy | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 7:35 PM ]

Congratulations on backing your way into the semi-finals. Good luck against Korea. I don't see them winning 3 of 3.
[ Author: Guest: semajllibfonaf | Posted: Mar 18, 2006 1:02 PM ]

I'm scared that this one will result in an uninteresting, cleanly-called, 5-run win by one side or the other. That would be quite the letdown after the first two clashes!

Go, Team Japan! (Good luck, Team Korea!)
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:08 PM | SL Fan ]

- Congratulations on backing your way into the semi-finals. Good luck against Korea. I don't see them winning 3 of 3.

There's a good chance that this wouldn't have been "backing in" to the semi-finals, had Davidson not been umpiring.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Mar 20, 2006 1:17 PM ]

Did Selig introduce the Wild Card? Because if so, I think that might be his only good mark.
[ Author: Guest: Miggy | Posted: Mar 21, 2006 11:40 AM ]

Can't argue with that.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.