Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Godzilla - Media Monster

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Godzilla - Media Monster
An annonymous reader pointed out an article on Sports Illustrated entitled "Media Monster." It has a rather interesting look at the media and how they and Matsui get along so well. Also mentioned is a historical bit on Edo Period tabloids and how much/little they've changed, as well as the incidents between the press and Ichiro.

My take on the whole Ichiro thing was a little different than the one described in the article, but found the article quite interesting on the whole. What I found most interesting was that Matsui took the press out for lunch during the pre-season and set the ground rules. So often now days, people are reationatory to problems. A fire popps up, and it's extinguished. But after so many fires, there's nothing but a charred house left. This way, Matsui did some fire-proofing before the season started, and rather than run around with a fire extinguisher in hand, he's been able to concentrate on the game - without disappointed the press by refusing to talk with them.

The one line in the article that really bothered me was this one:

When he first came to Seattle and many of his games were televised live in Japan, his runaway success made Ichiro more of a celebrity back home than he'd ever been before.

I had the impression that the writer didn't think that Ichiro was very well known before going to Seattle. Maybe I'm mis-interpretting him. But Ichiro was on advertisements for everything from potato chips to cars years before going to the Majors. His 210 hit 1994 season made him an instant celebrity, overtaking pretty much everybody but "Mister" himself in recognition value. Playing for Orix didn't give him the same level of coverage that Matsui has had with the Giants, but he wasn't any less under the spot light of the press. In fact, with all of his commercials, Ichiro was on TV a great deal more often than Matsui. I don't understand how he could have become any more of a celebrity than he already was.

The way I see it, Ichiro became a reluctant hero, doing so well that he could no longer have a private life, and he came to resent the press for it. Matsui's attitude has been that baseball is his life, and that he's willing to share that with the press, rather than try to hide from them. Matsui treats the press with respect, and they do the same.

Comments
Re: Godzilla - Media Monster
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 5:15 AM ]

I think that the writer was applying U.S. market rules and facts to Japan. In the United States, advertisement markets are very regional, and a big market like New York City gives an athlete more exposure than a small market like Milwaukee.

The author of the article obviously made the assumption that playing for Orix, Ichiro was in a small market, and therefore there was no way that he could have been exposed to a media market the size of Tokyo (like Matsui). Obviously, he never traveled to Japan; otherwise, he would have seen Ichiro all over the place. I even saw his pictures on the windows of a small drugstore in Hokkaido in the middle of nowhere years ago (before the Mariners).

On a related topic, I have to say that Ichiro has become more "open" to the press as of lately, at least it seems that he has opened up to the American press during the past few months. For instance, he just gave his very first interview in English on national TV about 3 weeks ago. While the Mariners were in New York City to play the Mets (not the Yankees) he talked to the very famous Bob Costas on HBO, and he even showed some of the English slang that he has learned (apparently taught by his Seattle team mate Bret Boone, mainly). I though he did a very good job and have no doubt that more interviews will be comming shortly.

I also heard that Matsui will follow soon, as he has been practicing his English with his fellow New York Yankees, especially with Jorge Posada.
Re: Godzilla - Media Monster
[ Author: Guest: UMASS | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 12:23 PM ]

I came to Japan many years ago, and I agree with the writer. I rarely saw him playing in Japan, so I did not remember how he stole a base in Japan. However, I can see him every day in Majors, so I suppose that Ichiro has become more popular than before due to his success in the Majors.
Interpretation of Celebrity
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 16, 2003 1:41 PM | YBS Fan ]

It appears that we have a couple of interpretations about Ichiro's popularity in Japan before and after moving to the Majors. Rosado-san and myself interpret it as how often we'd seen Ichiro, in the press and in advertisements. Ichiro earned more money doing advertisements in 1995 (or was it '96?) than he did playing baseball. The author of the article said "celebrity," which made me, at least, think outside of baseball. But even so, Ichiro took the front page of the sports newspapers more times than anyone else in 1995 and was one of the top front page faces (at least for the Kanto area's Nikkan Sports) for most of the second half of the decade.

UMASS-san brings things back to the realm of baseball. It is true that, unless you had Sky Perfect TV, you most likely didn't get to see Ichiro play other than the few scenes on Pro Yakyu News each night. So far as live coverage of Ichiro is concerned, his move to MLB has most definitely resulted in a higher audience. In that context, I agree.
Re: Interpretation of Celebrity
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: Jul 18, 2003 8:44 AM | YOK Fan ]

I would have to agree with the first interpretation. The fact that Ichiro played for a "minority" team did not seem to diminish his popularity, especially with children. He was all over the ads (Nissan and Mitsuya Cider are two that come to mind). He became a household name when the only way the majority of the population could have seen him play was on the late night sports news programs.

Matsui would have been successful no matter where he played, but I think being on the Giants, with their television "monopoly," it helped him become as popular as he is.

morosuki
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.