Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball in Taiwan

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
Baseball in Taiwan
I have played against several players in Taiwan (Joe Davenport, G. Ozuna). How did they get to Taiwan? I have now gone to Europe to play ball, and I know I am comperable or a step above them as far as ability is concerned.

Any information would be greatly apreciated.

Jason
Comments
Re: Baseball in Taiwan
[ Author: Guest: george | Posted: Apr 10, 2004 1:49 AM ]

Can you give me some info on baseball in Taiwan?
[ Author: Guest: Huang | Posted: Apr 10, 2004 12:58 PM ]

Have you played professional baseball in the minor leagues or with an independent team?

Probably the best way to play in Asia (Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and even mainland China) is to find an agent that is experienced in dealing with teams in these countries.

It's very difficult to get a job playing in Asia without connections. Most teams use scouts in the United States to recommend players. If the scouts have trouble locating players who fit the teams' needs and who are willing to come to Asia, teams often use agents to find players.

If an agent introduces good players to a team, the team will usually continue to use the agent to find more players. As a result, it is often difficult for players to get tryouts unless they have an agent who has experience dealing in Asia. Although there are many agencies in America, only a small handful have done business in Asia.

Having independent league experience is the least that a foreign player should have when coming to play in Taiwan, where the minimum salary for a foreign player is $96,000 US per season (from what I've heard). That's not too bad considering there are only 100 games in a season spread out over a very comfortable schedule of three or four games per week. However, foreign players do not last very long in Taiwan if they do not produce exceptional results. Some, like Jonathan Hurst, have managed to last a few seasons. Joe Davenport had a 2.76 ERA and was released after the 2003 year. Coaches and owners in Taiwan are quite negative towards foreign players and some don't even last ten at-bats, nevermind ten games. My advice is, don't say or do anything that might suggest you are frustrated.

Only three foreign players are allowed on the 25-man active roster. However, teams usually sign more to the practice roster.

Probably the least successful way to get a tryout with a Taiwanese team is to contact them yourself. In the past, some players have sent videotapes to teams, but only a small number have been successful with this approach. If this is the only option you have, there are some ways to improve your chances. Keep the video short (like 15 minutes). Some teams like to see a player hitting off the tee so they can better analyze his swing. Include stats and written testimonials from coaches and scouts. Nobody speaks any English so a Chinese translation (in Mandarin) is wise. Traditional written Chinese is in use in Taiwan as opposed to Simplified Chinese on mainland China, where the average salary is is $500-$1,000 US per month. On Mainland China, the China Baseball League season lasts 24 games spread out over three months. Lincoln Mikelson played there before getting a shot to play in Taiwan.
[ Author: Guest: Jason | Posted: Apr 13, 2004 7:32 PM ]

Thank you for the information. Yes I did play minor league baseball. I am now playing in Europe. I had a agent that "said" he had connections in Taiwan, but he was not exactly telling the truth. I have all the recommendations that I would need to play over there. I just need the conection.

Well Thank you very much for the information, if you have any more that you could share I would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks,
Jay
[ Author: Guest: jose uribe | Posted: May 12, 2004 5:32 AM ]

I woulk like to know about the teams, stats, and players.
[ Author: Guest: Joe | Posted: Jun 22, 2004 11:45 AM ]

To be sucessful in Taiwan you only need two things: a fastball that can consistently hit 90 mph (around 144 km/h) and a second breaking pitch. A third would be nice also.

Joe
[ Author: Guest: Jason | Posted: Jun 23, 2004 5:02 PM ]

I can touch 90, but usually I am in the mid to upper 80's with sink. I throw a hard breaking curveball, slider, and a changeup. I can throw all four for strikes at any time in the count.

So, would that mix be succesful in Taiwan?

Jason
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jul 1, 2004 7:10 PM ]

Getting up with a Taiwanese team won't be easy now. Only 3 foreign players are allowed to be on each team, while only 2 foreigner can play together the same time. And what I mean by "foreigner" is any player that's not Taiwanese - not just players from the U.S.
[ Author: Guest: Jason | Posted: Jul 2, 2004 6:17 PM ]

Thanks for the info. I know it is not easy to get to Taiwan, and the turnover rate is high as well. I have a contact now that can help me. So I will see where that takes me.

Any other info is always welcome.

Thanks to everyone for the help,

Jason
[ Author: Guest: P.Pico | Posted: Aug 9, 2004 5:59 PM ]

To know about coaches in 2003 for Sinon Bulls, never found.
[ Author: Guest: Jason Chi | Posted: Jul 10, 2004 1:08 PM ]

One thing a player has to be aware before going to Taiwan is that there is no farm system in the professional league in Taiwan. That means if you do not produce the results the team expects, you're going back home! That really sucks.

Mr. Huang.

Where did you get the information that the average salary in Taiwan is $500 to $1000?

