Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

NPR story

Discussion in the NPB News forum
NPR story
David Foreman-san (dforeman at washjeff edu) writes:

Below is a link to a story that discusses Japanese baseball and how it is affected by the "defection" of stars. It is an audio file that originally aired on NPR's Morning Edition. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the story.

NPR 2001.06.15 archive

Comments
Comments
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 20, 2001 4:03 AM | YBS Fan ]

I found that I disagreed with some of the reporter's history of the game.  It seems like some myths (playing for few runs to not disrupt "wa") never die.  And anyone who doesn't think that managers argue so as not to make the umpire "lose face" hasn't seen Hoshino-kantoku in action.  Granted, a lot of the managers are kinder, gentler men, and kind of laugh as they "discuss" how blanently obvious a call was, but Hoshino, Higashio, and a couple of others will down right publicly humiliate some of the umps.

Overall, though, while the report is still talking doom and gloom, the reporter did try to end on a happy note.  It would be nice to see the "World Series" live up to its name one day.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.