Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kazuhisa Ishii

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Kazuhisa Ishii
I was wondering about Ishii's control when he was playing in Japan. Was he a bit wild and did he experience control problems? Also, when he left Japan was he in the top 10 of pitchers? I am definitely hoping that he has a good year despite his misfortune last year with the Dodgers.
Comments
Re: Kazuhisa Ishii
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 20, 2003 11:47 PM ]

- I was wondering about Ishii's control when he was playing in Japan. Was he a bit wild and did he experience control problems? Also, when he left Japan was he in the top 10 of pitchers? I am definitely hoping that he has a good year despite his misfortune last year with the Dodgers.

Ishii was always known for his bad control, but he did reduce the speed of his fastball one year by 2-3 kph, resulting in many more strikes, but also making him much easier to hit at the same time. He was definitely amongst the top 10 pitchers when he left Japan, and he probably was top 5 when it came down to southpaws.

Ishii always struckout many and walked many. I think (correct me if I am wrong) he is the second fastest pitcher to hit a 1000 strikeouts, the fastest being current teammate Hideo Nomo. Ishii almost every year averaged 9 strikeouts per game.
[ Author: Guest: UMASS | Posted: May 21, 2003 4:03 PM ]

Ishii was consistent in Japan for ages. What does "southpaws" mean?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: May 22, 2003 12:04 AM ]

Southpaws is a term for left-handers. It seems that at whichever park the term derived from, a pitcher faced west, therefore his right arm was to the north and his left to the south.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: May 22, 2003 5:29 AM | HT Fan ]

- It seems that at whichever park the term derived from, a pitcher faced west, therefore his right arm was to the north and his left to the south.

To add to Jim's explanation, the term "southpaw" comes from 1880s' baseball slang. Baseball diamonds were often arranged so the batters would face east to avoid looking into the afternoon sun. The pitcher's left hand would therefore be on the southern side.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.