From the encyclopedia [Link - NationMaster Encyclopedia]:

The population also enjoys an annual average income equal to U.S. $13,152 (1999).
[ Author: Guest: Bill | Posted: Jul 11, 2004 7:24 AM ]

I believe that's the average salary for a baseball player in the China Baseball League on mainland China.
[ Author: Guest: Jason | Posted: Jul 13, 2004 5:20 PM ]

The average salary in the CPBL for foreigners I know is a lot higher than USD 500-1000. I know for sure it is in the $80,000 range if you can make it a whole year.

I know that there is no farm system there. I wouldn't want anything less than to produce anyway, if I didn't then I wouldn't mind if they sent me back. I like the "put up or shut up" way of baseball.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Jul 17, 2004 10:35 AM ]

You get about $7,000 US per month salary. The baseball skill in Europe is low compared to the skill here in Taiwan, so unless your the ace of aces in Europe, you won't be able to play well and be kept on the team. But it's worth a try.
[ Author: Guest: Jason | Posted: Jul 19, 2004 5:54 PM ]

As I mentioned, I played Minor League ball, and can go back and play independant ball any time that I want. I can go to the Atlantic League and pitch, or the Northern. That is not the question. I am at the point in my career where I know I will not make it big in baseball (in the USA), that is why I came to Europe. If someone else will pay for me to travel the world and I still get to play ball, I can't pass that up.

As for being the ace of aces, the CPBL takes players from Italy all the time, Gabriel Ozuna to name one, there was one this year also, and actually 2 or 3 last year. Italy is not even the best country for baseball in Europe. So I know I can compete there. It's just that trying to find the right connections is not easy at all.

I was told last year to go to Florida for a workout, but due a family death I couldn't make it when the workout was scheduled. So I am trying to get the same invite again.

Thanks again for sharing, and any help anyone can give me, whether advice or otherwise, is greatly appreciated.

Jason
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Jul 22, 2004 3:37 PM ]

Can you give me a little information on the baseball leagues in Italy (number of teams, how you got there, amount of salary, etc.)? I'm hoping I can play there someday.
Italian vs. Taiwanese Baseball
[ Author: Guest: Jason | Posted: Jul 23, 2004 5:56 PM ]

Tony,

Italy is the same as Taiwan. You have to know someone. The pay can range from 1,500€ ($1,800) a month to 3,000€ a month, but that is only for a few teams that can pay that, Bologna and Rimini to name two. You only play 3 games a week one on Friday and two on Saturday.

If you have Italian ancestory then it is easy to get to play there. They will basically give you an Italian passport. In that case, all you have to do is e-mail them your resume and who in your family is Italian with some proof, and then it is a lot easier. I had scouts hook me up going over there. So you have to know someone.

Unfortunantly, I do not know any credible people who can get me to Taiwan, but hopefully one day. I think it would be a heck of an experience.

Again, any help would be greatly apreciated.

Jason
[ Author: Guest: JOE KALESNIK | Posted: Jul 24, 2004 9:53 PM ]

What minor leagues have you pitched in? Were you ever a contract player for a MLB team?

Mexican leagues are always looking for pitchers. The Northwest league gives tryouts every week, although this will stop this week because the league is winding down its schedule.

By the way, are you a right or left handed pitcher?
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Jul 30, 2004 8:14 AM ]

Jason,

You may or may not know about the Haarlem Baseball Week that is taking place at the moment in the Netherlands [Link]. It is an international tournament with participation by Cuba (B-team), Japan (Industrial League players), Netherlands (Olympic squad), Italy (Olympic squad), and Taiwan (Industrial League players). Through my work I know some of the Taiwanese coaches. If you are serious about playing in Taiwan let me know your stat sheet and other details.

This Taiwanese team is not the Olympic team. But some of the coaches will travel on to Italy to meet the Olympic squad there later on. If I understood correctly, the Olympic squad is participating in a pre-Olympic tournament in Italy next week.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jul 31, 2004 12:11 AM ]

I think the Taiwanese team that's in the Netherland now are the exact same team that came to U.S. two weeks ago. I think four players on that squad, along with two coaches, will be in Athens for the Olympics.
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Jul 31, 2004 6:58 AM ]

Right on the money. Taiwan flew into the Netherlands from Detroit. They played some games in the States.

They are eliminated from making the finals here, so be quick and I can still do something for you with the coaches. They are in a relaxed mode because there is nothing left to play for. And yeah, 3 or 4 players and a coach will travel to Greece to meet up with their Olympic squad. So Jason, let me know your deal.

If you are in Italy you can try and meet up with them there, but I give you little chance of success if you don't speak any Chinese.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 5, 2004 5:26 PM ]

Thanks again for the info.

Who was it that asked me for my stats and such like that? If you want send me an e-mail to jwall_31 at hotmail d0t com, then I will send you all my information that you may need. I do not speak any Chinese at all.

I did know about the Harlem baseball week, but I went back home to San Diego for a vacation.

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.