Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Dodgers, Mariners Interested in Shimoyangi

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Dodgers, Mariners Interested in Shimoyangi
Free agent starting pitcher Tsuyoshi Shimoyangi is apparently drawing interest from the Seattle Mariners and Los Angeles Dodgers.

He flirted with the majors in 2003 and hired Scott Boras as an agent, but no MLB teams were interested in the lefty.

Shimoyangi went 10-8 with a 4.11 ERA in 25 games with the Hanshin Tigers.

Source: Hochi Sports
Comments
Re: Dodgers, Mariners Interested in Shimoyangi
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 9, 2007 3:12 PM | CLM Fan ]

I really hope this isn't the Mariners' answer for a starting rotation pitcher. Shimoyanagi is a real long shot for success in the majors.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 10, 2007 1:04 AM | NIP Fan ]

I guess the Mariners figure if Jamie Moyer could do okay in the majors being old, left-handed, clever, and throwing 65mph, so can Shimoyanagi.

(But really, I can't imagine him heading to the majors. Sorry. I mean, there are better ways to avoid hanging out with Satoru Kanemura, I'm sure.)
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 10, 2007 1:47 AM | SFT Fan ]

Yeah, something like that. Though I seriously doubt that he would be a starter with Seattle. Still, Mariners' GM Bill Bavasi has fooled me before in the past.

He's probably going to be one of those situational relievers against lefties, but seeing as he has a high WHIP (Walks + Hits per 9 IP) of 1.52, I'd be really shocked if he gets anything more than a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Nov 10, 2007 5:53 PM ]

If Shimoyanagi gets a chance in the U.S., it will be as a relief pitcher. He doesn't have anywhere near the kind of stuff anymore - if he ever had it - to go through more than a few major league hitters at a time.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 14, 2007 6:21 AM | SFT Fan ]

This article [Japan Ball] says that Shimoyangi is likely to stay in Japan. As mentioned above, it was very unlikely a MLB team would offer him a guaranteed deal.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 21, 2007 4:13 AM | SFT Fan ]

Just another update to the Shimoyangi situation. He says he doesn't plan on leaving Hanshin, but desires to move to the majors, which I see as highly unlikely.

Source: Daily Sports
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.