Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

WBC: Bad Call Ruins Game

Discussion in the NPB News forum
WBC: Bad Call Ruins Game
I just finished rooting the American team to a 4-3 victory over Japan in the World Baseball Classic, but I just want to let the people of Japan know that I can take little satisfaction in the win. Japan played a great game, and its opportunity to take the lead was taken away in the 7th inning when the umpires took away a run because they thought the runner had left third base early. He clearly did not leave early, and Japan should have had the lead at that point, with men still on, and only two outs. I think the umpires thought they were actually making the right call, but clearly they were wrong. I would feel terrible and robbed if I was a Japanese fan. I don't think we'll ever know who really won that game.
Comments
Re: WBC: Bad Call Ruins Game
[ Author: Guest: Brian from STL, USA | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 12:25 PM ]

I agree. It was a good game, unfortunately the umpires made the wrong call. Both teams fought hard. It could have gone either way.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 1:34 PM ]

It's an unfortunate situation, but it honestly could have gone either way. It's terrible for Japan, but there's no saying that they would have automatically won the game had that call gone their way. Still, I would have liked to see the game played without something like that.

But you have to remember, these are pro players. They know the nature of the game, and how to deal with that element of human error. But boy is that call gonna be the talk of the town in Japan. Especially now with a tricky road of needing to win out against Mexico and Korea, perhaps.
[ Author: Guest: thebinaryboy | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 2:18 PM ]

I am a life-long baseball fan from the USA and I agree. It is a shame that the outcome of the game was determined by a bad call from the umpire. I sat on my couch through the ninth inning hoping that the US would either win by several runs, or lose. No one wants to win with controversy, and although I support the US team, I would rather see us lose than to win with an apparent bad call.

I have great respect for Japanese Yakyu and I love the way they play the game. I only hope that they will not allow this umpire decision to affect the way they play in the WBC from hence forth. I strongly feel that they will make an impressive showing in the WBC competition, and I think they have already proven that they are amongst the best in worldwide baseball, along with the US, and Carribean teams.
[ Author: Guest: J. Bong | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:29 PM ]

Just watched the play in question, and the ump's call was absurd. I can't ever remember seeing a call like this before, and I think that ump just tarnished the WBC reputation a little bit more - especially because it was the call that aided the US team.

I'm really hoping that the WBC will take off, considering that the Olympics dropped baseball, but mistakes like those that occured in said game are embarrassing to baseball fans everywhere.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 8:52 PM | TYS Fan ]

- Just watched the play in question, and the ump's call was absurd.

Just did the same thing, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Absurd is the only word for it.
[ Author: Guest: j in la | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 6:12 PM ]

I beg to differ on the notion that Team Japan might have lost anyways.

If the umpires made the right call and Japan kept the lead, Aki Ohtsuka would have closed the Americans off to end the game (you have to agree with that).

With Aki and the lead, the percentage of a US comeback would have been as low as Aki's ERA in the Majors.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:41 PM | HT Fan ]

This tournament has everything: the world's top players, interesting situations with club teammates squaring off against each other, great highlight reels every night, even political intervention, and now - just to top things off - a bad umpiring call to spark some controversy.

And it's still early days yet!
[ Author: Guest: big ed | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 12:51 AM ]

I am a big American baseball fan, but after that call, I rooted for Japan. I have watched baseball all my life and have never seen a call reversed like that unless it was blatantly obvious. The reversal was done by an umpire who had already been fired by major league baseball. Perhaps he thought he could get rehired by making that call. Another black mark on American foreign relations!
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 6:19 AM ]

- Another black mark on American foreign relations

Unless George W. Bush was the umpire in question, don't you think referring to a questionable baseball call a black mark on American foreign relations a bit much? Surely such a claim belittles the stupidity and arrogance of this administration.

Now you know why that ump was previously fired by MLB. Also, does anyone know how the umpire contingent was selected?
[ Author: Guest: NPB over MLB | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 1:05 AM ]

- If the umpires made the right call and Japan kept the lead, Aki Ohtsuka would have closed the Americans off to end the game (you have to agree with that).

I was thinking the same thing, clearly Nishioka didn't leave the bag early, Japan got robed of a run by the umps, the game should have been 4-3 Japan with 2 outs with 2 men on base (1st and 2nd), and all the momentum towards Japan. Japan could have scored more runs, who knows, but thanks to the umps.

And the fact that Japan should have had the lead, Oh would have put Aki in the 9th to close it out. But back to the umps when they oveturned the call and called Nishioka out - that tore my heart apart. I was just in shock. This just ruins baseball and ruined what could have been the win for Japan.

