Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The Tigers Fired WHO?!?!

Discussion in the NPB News forum
The Tigers Fired WHO?!?!
It was reported on TV last night and in today's newspapers that Hanshin fired Marc Valdez, the closer who ended the season with 4 wins, 3 losses, and 22 saves.

Even during the Tigers' rapid descent in the middle of the season, Valdez was one of our most consistent performers.

There were two reasons given.
  1. Hanshin needs all the money they can get to acquire both Petagine (at 1 billion yen a year) and Kanemoto.
  2. With Williams coming in 2003, and Trey Moore already here, one of the gaijin pitchers (i.e., Valdez) would have had to play on the farm team.
Hoshino-kantoku said he agonised over the decision, but was left with no choice. All I can say is, this Williams guy had better be good! If he isn't, Hoshino has just made a big mistake.

Incidentally, the firing of Valdez raises a few questions.
  1. If we assume Hanshin has Williams, Moore, and Petagine next season, does that mean George Arias will be allowed to stay?
  2. If Arias does stay and we get Kanemoto and Petagine, assuming Petagine bats 4 and Kanemoto 5, where will Osamu Hamanaka, Shinjiro Hiyama, and Arias bat?
  3. Does this spell the end for the hapless Atsushi Kataoka (Hanshin's very expensive mistake)?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.