Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Don Nomura

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Don Nomura
The May 5th, 2003 issue of Sports Illustrated magazine named Don Nomura, the agent, as one of the 101 Most Influential Minorities in Sports. He was No. 26 and Ichiro was No. 54 on the list.

Was Don Nomura a very good minor league ball player in Japan? He is Japanese-American? How did he become an agent for Japanese players and for Americans and Latinos who spent a season or two in Japan?

I feel that Don Nomura is the main man who opened doors for Japanese players to play in the major leagues when he brought Hideo Nomo to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Nomo came in and dominated the major leagues by making all the batters look silly. I'm surprised to see that Nomo did not make the 101 Most Influential Minorities in Sports.
Comments
Re: Don Nomura
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: May 10, 2003 2:22 AM ]

Dan Nomura is a senpai of mine at St. Mary's International School in Tokyo. His stepfather is Katsuya Nomura, the best catcher in NPB history. The fact that his stepdad is Nomura helped him and his brother Kenny in getting in to NPB, but his relationship with Nomura deteriorated over the years.

His real name is Donald Engel (not Nomura). His dad is an American GI and his mom is the "Queen of Mean" Sashiyo Nomura. You can read more about Donald at St Mary's International School Alumni Association Newsletter.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.