BTW im really proud of Kyuji Fujikawa even though he got the loss in the game.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 6:19 AM ]

- BTW, I'm really proud of Kyuji Fujikawa even though he got the loss in the game.

You're right about that. Getting a loss on the umpire's bad call was Fujikawa's pitching. His fastball was unhittable for most of last season in Japan. One of the best all time hitters couldn't do much against it either (Griffey), and A-Rod also was jammed by the pitch, and he said something about the fastball having a LOT of movement in a short interview right after his game-winning hit.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 1:53 AM ]

I want to mention that I think the WBC messed up having only American umps, with the game being played in America. And being a Team USA game, that call might have been biased toward Team USA. WBC should have had umps from all over the world becuase things like this could have been avoided.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 5:46 AM | YBS Fan ]

As disappointed as I am, I'm not ready to call this a conspiracy by U.S. umpires. Mistakes happen. Big ones. But there's no reason to suspect foul play by the umpires at this level. Incompentence? OK. (This applies to a good number of umpires here in Japan.) But I like to think that the umpire in question has the integrity to believe what he called.
[ Author: MHtrStevie | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 6:42 AM | CLM Fan ]

I would have to agree with Westbay-san here. As much as I like Team Japan and wish that bad call hadn't occurred, the fact remains that stuff like this happens all the time. Throughout the MLB playoffs last year, there were a number of calls like this - many of which were to the benefit of the eventual champions, the White Sox. In any game of baseball, there will be calls which go for or against each team.

It's too bad when an ump call ends up potentially deciding a game, but for better or worse that is part of baseball, too.

I think what people might be forgetting is this: aside from some sort of bragging rights, what do any of these countries "gain" by winning or losing this tournament? Nothing. So is it really that important if Japan ends up not advancing out of the second round due to that call? Well, it depends on what the whole point of Japan's participation was. If winning the entire thing is the only way Japan can feel good about the tournament, then they'd better get their heads straight and not let this controversy cost them the games against Mexico and Korea. If they can win those two, there's a chance they might get another shot at the USA in the semis (provided USA can make it there).

But if the idea was to show that NPB and "Pro Yakyu" is at the same level as MLB, that Japan's best stacks up against America's best, well, didn't they just prove that? How much closer could that game be?

Bad call or no, that game reaffirmed for me why I'm a baseball fan. I was on the edge of my seat for most of that game!

- Stevie
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:44 AM | HT Fan ]

I believe the ump in question thought he made the correct call, but even in MLB the umps will get together to make the right call. In this case the call was wrong.

I was routing for the US. But after living in Japan for 6 years, I have never seen the game played any better than the stars from Japan and I found myself cheering for them as well. Ogasawara is the man!

Both teams had several chances to score and win the game. I do believe that the run should have counted, but by no means was the game over at that point. I hope Japan can come back and win 2 and the US can beat Korea so there can be a rematch.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 2:34 PM | HT Fan ]

You have to be careful with this. The soccer World Cup messed up badly in adopting a policy where they selected World Cup referees from all around the world in an attempt to ensure even representation of countries rather than good refs. The result was some shoddy refereeing in the sport's leading tournament.

Skilled umpires should be given priority over nationality every time. The guy in the Japan vs. US game made a mistake. Let's just get over it - I'm sure Japan's baseball team has.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 4:29 AM | FSH Fan ]

I'll tell you what, the organizers of the WBC need to use "neutral" umpires to work in the upcoming tournaments, if there are any. I won't go as far as to say that there was a conspiracy to get the U.S. into the finals, but we have to remind ourselves that three of the umps who worked the game were Americans.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:08 AM ]

Bad calls happen, even at the highest levels. Umpires are human and can make mistakes. But from what I've heard, the initial call was that the runner HAD NOT left too early (the CORRECT CALL). After the correct call had been made, the USA manager appealed.

I've also heard that from the USA manager's vantage point, he likely saw that the runner HAD NOT left early. Now I can't fault the USA manager for appealing, but I've always found appealing solely in the hopes of an umpire mistake to be classless and tacky. Only after the USA's appeal, was the correct call overturned.

One ESPN pundit summed it up best. Here's the gist: The ONLY time an initial call should be overturned is if another umpire is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the initial call was incorrect. I believe the videotape replay is pretty good evidence that none of the umpires was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN.

I'm not suggesting that the bad call was INTENTIONAL. But it might have been SUBCONSCIOUS. I believe most, if not all, of this officiating crew was American.

