Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rhodes Returns Home, Giant Career Over

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rhodes Returns Home, Giant Career Over
I was looking through Kyodo News at lunch today and came across this article (in Japanese) stating that Rhodes is returning to the U.S. today (August 19) for treatment on his right shoulder that has been in pain since well before being put on the Disabled List on August 9. The article states that Rhodes' two year contract is up at the end of this season, and that it's highly unlikely that the Giants will be renewing it. There is no mention if any other teams are interested in him, but no team would be "officially" allowed to say so until his contract expires, anyway.

The article mentions that Rhodes was the second player to win the Home Run Crown in both the Pacific and Central Leagues. Can anyone tell me who the other player was?
Comments
Re: Rhodes Returns Home, Giant Career Over
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 1:46 PM | SL Fan ]

Trivia answer: Ochiai took the triple crown with Lotte three times, then a HR and RBI champ with Chunichi later.

Too bad Rhodes' NPB career came to such a disappointing end, after such a long and popular success.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 1:54 PM | YBS Fan ]

Gee, the trivia question was answered quickly.

Anyway, while others have speculated that Rhodes' career in Japan is finished, I still refuse to believe that. Even the Kyodo article was careful to say that the Giants would most likely not extend his contract. I won't count Rhodes as ending his NPB career until he makes such a statement or until November, when teams can be open about their interest (or lack thereof).
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 2:56 PM ]

This comes as a sadden event for me, even though I was a critic of some of Rhodes' actions this year. It just doesn't seem like Yomiuri was a great place for Rhodes to play at.

I'm still not sure if Rhodes will be back next year in the NPB given his actions this year. His comments about Yomiuri coach Sumio Hirota, his comments about his teammates, and his refusal to take part in a customary hero interview just make me seem he will not be back next year.

A team like Orix or Rakuten might still take a look at Rhodes. Rhodes is still a favorite with Buffaloes' fans if I'm not mistaken? It might work out well if Orix re-signs him. He could be a spark for the Orix Buffaloes.

Though I won't rule out the Giants not re-signing Rhodes, I'm counting against it highly. Though Rhodes might still be back in the NPB next year.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Aug 19, 2005 3:41 PM | YAK Fan ]

If Rhodes will agree to a cut in salary, I'm sure he'll be able to play somewhere in NPB. Of course this is just speculation, but I don't see Tuffy coming back with another CL team. If Yomiuri does somehow manage to lure Alex Cabrera away from Seibu, then might the Lions be interested? Rakuten is another option, as they stated they'll be looking for some new foreigners during the off-season.
[ Author: khendo | Posted: Aug 22, 2005 11:28 PM | YG Fan ]

Tuffy's return to NPB is contingent upon his upcoming MRI in the US. If something is found in his shoulder that requires lengthy rehab then he'll most likely retire, otherwise, he'll return to the Giants by early September.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.