Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nichi-Bei Series Rosters

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nichi-Bei Series Rosters
NPB
Manager- Katsuya Nomura(TRGE)
Coaches- Takahiro Nobuhiro(CD), Takao Obana(YG), Syunji Nishi(TRGE)
Pitchers- Daisuke Matsuzaka(SL), Kyuji Fujikawa(HT), Kei Igawa(HT), Tetsuya Utsumi(YG), Katsuhiro Nagakawa(HC), Tsuyoshi Wada(FSH), Hiroyuki Kobayashi(CLM), Kazuo Fukumori(TRGE)
Catchers- Shinnosuke Abe(YG), Tomoya Satozaki(CLM), Takeshi Hidaka(OBs)
Infielders- Michihiro Ogasawara(HNHF), Atsushi Fujimoto(HT), Akinori Iwamura(TYS), Muneori Kawasaki(FSH), Tomohiro Nioka(YG), Shuichi Murata(YBS), Kazuya Fukuura(CLM), Yosuke Takasu(TRGE)
Outfielders- Tsuyoshi Shinjo(HNHF), Kosuke Fukudome(CD), Norichika Aoki(TYS), Yuuki Yoshimura(YBS), Teppei Tsuchiya(TRGE)
DH- Nobuhiko Matsunaka(FSH)

Hanshin's Kyuji Fujikawa, Yakult's Akinori Iwamura, and Softbank's Nobuhiko Matsunaka will sit out the Nichi-Bei series with injuries. Shinjo said he will sit the series out so a more deserving player can play and because of physical and mental reasons. [NPB Roster- NPB-BIS Official Site]

MLB
Manager- Ken Macha
Coaches- Manny Acta(NYM), Ramon Henderson(PHI), Curt Young(OAK)
Pitchers- Bronson Arroyo(CIN), Erik Bedard(BAL), Brian Fuentes(COL), Ray King(COL), John Lackey(LAA), Joe Nathan(MIN), Johan Santana(MIN), Scott Shields(LAA), Chris Capuano(MIL), Mike Myers(NYY), Chris Young(SD), Francisco Rodriguez(LAA)
Catchers- Kenji Johjima(SEA), Joe Mauer(MIN), Brian Schneider(WSH)
Infielders- Ryan Howard(PHI), Lyle Overbay(TOR), Chase Utley(PHI), Tadahito Iguchi(CWS), Rafael Furcal(LAD), Jose Reyes(NYM), David Wright(NYM)
Outfielders- Chone Figgins(LAA), Bill Hall(MIL), Andruw Jones(ATL), Jermaine Dye(CWS), Carlos Beltran(NYM)

Schedule
11/2- MLB All Stars vs Yomiuri Giants- Tokyo Dome
11/3- MLB All Stars vs NPB All Stars: Game 1- Tokyo Dome
11/4- MLB All Stars vs NPB All Stars: Game 2- Tokyo Dome
11/5- MLB All Stars vs NPB All Stars: Game 3- Tokyo Dome
11/6- Off Day
11/7- MLB All Stars vs NPB All Stars: Game 4- Kyocera Dome(formerly the Osaka Dome)
11/8- MLB All Stars vs NPB All Stars: Game 5- Fukuoka Yahoo! Dome

[MLB Roster- MLB.com]

[Dated changed from October (10) to November (11) on Oct 19, 2006 10:59 PM JST. Thanks to all for catching the error.]
Comments
Re: Nichi-Bei Series Rosters
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Oct 19, 2006 3:33 PM | TYS Fan ]

The series is in November (just to point out a typo).
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Oct 20, 2006 1:07 AM | HT Fan ]

Great to have this info. Happy to see Igawa and Matsuzaka pitching for NPB, Beltran in the MLB outfield, and Johjima behind the plate. Anyone know why Matsui and Ichiro are not playing for MLB this year?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 20, 2006 9:05 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Anyone know why Matsui and Ichiro are not playing for MLB this year?

Seeing as Hideki Matsui just came off of an injury not long ago, it is most likely the Yankees are very resistant to allowing Matsui to play and risk re-injuring his wrist.