Even in this day and age, the age of Ichiro, Matsui, etc. - I believe many in the American baseball establishment cling to the belief that they're still the undisputed "best" at the game they've invented. (Joe Morgan's idiotic comments a few months back spring to mind.) A late inning tie between American and Japanese All-Star teams might have been a bit too much for some of those U.S. umps' delicate psyches.

Again, the initial call was only supposed to overturned if another umpire was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN. I realize the umps don't have the benefit of video instant replay. But that's not the issue. Here's the issue:

After viewing the tape, do you believe that ANY UMPIRE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND could have been ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the initial and correct call was wrong?

I believe that no reasonable person, after viewing the videotape replay, could conclude that any of the umpires was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the initial call was incorrect. I think only one umpire fought to overturn the initial call. And I think he was fired from MLB a few years ago when a number of umps decided to strike. This call confirms that this was good riddance. He's a disgrace to his profession. Not for making a bad call, but for fighting to overturn a correct call when, in my opinion, no reasonable umpire, or person for that matter, could have been ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the initial call was incorrect.

Though I do think this "controversial call" will end up being good for the World Baseball Classic overall. Normally, it doesn't matter what people are talking about, as long as they're talking.

And Japan didn't help its cause with its performance in the 9th. I realize that had the correct call stood, Japan would have continued to bat with runners in scoring positition. But assume for a second that Japan wouldn't have scored any more runs. Then A-Rod's single up the middle would have tied the game, and U.S.A. would've continued to bat with the bases loaded.

Who knows? That's what makes this horrendous call all the more frustrating.
[ Author: Guest: semajllibfonaf | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:21 AM ]

What pi**ed me off were the Umps' "expression of his authority" excuse, and the "I'm glad to take one stinking fish of a victory" comment by the US manager.

Fans, managers, or players who want "victory at any cost and by any means" are what really makes baseball nothing but a "business," and I have no interest in following the business news, much less paying for it.

I do not want my team to win due to unusual weather conditions, errors by the other team, or even trick plays, much less by umpire errors, and the fact that this pompous idiot actually stepped in and asserted his power over the game when he over-ruled the correct call - and when he clearly did not have absolute certainty that the initial (and upheld) ruling was incorrect - has ruined this whole WBC for me.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 6:10 AM | CLM Fan ]

I have to say, after watching the WBC, I can proudly say that I am now a Munerin [Munenori] fan. Kawasaki just has this aura about him that makes you want to root for him.

This WBC is no joke to team Japan. They were flying around everywhere. How about that play by Kyuji and Iwamura? Ogasawara with his diving grab. Munerin with that ridiculous over the shoulder grab in left center field.

Let's not forget the American side with Derrek Lee having his great grab. He seems like he's a class act. I loved the fact that he was greeting the Japanese players at first base with a "yoroshiku" and a pat.

I was very nervous about this team Oh picked, but I think this team is so much more fun to watch than if Matsui and Iguchi were on the roster. Great job by Oh, though Fukudome has continued to be a bust. He needs to go back to his classic batting form and stop changing things. Swinging the bat around isn't going to help him hit. Also, Tanishige was just awful with the bat. Those at bats really made me miss Johjima. The Dragons haven't impressed me much so far. It would've been nice to have Iwase in the bullpen, though.

I'm rooting for Korea against the USA! No matter what, I want Asian baseball to prevail.

[By Admin: Is "Munerin" what the American announcers are calling him? Or a nickname I hadn't heard before?]
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 9:35 AM | HAN Fan ]

Umpires can always make mistakes, but this seems to have been a case of pomposity and pique. When the plate umpire started talking about it being his call, then one realised it wasn't the accuracy of the decision that was important. I am reminded of the cricketer Imran Khan's comment on another umpiring controvesy (which he was not involved in) "when you give a little man power he will use it to show you how little he is." Davison should have backed his colleague who was in the best position to see.

I am also afraid that the US team manager also bears a fair amount of responsibility for this tacky episode. Certainly he was within his rights to dispute whether Nishioka had left the base early, but then once the second base umpire had ruled he should have accepted the decision. Not gone running to another umpire. He might do well to consider that "it's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game."

