Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Will Terahara be the next Matsuzaka?

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Will Terahara be the next Matsuzaka?
I saw Terahara's pitching a few days ago and was impressed. Before I saw him pitch, I regarded him as a big bonus-baby being hyped too much. But he threw a real pitching gem against Nippon Ham for 8 innings with a consistant 90~92mhp fastball. His command of his breaking pitch was there, too. I found that his strict overhand arm action provided more downward movement on his breaking stuff so hitters could not easily hit it.

I watched Matsuzaka, who's considered the best of the best hurler in Japan, a lot of times and knew his stuff too. Surely, Matsuzaka has lost some pop on his fastball these days and is showing signs of fatigue due to the severe workload from past four years.

In my opinion, Terahara can be the next Matsuzaka someday not too far from now. He's now on the process of adjusting. His velocity has not fully recovered yet. (It is said that he can throw in the 94~96mph range without distracting his control.) If he finds comfort on the pro-ball mound, his fastball will come back, and he can dominate just like Matsuzaka did his rookie days.

[Links inserted by: westbaystars on May 30, 2002 6:29 PM JST]
Comments
Re: Will Terahara be the next Matsuzaka?
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: May 30, 2002 12:24 PM | YOK Fan ]

He pitched yesterday and threw another gem. I think 8 strikeouts, was roughed up in the fourth, settled down to retire the side in the fifth and sixth (struck em all out in the sixth). And on the other side was none other than Matsuzaka. I didn't watch the whole game but it looked like Terahara kept the Seibu batters off balance with his off speed pitches. A lot of credit to Johjima.

morosuki

[Links added by: westbaystars on May 30, 2002 6:35 PM JST]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.