Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Announcements - August 7, 2002

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Announcements - August 7, 2002
This is a short article that I've been wanting to do for a while, but tend to forget every week. You see, pretty much every Wednesday I pick up Shukan Baseball from my local bookstore in front of the station. And more often than not, there are some useful, timely announcments in it. But if I put it off until Friday, it's too late for some of the announements.

So, here's the first "Announements" post in what I hope becomes a useful series to those of you who don't have access to Shube.

How many foreign players is fair?
This is the theme for the 20th "Shube Internet Questionnaire." Go to Shukan Baseball's Web Baseball page, and click the image on the left that says "OPINION." This will open up a feedback form. The fields are:
Name
Subject
Message (no tags or half-pitch kana)

I don't know how they'll respond to answers in English, so if you can, write in Japanese. In the subject field, be sure to include "Questionnaire #20." In the messsage, they want where you're from, your name (or pen-name), and male/female.

Hideki Matsui premire #4 batter
For Questionnare #18, 38.5% of 1,521 fan votes said that Hideki Matsui is Japanese baseball's premire #4 batter. Here are the results:

38.5% Hideki Matsui (YG)
23.9% Norihiro Nakamura (OKB)
7.7% Roberto Petagine (YS)
6.0% Tomoaki Kanemoto (HC)
4.3% Hiroki Kokubo (FDH)
2.6% Alex Cabrera (SL)
2.6% George Arias (HT)

Votes for Players' Association "pet mark"
The Japan Professional Baseball Players' Association (JPBPA) is hosting a vote for a new "pet mark" for the JPBPA. Select one of the nine entries at the top. The remaining fields are:

Reason for selection
Name
Zip code (3 then 4 digits)
Prefecture (the item at the bottom is "other")
Address
Male or Female

They are accepting votes until August 12. The results will be announced August 30. Three voters will be selected in a drawing for goods used by players.

Comments
Results of Poll
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 21, 2002 9:06 PM | YBS Fan ]

I don't know how many of you cast your votes, but the results to the above questionnaire have been tallied.

No restrictions:  33.7%
4 foreigners: 24.5%
3 foreigners: 12.2%
2 foreigners: 12.2%
0 foreigners: 2.0%
Other: 15.4%

Total votes: 1,274

That comes out to just about half for a limit and half for either no limit or some other rule (such as not counting players from Taiwan and Korea in the quotas).

If you're interested in the next Shube poll, the question is, "Between Rhodes and Cabrera, who will break 55?" Instruction on how to vote are above, with this being questionnaire #22. They're taking votes and comments until August 26th (JST). For those who haven't heard, Cabrera took the lead last night (August 20) with his 40th home run, finally surpassing Rhodes who has hit 39.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.