Oh and his team have a right to feel aggrieved over this very poor performance.
[ Author: Guest: NPB over MLB | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 1:27 PM ]

Buck Martinez, he acted so childish along with Team USA when they got the call overturned by pumping his fist and yelling in excitement and team USA jumping up and down. I felt like Japan and Sadaharu Oh were being disrespected by that. Any one feel the same way?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 1:39 PM | SL Fan ]

I agree with most of what is posted here, nice calm dissection of the events. The series of unlikely events (touch up being disputed, then overturned) does make it look suspicious, but in the end a power trip by the subquality umpire may have been the root cause of this ugly overturned call. Wrong time and the wrong place for little men to be waging power battles.

I wonder how this event was perceived in Latin America and how much attention it got, does anyone know?
[ Author: MHtrStevie | Posted: Mar 15, 2006 12:25 AM | CLM Fan ]

I figured I'd bring up a little more about Davidson (the home plate ump) in that game which hasn't been mentioned.

I watched that game from the start, and I remember clearly that both the players in the game as well as the ESPN annnoucing team were commenting and complaining somewhat about Davidson's calls of balls and strikes. The big problem was his inconsistency, and it did seem pretty evident - a ball located low and outside would get called a strike to one batter, and then a ball in the same location two batters later would get called a ball. It looked like players on both teams were bothered by that, as they were having trouble figuring out when to swing and when to let a ball pass. A batter can get used to an umpire's strike zone as long as it's called consistently. Not to heap more criticism on Davidson, but it seems like another indication that he was having a very bad day out there.

The appearance of the whole thing does end up looking bad, but arguing hypotheticals about whether that cost Japan the victory or not are an exercise in futility. Thankfully, it looks like from Japan's player comments that they are moving on from this and focusing on Mexico. The real shame of this would be if Japan lets this get to them. By no means is the Classic over for them.

- Stevie
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 4:38 PM | CLM Fan ]

Haha. That's his idol nickname given to him by female fans.
[ Author: Guest: tookin23 | Posted: Mar 16, 2006 10:16 AM ]

FYI BigMan, Derrick Lee's father played in Japan.

I was at the game surrounded by mostly USA fans (of course). I'm a fourth generation Japanese-American who was very proud of the play from Team Japan.

It was the absolute worst call I've ever seen. Then to head back home and watch the replay - over and over again just hurt big time. I heard people at the park yelling "Come on! Show these amatures what's up" or "These little Japanese players suck!"

I then went back to the park to watch the Mexico vs. Korean game (Korea has been playing some great ball). I ran into a baseball fan (non-Asian) in the team store and we began to talk baseball. He said he watched the game at home and couldn't believe the call Davidson made.

I felt at ease that everyone would recognize that Japan can compete at the MLB level, and given a fair chance, could beat a team of MLB players.

My hats off to Canada and Korea for beating USA.

Go NIPPON!
[ Author: Guest: Dalton | Posted: Mar 16, 2006 4:05 PM ]

Sadly, I just watched Korea beat Japan. Even though Japan's loss means that my U.S. team stays alive in the tournament, I take very little satisfaction from that. The U.S. team is mediocre at best and doesn't deserve to move on, in my opinion. The U.S. team has very little heart in this. Griffey, Clemens, Chipper Jones, and Derek Lee are the only four U.S. players worth anything in this tournament. To see Japan get robbed by a terrible call makes the U.S.'s possible advancement that much less deserved.

I can say I've learned from watching the Japanese play. I can also say that they became my favorite team in the WBC. I root for the U.S. because I should, but my heart is with the Japanese. Because of the Japanese team, I have taken a new interest in the Japanese style of baeball, of which I knew absolutely nothing prior to the WBC. I want to follow this year's season in Japanese baseball, I want to learn about all the good players and teams, I want to know more about the style of play and how different it is from American style.

So thanks to the Japanese team for a great tournament. They can hold their heads high, and they've definitely picked up some fans. The good part for me is that I live in Seattle so I get to continue watching Ichiro play on a regular basis. But I still really wish the Japanese could have moved on to the semi-finals. They deserve it.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 16, 2006 8:29 PM | CLM Fan ]

Welcome. As a fellow Seattlite, I shall be at SafeCo a few times this year to catch Johjima and Ichiro. I know for sure that I'm going to one game against the White Sox (my favorite team in the U.S.).
[ Author: Guest: otter | Posted: Mar 16, 2006 5:58 PM ]

I'm a life-long Yankee fan. So I've been watching the WBC to watch Jeter, A-Rod, and Damon play for the first time this year. I must say I have been impressed with the level of play - even South Africa showed heart againt Team Canada.

I too was shocked and appalled by that call, and I have been very impessed with the NPB players and Japanese baseball in general. I agree with several comments here which I would like to reitterate.

