Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yakult Wins Opening Series, Loses Furuta

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yakult Wins Opening Series, Loses Furuta
While the defending champion Yakult Swallows took the opening two game series at Nagoya Dome 5-4 and 3-1, they lost their team captain last night in the 6th inning for what could be a week or more.

Yakult took a 3-0 lead in the top of the 6th inning. Araki led off the bottom of the 6th with a base hit to right. After Ibata grounded out to starting pitcher Newman advancing the runner, Haru hit an RBI double to answer with one run. Fukudome flied out to center, unable to advance the runner. Then, when clean up man Gomez singled to left, Haru kicked third and headed to the plate. The throw from left to a blocking Furuta was in time to get Haru sliding into home.

But the slide hit Furuta's left knee hard. Many of you may remember Furuta missing some time at the end of last season as he nursed his, yes, left knee. Furuta said that he couldn't walk after the block and was immediately taken out of the game. While Furuta is to get complete tests done on his knee today (4/1 - and no, this isn't an April fool's joke), the Swallows' chief trainer says that it'll be at least a week before Furuta can get into a game. Furuta said, "It's taken half a year to recover... I'm greatly disappointed. But a catcher has got to block the plate."

Yakult fans will be hoping for a speedy recovery of their team captain. I just hope they don't rush him like they did at the end of last year, when a little rest could have reduced that 6 month recovery time.
Comments
Furuta All Right
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 2, 2002 7:39 AM | YBS Fan ]

According to Nikkan Sports, Furuta had an MRI scan yesterday (4/1) and was pronounced to be fit for play if he didn't feel any pain. After his check up, he was seen running 50 meter dashes in the outfield of Jingu.

Furuta told reporters, "As you can see, everything is fine. I don't know if I'll be in the game tomorrow or not, but 10 days (on the DL) isn't necessary."

But Wakamatsu-kantoku is playing it conservatively. While relieved that Furuta isn't out of action for the long term, he says that he does want to rest Furuta for a few days, perhaps bring him back to the starting line-up against Hanshin starting this Friday (4/5).

Well, it's a relief to know that Yakult's team captain is all right.
Re: Furuta All Right
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Apr 5, 2002 8:19 PM ]

The good thing about them resting Furuta is that it gives some at bats to the other catchers and gives
Wakamatsu a chance to more fairly evaluate who would be good if Atsuya's knee ligament finally gives way.
Kosei Ono has had a couple big hits lately. I hope he
can be a force eventually.
Furuta Returns
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2002 10:30 AM | YBS Fan ]

It looks like Furuta's rest is over after just one series instead of one week. Yes, the team captain who looked like he'd re-injured his knee (knee ligament) last Sunday returned to action last Thursday against Hiroshima as a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 12th in Yakult's first loss of the season. He's been behind the plate ever since.

I'm afraid that Ono's bid to be a force in the future is being postponed until the next bump in the knee while blocking home.
Re: Furuta Returns
[ Author: Guest: Tom Buske | Posted: Apr 11, 2002 4:56 AM ]

Hopefully, Furuta's knee will hold up at least for a little while. I have a personal interest in that I foolishly ignored Garland-san's excellent advice and put Furuta on my fantasy team. If he doesn't respond well, it will be off to the Taxi Squad to get Jojima.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.