Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nori to Giants (San Francisco, that is)

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Nori to Giants (San Francisco, that is)
Is there a chance that this article is true and Nakamura might sign with the SF Giants or is this typical MLB.com [feces]?
Comments
Re: Nori to Giants (San Francisco, that is)
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 4, 2002 11:08 AM ]

I'd guess it falls in the category of a writer needing something to write. Nakamura may not be totally swayed by money, but with apparently $6 million available in Japan, I can't see him coming for half that or less to compete for a job, which I feel is the implication of the article. If San Francisco would pay that kind of money, I think they'd want to play him somewhere. Also, if I was Nakamura, if I was going to take a lot less to go to the majors than I could get in Japan, I'd want pretty strong assurances that a starting job would be mine to lose. After all, the reason to come to the majors at such a pay cut would be to prove you can measure up against the best, and if you're not assured that opportunity, coming to the majors would make no sense at all.

San Francisco might improve their third base spot by paying him the money they would have paid Bell if he'd have stayed, and I think they'd have a real shot at Nakamura if they did that. I'm not convinced that is San Francisco's idea, nor does the writer. The writer may be misinterpreting things, but it smells to me like a beat writer at a dead spot in the offseason who needs something to write, so he comes up with a story which sounds plausible on the surface, but looks awful shaky if you look at the known facts of the situation.

It's all interpretation, of course, but that's my 2 pennies' worth.

Jim Albright
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Dec 4, 2002 2:10 PM ]

I agree with everything Jim says here. Nakamura, IMO, is not like Shinjo. He has the opportunity to be the highest paid player in Japan, both in total contract and yearly salary, and have his position at third guaranteed. I really can't see him turn that down so he can win a position in Spring Training.

To be honest, while I'm sure Nakamura is going to hear what the MLB teams have to say and give them some thought, I really think he used the threat of crossing over to jack his offers up. Perhaps he did the same with the Yomiuri Giants, as well...

And, man, while we're on the subject, am I ever glad Nori told Nabetsune to stick it (though not in so many words). I've always liked Nakamura's freewheelin' style of play and personality. I would have been sad if he'd conceded to that blowhard and dyed his hair black again to play for the Giants.
[ Author: Guest: Brent | Posted: Dec 9, 2002 6:33 PM ]

I hadn't heard the rumor w/ San Francisco, but there has been a rumor for a while that he'd sign with the Mets. They are deciding between Joe Randa of the Royals (about 6 million I think) and Nori.

I agree and disagree with some points in the article. Nakamura wouldn't have any reason to come to the states to be a backup, but we are talking about Pedro Feliz. If he had to take 500 ABs and hit vs. righties he would probably be a .230/.270/.350/10/45 guy which would probably make him the worst starting 3rd basemen of all time. I really don't think there would be a competition.

I'm sure Nori would command more than David Bell and he got 4-5 million so I wouldn't worry about the salary.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Dec 10, 2002 6:17 AM ]

- I'm sure Nori would command more than David Bell and he got 4-5 million so I wouldn't worry about the salary.

I wouldn't be so sure of this. The Mariners' pursuit of Ichiro notwithstanding, Major League General Managers are very reluctant to trust an "unknown" (AKA someone who has not performed in the American Major Leagues), over a known commodity like David Bell.

Granted, Nori might be worth more than Bell, but that really depends upon the difference in their defensive value. Bell is regarded as an excellent defensive 3B in the Majors, and I've heard Nori does not share this reputation.

I predict that there is no MLB team that will be willing to give more than $4-5m/year for Nakamura.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 10, 2002 9:57 AM | HT Fan ]

Granted, Nori might be worth more than Bell, but that really depends upon the difference in their defensive value.

I don't know about you, but I think offense far outweighs defense at the corners -- 1B, 3B, RF & LF -- and David Bell is one of the weakest hitting 3rd basemen around.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Dec 10, 2002 1:41 PM ]

-- Granted, Nori might be worth more than Bell, but that really depends upon the difference in their defensive value.

- I don't know about you, but I think offense far outweighs defense at the corners -- 1B, 3B, RF & LF -- and David Bell is one of the weakest hitting 3rd basemen around.

I agree, in general, that offense outweighs defense at these positions, but I'd note that 3B is closer to the middle/right of the defensive spectrum than 1B/LF/RF.

Putting aside the importance with which you regard your 3B's defense, I'm sure we agree that it's a factor that shouldn't just be ignored. And toward my larger point-- it most certainly won't be ignored by MLB GM's (if anything it's overrated by them).

I'd guestimate Nori to be something close to a 900 OPS guy in the States (maybe a little less, maybe a little more) which should make him good for about 150 pts of OPS over Bell. There's no defense that will eclipse that difference entirely, but it could close the gap somewhat.

I also don't think big league GM's see nearly as strong a correlation between hitting numbers in the Japanese leagues with the North American leagues as the new line of sabermetric thought seems to indicate.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 11, 2002 12:18 AM | HT Fan ]

All good points. Assuming Nori is a 900 OPS guy, I think signing him is a no-brainer, but I've already made my case for that in another thread so I won't repeat myself here.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 4, 2002 1:05 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hmmm. As the proud owner of a new SF Giants' jacket (thanks Dad), replacing one that was 18 years old, I enjoyed the article. Sure, there were a few funnies like:

However, published reports in Japan have said that the club is one of two teams interested in signing infielder Norihiro Nakamura, a star player who has told teams in his home country that he is waiting for an offer from a Major League team before he negotiates with any team in the Japanese League.

Fact: Nakamura has already held negotiations with Kintetsu, the Giants, and the Tigers here in Japan. Well, the Giants' Watanabe-owner isn't too keen on Namaura's orange hair joining, so that does narrow it down to two teams. Also, maybe the author meant to say that he wasn't going to commit to any offers until he's heard from some Major League teams.

I also thought it was amusing that they used a photo from the 2000 Sydney Games rather than something more recent - showing his "full swing."

Another funny from the article was,

[...] as there is a history here of tapping the Far East for talent.

Murakami and Shinjo makes a history of tapping the Far East? You could say that Montreal has a history of tapping the Far East by that measure.

If the SF Giants want to go for him, I'll back them up. I'd like to see them get serious about tapping the Far East. Then again, I won't be the only one walking around town in a SF Giants' jacket and Yokohama Taiyo Whales cap. Or will I?

[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 5, 2002 1:02 PM | HT Fan ]

The following headline's posted on Kyoto News.

San Francisco indifferent on Japanese slugger Nakamura

I don't subscribe to the site so I can't read the news brief but the headline is pretty clear.
Players to Giants?
[ Author: WhiteElephant | Posted: Dec 6, 2002 12:41 PM ]

In last night's discussion between Rob Neyer and Larry Kreuger on KNBR [Link (some proprietary MS format?)] the two men discussed a rumor about Nakamura and Kazuo Matsui joining the Giants.

If Jeff Kent does NOT return to the Giants, the Giants are SUPPOSEDLY pursuing either of these NPB veterans. The likelihood of the Giants' getting either of those NPB players is small: they are too cheap to do so!! I'm speaking as a long time San Francisco resident despite being a fan for the A's. (Funny how the A's and Twins keep improving while using less money than 1/2 of the Giants budget for players!!)
Re: Players to Giants?
[ Author: Giants | Posted: Dec 6, 2002 2:26 PM ]

How much are teams willing to pay for Kazuo? With Kent worth $9-10 million and Bell being offered $4 million. If Kent signs w/ someone else, the Giants have $14 million. It is obviously enough for Matsui and another player. So *wishful thinking* the Giants could sign both Nori and Matsui.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.