First, to me we really don't know who won the game, but to assume Japan would have is a bit premature. Even if Japan had scored two runs, A-Rod would have made the score 5-4 with the bases loaded. Second, this being Spring training for MLB, I think the WBC should have been played in late October. I don't like the thought of a player being injured in the WBC and missing the entire season for his team because he is playing cold.

Also, I'm very disappointed in some MLB players for not stepping up and representing Team USA. This is supposed to be the best team the U.S. can put on the feild. Where is Barry Bonds? Where is Roy Halliday or Curt Schilling for that matter? I want Randy Johnson, not Randy Winn. The All-Star Team could slap this team around and that's a shame.

I'd like to give Japan my consolation on a hard fought game vs. Korea. Even though they have been eliminated, Team Japan has impressed me and many American fans, and I for one would like to see more Japanese baseball.

GO CARP!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 16, 2006 10:20 PM ]

Japan's not eliminated yet. If Mexico wins, Japan is still in it.
[ Author: Guest: otter | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 4:56 AM ]

Sorry. I stand corrected.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 11:44 AM | SL Fan ]

Apparently Davidson turned a Mexico home run (that hit the foul pole) into a ground rule double. Same umpire making obviously erroneous calls that help the U.S. in multiple games. Hmm, the conspiracy theorists may have a point.
[ Author: Guest: kuma | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 11:45 AM ]

Now in another controversial play, the very same umpire ruled a hit that was 10 feet up the foul poll to have gone off the wall. Because that runner scored, the only negative result of the call is emotional, but that can't be discounted.

I don't want to call Bob Davidson a cheater, but as a long time veteran umpire, how do you foul up two calls like this? The non-home run for Mexico being far more obvious than calling the Japanese runner out? Could the personal feelings of a respected veteran umpire such as himself be interfering with his judgement?

Based solely on the inaccuracy of his calls, he HAS to be replaced for the final rounds.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 12:46 PM | HT Fan ]

And Japan did advance!

But not before this particular ump messed up another potentially critical call early in the Mexico-U.S. game, deciding a ball that hit the foul pole actually came off the wall. I don't think this guy's going to be called back the majors anytime soon.
[ Author: jomcclane | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 1:22 PM ]

I was beginning to think that my first post might have been a bit too harsh...

...but then I saw Davidson blow TWO more calls in the USA-Mexico game.

First on an outfield flyout, he called a USA runner returning to 1st safe on a very close play. The runner looked out on the replay.

Then Davidson called a clear home run a ground-ruled double. But Mexico singled home the runner on 2nd anyway, so Davidson wasn't able to do any real damage this time.

I definitely don't regret my earlier comments now.

But now I'm not sure whether Davidson is a disgracefully biased buffoon, or a just a pathetic old man past his prime (though I doubt he ever had a prime).

Regardless, he has no business umpiring anything anymore - College, High School, Little League.

What I found most disturbing about the blown home run/ground-ruled double call was that no one else in that umpiring crew was willing to overturn a call so clearly incorrect.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 1:22 PM ]

Yea, I agree with some of you, this Bob Davdson ump is just not right. The ball even had yellow paint on it from the foul pole.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Mar 17, 2006 2:21 PM ]

USA out, Japan in. Order is restored.
[ Author: Guest: semajllibfonaf | Posted: Mar 18, 2006 12:44 PM ]

I am ASTOUNDED that I now lean toward the theory that a professional umpire, Davidson, consciously cheated in order to get Team USA into the semis!

The unbelievably stupid missed called on a painfully obvious home run was just a crack in my previous assumption of his arrogance/incompetence, but seeing his inexcusible miscall on the pickoff at first base, where he clearly has as good a view as the replay camera, coupled with exactly the wrong kind of "I-just-got-away-with-cheating" smirk just long enough AFTER the call, tilts me from the mildest, but still d*mning, suspicion into an accusation.

It was all for nought, finally, but it, the home run miscall, and the call against Japan still stink.

We will never know, unless he drunkenly lets the story out someday, but save us from seeing any more of Mr. Davidson, now or ever!
[ Author: Guest: j in la | Posted: Mar 18, 2006 5:17 PM ]

Dwight Clark had "The Catch." Bob Davidson had "The Call" (and "The Call II").
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:06 PM | SL Fan ]

I'm just glad he had no effect on the outcome and play of the semi-final games. Hope he stays away from the finals. WBC definitely needs a competent international crew of umpires, and the baseball world needs to unify the rules regarding the strike zone, ball, etc.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.