Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ivan Rodriguez to Japan?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Ivan Rodriguez to Japan?
I know this is probably just a bargaining ploy but Pudge has mentioned that he might sign in Japan. I think there might be some truth to his intent because a Japanese team might offer him more than any MLB team is prepared to. So what does everyone think about a Japanese team signing a North American Catcher? I think it would be great if a Japanese team could/would outbid on players of I-rod's caliber (when healthy). Which teams might have interest?
Comments
Re: Ivan Rodriguez to Japan?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 3:46 AM ]

If they're interested in Ivan Rodriguez at a price the majors won't pay, that's okay. However, I think the NPB wants to avoid getting into bidding wars over players because that could be regarded by the majors as a declaration of war. I think such a bidding war would be great for players, and not so good for either the majors or the NPB.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Korisu | Posted: Dec 31, 2002 3:59 AM ]

Jim,

I don't think it will be a case of bidding war as opposed to Japanese teams possibly paying better than Major League teams will because of the new CBA in MLB. I believe it would go a long way to opening eyes and banishing the stigma of NPB being AAA level. I'm more inclined to believe that it is MLB level, just with a smaller talent pool.

P.S. Loved your ideas on Merger between the two leagues.
[ Author: DukeRules | Posted: Jan 2, 2003 12:45 AM ]

Pudge better go to the Giants, then he will definatly win another title.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.