Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Karim Garcia to Japan in 2005?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Karim Garcia to Japan in 2005?
There is a report in one of the New York papers that Karim Garcia, former part time right fielder for the Mets and Yankees, will play in Japan in 2005. His stats are posted here [MLB.com].

Garcia has had more success against lefties than righties. He has some talent, but has never really been a regular, full-time player. He is known for his heroic home run in the post season for the Yankees a couple years back. He is better known for fighting a groundskeeper at Fenway Park during that series. Criminal charges are pending. He also had a drunken altercation one night with a pizza delivery boy in Florida during spring training. No charges were filed nor was a civil suit pursued, so I think his involvement was minimal. Trouble seems to follow him. He has played for many teams. Hope he stays away from the sochu and follows the rules.

As a player in Japan, I think he has real potential. He is a Benny Agbayani type hitter. He can hit for power, but he's streaky. He really doesn't do well against righties. His defense is OK.

Keep an eye out for him. I could see him hitting 30 homers in Japan with a decent average.
Comments
Re: Karim Garcia to Japan in 2005?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 11, 2004 7:12 AM ]

- As a player in Japan, I think he has real potential.

Karim Garcia could have potential after watching him shortly play for Baltimore. Though I have to say, Garcia to me wouldn't do well in Japan with his attitude and prior actions.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Sep 12, 2004 1:48 PM ]

I'm not sure his attitude was so bad, but he has to keep out of trouble. Hence my comment on following the rules and watching the sochu.

We shall see. NPB is probably his last chance at becoming a regular.
[ Author: LUCKY 7 | Posted: Sep 24, 2004 10:42 AM | HT Fan ]

I could see him having the potential to becoming a regular in Japan. I'm thinking Fighters or any Central League team that clinches a spot or one after (e.g. Hanshin).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.