Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fujii K's 9 Hawks in a Row

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Fujii K's 9 Hawks in a Row
Open-sen (pre-season games) have been going on for a couple of weeks, now. Besides Hanshin getting off to a 4 and 0 start, the biggest news so far has got to be Yakult's young ace lefty, Fujii, striking out 11 Hawks in 4 innings of work yesterday (3/4) afternoon, including 9 in a row.

Shibahara led off the bottom of the first at Fukuoka Dome striking out. This was a sign of things to come. Valdez followed with a base hit. After that, it was all Fujii as he retired the next 9 batters on strike outs.

After Valdez fell as number 9 in a row in to lead off the 4th inning, Iguchi flew out to left to give the fielders something to do. Back to back base hits by Yoshimoto and Ohmichi (a double) resulted in Daiei's only run.

But with a 4-1 lead, Fujii settled back down and struck out Burkhart to retire the side, calking up his 11th K out of 12 outs.

Fujii stepping up like this to take over as league strike out king should help the loss of Ishii to the Dodgers to be minimal.
Comments
Re: Fujii K's 9 Hawks in a Row
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Mar 5, 2002 7:34 PM ]

For you stat heads out there, twice in Japanese baseball history has a pitcher gotten nine consecutive strikeouts in an official game. The first such feat was in 1957 by southpaw Takao Kajimoto of the Hankyu Braves (now the Orix Blue Wave) against Nankai (now Daiei) on July 23rd of that year. Kajimoto went on to win 24 games that year and lose 16 with an ERA of 1.92 in 53 appearances. For his career, Kajimoto won 254 and dropped 255 with a lifetime ERA of 2.98. Can you say, "no run support"?

The other time someone has culled nine straight empties from opposition batters was on May 31st of 1958, when Masayuki Dobashi of the Toei Flyers (now Nippon Ham) did it against the Nishitetsu (now Seibu) Lions. In 1961, Dobashi would be a 30 game winner and eventually finish with a record of 162-135 with an ERA of 2.66. So Fujii has gotten himself into some pretty elite company.

In 1971, lefthander Yutaka Enatsu, who also owns the strikeout world record for a season at 401 (that was in 329 innings, 10.97 K/9 against an average of 2.65 BB/9) in 1968 when he was with Hanshin, started against the Pacific League's best in an all star game at Nishinomiya Stadium and nine came up and nine went back to the dugout after leaving strike three behind in the catcher's mit. And to make it even more memorable, Enatsu clouted a dinger deep into the rightfield stands in the top of the second. Eight of the nine Enatsu whiffed went down hacking.

And to make this accomplishment even crazier, in 1970, Enatsu fanned the final five hitters he faced in that season's all star series and then got another strikeout against the first hitter he faced in the third game in the 1971 all star series. Thus, Enatsu mowed down 15 of the PL's finest in a row in those five innings. Incredible.

Yomiuri Giants great Suguru Egawa struckout eight in a row in all star action in 1984 to come close to Enatsu. The MLB all star record for consecutive strikeouts by one pitcher is five.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Mar 5, 2002 11:39 PM | CHU Fan ]

Thanks for the information.

I picked up a book sometime ago on Ebay that is a celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the two league system in Japan. Since it's all in Japanese, I can't read a word of it, but they have a lot of pictures and I've been able to identify most of the players. In the section on All Star games, they have pictures of both Enatsu and Egawa and (I assume) some discussion of both of their feats. On the same page with them, there is a picture of Daisuke Matsuzaka that is apparantly from the 1999 All Star series. Did he have an impressive consecutive strikeout stretch in an All Star Game also?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Mar 6, 2002 12:04 PM ]

> Thanks for the information.
>
> I picked up a book sometime ago on Ebay that is a
> celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the two league
> system in Japan. Since it's all in Japanese, I can't
> read a word of it, but they have a lot of pictures
> and I've been able to identify most of the players.
> In the section on All Star games, they have pictures
> of both Enatsu and Egawa and (I assume) some
> discussion of both of their feats. On the same page
> with them, there is a picture of Daisuke Matsuzaka
> that is apparantly from the 1999 All Star series.
> Did he have an impressive consecutive strikeout
> t stretch in an All Star Game also?

I don't think it was consecutive, but he struck out 5 in three innings. I think but I can't at all accurately recall, that he struck out two in the first, two in the second, and then one in the third. The key point, though, is that this was Matsuzaka's rookie year. Pretty darn impressive...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.