As for Ichiro, I have no clue why he isn't playing in this series. I'd rather see Ichiro than Bill Hall. It could be that Ichiro declined an invitation to play. I have no answer as to why Ichiro isn't playing.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 20, 2006 2:30 AM | CLM Fan ]

I think Japan's pitching is great. Fukumori is a strange pick, but he's been very solid for Rakuten. The Japanese players I don't like on this roster are Hidaka, Fujimoto, Takasu, and Teppei. All of those guys are very ni-gun level players, though Teppei has a chance to develop into something decent. He's only had one full year at ichi-gun, though.

For the MLB team, I think the pitching is very weak. Seems like a lot of the big names want nothing to do with this, but it's great to see Johan Santana in there. He should be enough to get the press hyped up with a possible Matsuzaka vs. Santana battle.

The MLB position players, on the other hand, look stacked. That outfield is going to be ridiculous with Jones, Beltran, and Dye. Howard will probably be the first baseman the entire time, and then the rest of the infield will have solid starters and subs. You also have two very offensively skilled utility players in Figgins and Hall. Japan will have a tough time keeping the runs down, unless the MLB guys show a lot of rust from lack of play.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 20, 2006 9:03 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Fukumori is a strange pick, but he's been very solid for Rakuten. The Japanese players I don't like on this roster are Hidaka, Fujimoto, Takasu, and Teppei.

Yeah, Takasu, Teppei, and Fukumori were selected by Nomura, and all three of them play for the Eagles. I've mentioned it before that Fujimoto isn't such a great pick, but alas the fans voted for him via balloting and he finished first.

Overall, the catching minus Abe won't set anyone on fire, but Abe himself is pretty good and figures to get the majority of the playing time. Akihiro Yano of Hanshin should have been selected instead of Hidaka.

As for the pitchers, it does look like a pretty decent list. Arroyo and Bedard had career years. Same with San Diego's Chris Young. Capuano is a sleeper pitcher who never gets enough credit (11-12 4.03 ERA). Francisco Rodriguez and Joe Nathan are some of the best in the business at closing. Fuentes has also been very solid since being with the Rockies and is another sleeper closer. Myers and King are nothing more than average lefty middle relievers.

The MLB offense looks very stacked with Howard, Utley, Reyes, Wright, Dye, Beltran, Jones, Mauer, Johjima, and Iguchi. Both Hall and Figgins can play a vast arrangements of positions.

It will hurt the NPB team that Fujikawa will sit out as he was virtually unhittable this year (5-0, 17 SVs, 0.69 ERA). I really wanted to see him in action in this series, but a pitcher's health is always the most important thing. Also the fact Iwamura and Matsunaka will sit out the series will hurt the team.

My biggest question is where is Kazumi Saitoh? Is a 18-5 record with a 1.75 ERA not enough? Also where is Hiroki Kuroda? Though some more names for the NPB team are likely to be announced in the days to come as a few players have elected to sit out the series, and I look forward to hearing who Nomura will select to replace them. Hopefully some of the players I mentioned will be named to replace them.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 20, 2006 12:50 PM | SFT Fan ]

Johan Santana has decided to sit out the Nichi-Bei Series after being asked by the Twins to sit it out, due to a heavy 2006 workload. MLB asked the Diamondbacks to allow pitcher Brandon Webb to pitch in the series, but Arizona, despite Webb's wish to pitch in the series, is unlikely to allow him to pitch due to his heavy 2006 workload according to Diamondbacks GM, Josh Byrnes.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 21, 2006 4:55 AM | CLM Fan ]

That is going to hurt attendance and ratings a lot.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Oct 21, 2006 6:57 AM | FSH Fan ]

Matsuzaka Daisuke has announced he will not be playing in the Nichi-Bei Series either after not recovering from his right elbow injury after taking a come backer from Zuleta in Game 1 of the PLPO.

As a replacement, Seibu's Wakui will take Matsuzaka's spot. And the other replacements joining Wakui for the other stars who will be sitting out the series will be Saitoh Kazumi and Ohmura (FSH), Darvish and Yagi (HNHF), and Arai of the Hiroshima Carp.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 21, 2006 3:46 PM | CLM Fan ]

Kazumi is a good consolation, but who's going to be the big name starter to replace Johan?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:22 AM | SFT Fan ]

MLB Manager, Ken Macha, will be replaced by Terry Francona [Japan Baseball Daily] because Oakland fired Macha after the A's loss in the ALCS.

