Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pinstripes in Tokyo

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Pinstripes in Tokyo
I heard that the Yankees will be wearing their pinstripe jerseys despite the fact that they are designated the road team in this two game series.

I wonder if Torre will change his usual line-up to accomodate Matsui's appearance in front of his country. They do have Soriano, Williams, Giambi, Sheffield, and Posada.
Comments
Re: Pinstripes in Tokyo
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Feb 18, 2004 10:46 PM ]

I must now add A-Rod to the list of Yankee hitters that Torre can choose from. I wonder who will be the most popular Yankee in Japan after Matsui.
[ Author: weirdgaijin | Posted: Feb 25, 2004 9:50 PM ]

A few years ago there was the "Subway Series" in the U.S. Would this year be the year of the "Pinstripes Series" here in Japan?

Hanshin Tigers vs. New York Yankees.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 25, 2004 10:34 PM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (2/25) Nikkan Sports had a short article with a photo of the Tiger and Yankee pinstripe uniforms side by side. Apparently, both teams will be wearing their home pinstripe uniforms when they face each other next month. Should make for some interesting plays on the field. Hate to see someone throw the ball to a member of the wrong team based on the uniform.
[ Author: weirdgaijin | Posted: Mar 3, 2004 9:24 PM ]

Will the games vs. the Tigers and Giants be live in the U.S.?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 4, 2004 3:42 AM ]

The games against the Tigers and Giants are being telecast live on the YES Network. They have the game listed as split squad, so most of the players will only play in one of the games. I am sure Matsui will appear in both games even if he has to pinch hit.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 4, 2004 6:12 AM ]

Both Yankee games will be televised on the YES network.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Mar 10, 2004 3:45 AM ]

Now that Sheffield has decided to play on despite the partially torn ligament, the Yankee line up should be as follows for the Tokyo games:
Lofton, Jeter, Rodriguez, Giambi, Sheffield, Matsui, Posada, Lee, and Wilson.

The pitchers are Mussina and Brown.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 19, 2004 7:09 AM ]

Travis Lee is now unlikely to play in the opener, if he doesn't play, Sierra will start.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 27, 2004 8:34 AM ]

The Yankees and Devil Rays arrived early Saturday morning in Japan.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Mar 28, 2004 3:17 PM ]

Yes, it will be live on YES Network. It will be on 3/28 5:00 AM (Yankees vs Yomiuri).

By the way, my wife, Masayo Kawaguchi, who is a freelance reporter for Japanese TV and Radio, will report by phone live from New York on Nippon Housou Baseball Broadcast of Yankees vs Devil Rays on the 30th and 31st.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 10:13 AM ]

I will be watching the Yankee vs. Hanshin game on YES. Ricoh must have paid a lot of money to have their name on the Yankee uniform and helmet.

Who will be the starting pitcher for the Tigers? Actually, I wonder who will pitch for the Yankees. DePaula?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 28, 2004 10:13 PM ]

Matsui was inserted in the cleanup slot against the Giants, as he also hit a home run against his former team.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 10:28 AM ]

I just read that it will be Donovan Osborne vs. Maekawa for the Tigers. Is Maekawa a good pitcher? Osborne has not been in MLB for a few years.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 30, 2004 7:18 AM ]

Yankees lost 11-7 to the Hanshin Tigers, as former Padre George Arias went 3-4 with a HR and 5 RBIs.
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 10:44 AM ]

Some thoughts about the Ricoh Series, as two JAL 747s filled with snoring jetlag victims descend into Tampa. It was dismaying to see the overwhelmingly pro-Yankee sentiments of the Japanese audience, given that Tokyo was to be a neutral site for Opening Day. With Tropicana Field sacrificing two home games, why were the Yankees in home pinstripes and using the home dugout?

The Tampa Bay press corps consisted of wide-eyed innocents abroad. One of them wondered why businessmen in blue suits would be downtown late in the evening on a work night. The same character was mystified by the sight of people in surgical masks. Both newspapers here willingly accepted the usual synthetic 55,000 attendance figure supplied by officials at Big Egg. With sushi bars seemingly on every street corner in Central Florida, none of the reporters liked anything they ate.

Hanshin showed the best this week, drawing with one MLB squad and walloping the other. The Giants' weaknesses were exposed to a wider audience. For New York and the Devil Rays, only time will tell if the dislocations caused by 14,000 miles of travel have an impact on their MLB efforts.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Apr 2, 2004 10:44 AM ]

Why were they rooting for the Yankees? Since Matsui plays for them, who do you expect the Japanese people to root for?

Scoring 7 runs on 10 hits against Donovan Osborne is not that much of a feat. He will probably be off the team as soon as Lieber is healthy.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Apr 2, 2004 10:39 PM ]

In NY sports forum there is a discussion in regards to which Yankees were popular in Japan besides Matsui. Many think it was Mariano Rivera more than Jeter.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.