Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hoshino-SD on Giants' Managerial List

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hoshino-SD on Giants' Managerial List
It was reveiled yesterday (August 10) that Hanshin's Hoshino-Special Director has been added to the list of possible managers for the Giants next season. In the Giants' 71 year history, the manager has been someone from inside the Yomiuri organization, yet along side Hara, Nakahata (my favorite), and Egawa, the Giants are considering Hoshino, who turned the Tigers into a championship team in just two years, or possibly a foreign manager.

Hoshino is just leaving the country for a television spot with Hideki Matsui (Yankees), as well as to take in some Independent League games, so he was unavailable for comment when this story broke. He will be returning to Japan in time for the Giants-Tigers match-up on August 26th at Koshien.

It was my impression that when Hoshino retired as manager for the Tigers, taking on the Special Director position, it was due to the fact that managing was detrimental to his health. And with the things that Hoshino has said in the past about Watanabe-kaicho, I just don't see this happening. There has got to be another reason for this press release - like maybe to spark interest in the Giants?

Then again, I didn't think that Nomura-kantoku would take a managerial job elsewhere as soon as he did, so my record on predicting managerial hirings isn't necessarily that good.
Comments
Re: Hoshino-SD on Giants' Managerial List
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 11, 2005 9:28 AM ]

I doubt Hoshino would be Yomiuri's manager. Hoshino has always been critical of Watanabe. How this would work out with Hoshino as manager would be almost scary.

Nomura got a managing job with the Shidax industrial league team after his wife's tax evasion scandal. Though I'm leery of Hoshino managing the Giants due to Hoshino disagreements with Watanabe in the past.

- There has got to be another reason for this press release - like maybe to spark interest in the Giants?

Probably. We know the Giants' TV ratings are down this year from what I've heard. The Giants' popularity is down due to Nabetsune's insistance to try to push through last year's unpopular merger. This might be another one of Nabestune's great ploys (who knows?). I'm expecting that this is one of Watanabe's little ploys to spark interest in the Giants. Though I can't be certain, it makes sense.

I just can't see Hoshino managing for the Giants as every Yomiuri manager has come from inside the organization and Hoshino has been highly critical of Watanabe. This is most likely a ploy by Tsuneo Watanabe. Time will tell.
OT: Televised Games
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Aug 11, 2005 7:22 PM | HT Fan ]

Sorry for the digression, but...
We know the Giants' TV ratings are down this year from what I've heard.
Not just this year, either. Giants' TV ratings have been in a declining trend for a few years now. That was one of the reasons the Yomiuri TV network stopped broadcasting night games from their 6PM start time a few years back. Maybe I'm biased as an avid watcher of TV baseball coverage, but if you're not going to show the whole game from "Play ball" to the final out, don't bother showing it at all.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 11, 2005 10:48 AM | HAN Fan ]

I must confess to being sceptical myself. It may happen, but really I suspect it is a publicity stunt. All indications are that Hoshino is enjoying himself with the Tigers.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 11, 2005 9:32 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yahoo! Japan are saying that Hoshino is number one on the Giants' list. They are also claiming that he has talked with Watanabe to iron out any differences they have. I am still sceptical, especially as his health would be a big issue.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Aug 13, 2005 3:41 AM ]

- [T]he Giants are considering Hoshino, who turned the Tigers into a championship team in just two years, or possibly a foreign manager [...]

Are they really considering a foreign manager? Who might be in the running?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 13, 2005 9:18 AM ]

- Are they really considering a foreign manager?

I couldn't see the Giants considering a foreign manager either. It would be extremely difficult for a foreigner to manage with Yomiuri management (i.e. Tsuneo Watanabe). I just don't see how this would work. I would see the two parties having more disagreements than agreements leading to the manager's release quick.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 6, 2005 9:53 PM ]

The Yomiuri Giants have supposedly notified the Hanshin Tigers of their intention to offer Hoshino the managerial job, former Hanshin Tigers owner Shunjiro Kuma said Tuesday. [Full Story - Japan Ball]

I still doubt Hoshino will manage the Giants, as he has been a tough critic of Watanabe and he also resigned from the Hanshin managerial job because of health reasons.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 7, 2005 11:59 AM ]

Hanshin Tigers' owner Masatoshi Tezuka has said Hanshin has yet to be approached by Yomiuri about Hoshino. Tezuka said he will continue to ask Hoshino to stay in his position in the front office as Special Director. Former Hanshin Tigers' owner Shunjiro Kuma later issued a statement saying he shared the same opinion about Hoshino that Tezuka does.

On Tuesday evening (September 6), Senichi Hoshino said he flatly denied recieving an offer from Yomiuri. Hoshino said, "That's the last thing you can think of and I would say if I'd really gotten an offer, returning to a (manager's) job doesn't happen so easily and you know there has to be the right timing for certain things."

[Full Story - Japan Ball]
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 10, 2005 1:58 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hoshino has just issued a press release saying that he will not be moving to Kyojin but will be staying with Tigers.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 10, 2005 10:26 PM | HT Fan ]

The Mainichi Daily News has the story here [in English].
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.