Macha was a fan-favorite during his time with the Chunichi Dragons.
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Oct 24, 2006 2:47 AM ]

For those in the U.S., is this something we'll be able to watch on ESPN?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 24, 2006 8:57 AM | YBS Fan ]

Not in the past.

But the place to ask this question is ESPN's concat page. Ask it often. Recruit friends to ask it. See to it that ESPN knows that people want to see it, and will get up at 2:00 in the morning to watch it (or vow not skip the commercials if they TiVo it). Consumers have a voice, and as many have complained, ESPN doesn't frequent this site. (If they did, they wouldn't make nearly as many mistakes about Japanese players as they do.)
[ Author: Guest: Akagaminosteven | Posted: Oct 24, 2006 12:39 PM ]

[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 26, 2006 10:27 PM | SFT Fan ]

Saitoh will now sit out the series [Japan Baseball Daily] with shoulder inflammation.

It looks like Yu Darvish of Nippon Ham will be the ace now. Though rookie Yagi could also become the Game 1 pitcher.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 26, 2006 11:59 PM | SFT Fan ]

Padres pitcher Clay Hensley [MLB.com] was named to the MLB roster [North County Times] for the bi-annual Nichi-Bei series.

Also, Padres manager, Bruce Bochy will manage the MLB squad. Bochy managed the MLB squad in 2004.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 27, 2006 9:38 AM | SFT Fan ]

Mets pitcher, John Maine was named to the MLB roster [MLB.com].

Maine went 6-5 with a 3.60 ERA in 16 games/15 starts with the Mets this year.
[ Author: Guest: Will H | Posted: Oct 28, 2006 12:03 AM ]

How difficult will it be to get tickets for the series? I was able to get tickets easily for a Giants game, and a Marines game this summer. Anyone with info please let me know, thanks.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 28, 2006 3:25 PM | SFT Fan ]

I suggest you either look at E+ or check some of the discount stores in Japan for tickets. Convenience stores often carry them.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 29, 2006 9:36 AM | SFT Fan ]

Cubs' outfielder, Jacque Jones, will fill out the last spot on the MLB roster [MLB.com].

Jones batted .285 with 27 HRs and 81 RBI.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Oct 30, 2006 3:06 PM | FSH Fan ]

Both Fighters pitchers Darvish and Yagi announced that they will not participate in the upcoming Nichi-Bei Series because of the upcoming Asia Series. They first agreed to play in the Nichi-Bei with the reasons that it was not certain yet if they will be playing in Asian Series or not. With the Fighters winning the Nippon Series, they will now focus on the Asian Series instead.

Also, shortstop Kawasaki (FSH) is leaning toward withdrawing as well due to slow recovery on his right hand injury, but has yet to officially announce his status.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 30, 2006 5:22 PM | SFT Fan ]

Yeah it seems a lot of players are siting out the Nichi-Bei series for one reason or another.

Matsuzaka, Saitoh, Darvish, Yagi, Fujikawa, and Matsunaka will all sit out the series. Not to mention Johan Santana and Carlos Beltran have decided to sit out the series.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 12:03 PM | HT Fan ]

The "Asian Series" is new to me, and I'm wondering if someone can fill me in about it, or possibly provide a link to some informational website on it. Thanks.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 2:12 PM | SFT Fan ]

You can check out this page over at MLB.com or check out the NPB page [NPB-BIS Nichi-Bei Series Page - In Japanese]. Both of them are great starting points to better understand the history of the series and get a basic understanding of who's participating, the times, and other stuff.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 3:04 PM | YBS Fan ]

Try these search results for starters.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 1:54 PM ]

It's going to be a big yawner, then.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 11:46 AM | FSH Fan ]

And when you thought the withdrawals were complete, there's once again a withdrawal.

Kawasaki Munenori has officially withdrawn, with Hiroshima Carp's rookie shortstop Soyogi Eishin to replace Kawasaki.

The Japan roster seems to be getting weaker and weaker every moment we speak. I wonder how they will fare with the MLB squad, who at least have Howard, Wright, Reyes, and Jones in the lineup. Although the pitchers do look a bit weaker than what they had with the batters.

You've somehow got to wonder how much interest the Japanese players have in this thing, although if I'm not mistaken, I think they were never really that interested in this Nichi-Bei Series.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 1:53 PM ]

Boy, I like John Maine a lot, but paired with Clay Hensley, this rotation is far from All-Star caliber.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.