Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fans at Ballparks

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Fans at Ballparks
To my knowledge, in Japan, the majority of fans that support the home team sit on the 1B side while the Visiting team's fan sit on the 3B side. I was wondering if the people that lead the cheer are hired by the team or are just die-hard fans that come to every game? I love it when they call out the player's name urging him to "hit the ball out."

I understand that many Japanese people attend Mariners games. Do they cheer for Ichiro in this manner? I wonder if the Matsui fan club will be picking up this Japanese custom of cheering. If other people know of other forms of cheering in the US or Japan let me know. By the way I hate those noisy sticks (thunder sticks?)
Comments
Re: Fans at Ballparks
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Feb 27, 2003 9:20 AM | HT Fan ]

- To my knowledge, in Japan, the majority of fans that support the home team sit on the 1B side while the Visiting team's fan sit on the 3B side.

Right. But I once knew a guy who would sit in the 3B side at home games because he found the cheering squads scary. Go figure...

- I love it when they call out the player's name urging him to "hit the ball out."

Yeah, I was fascinated by this way of rooting for your team at first. I'd never seen it until I came to Japan, of course. Rugby, the main sport (national obsession?) where I come from, isn't really conductive to organised cheering, because there are spontaneous ups and downs in play every minute or so. In cricket, on the other hand, there's just about no action at all on the spectators' part, with the exception of those (literally) riotous fans in India and Pakistan.

But I like Japan's regimented cheering style. It probably wouldn't suit fans in some other countries, but what the hey, it's the way it's done here, it's unique, and it gets to be fun very quickly!

- By the way I hate those noisy sticks (thunder sticks?)

The sound of a crammed-full Koshien stadium, with 50,000 Hanshin fans whacking those things (augmented by a bass drum or two) can raise the hairs on the back of your neck. I'm sure it's very intimidating for less experienced opposition players.
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Feb 27, 2003 10:43 AM ]

Forgive my ignorance, but don't the oendan boys sit in the outfield? I thought the expensive A-seats around the infield were occupied by sarariman.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Feb 27, 2003 12:29 PM ]

Where they are located may depend on the team and the stadium. In Yankee Stadium the right field bleacher seats are occupied by a group called the Bleacher Creatures. As the first pitch of the game is thrown they begin chanting the name of each player in order. They will not stop until that particular player ackowledges them with a wave or salute. During the game they may start a chant to ridicule a player on the opposing team.

But the constant cheering done by the Japanese fans is unique. I wonder when it originated.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Feb 28, 2003 4:33 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes, the "oendan" cheering sections are more between 1st base to right-center for "home" fans and between 3rd base and left-center for "visiting" fans.

This type of cheering has been copied by Korean and Taiwanese fans.

Ichiro has a great Japanese and American cheering section in the right field bleachers at Safeco Field.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique rojas | Posted: Mar 3, 2003 10:31 AM ]

In the Dominican Republic baseball is main sport, second sport, third sport, etc. The fans try to get tickets behind their preferd team's dogout, but it is common to see a lot flags mixed around the crowd. A blue flag beside a yellow flag is normal. Many coming to the ballpark don't seem to know which side the home team is on, because the visitor's flags are scattered around the stands.

Where you from Tokarishi?. I thought you were from Japan.
Home Team Side
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 3, 2003 12:13 PM | YBS Fan ]

Actually, you bring up an interesting point - not knowing which side the home team is on.

For professional baseball in Japan, the home team is always on the first base side, the visitors on the third base side. This makes it easy for fans going to any stadium to know which side to sit on. And it may also add to why fans tend to segregate themselves in the stands so efficiently.

Sure, you've got home and away fans mixed in with each other in the infield stands in Japan. But that's usually because the right side of the stadium is already full. But you'll be hard pressed to find a visitor fan in the right field bleachers.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Mar 3, 2003 5:03 PM | HT Fan ]

- Where you from Tokarishi?. I thought you were from Japan.

New Zealand. Size=same as Japan; population=3.5 million (people, not sheep - there's more of them); religion=rugby! Of course NZers know baseball, and know what it's about, but we don't play it. That's strange really, because we're quite strong at softball.

In New Zealand, rugby is everything, when our national team (the All Blacks) wins, stock markets rise; when they lose, you can see the ugly side of NZ's people. Unfortunately, baseball doesn't really have a chance.

But I digress...!

Westbaystars-san makes a good point about the "efficient segregation" of fans in Japan. I suppose these fans' customs are just assumed - almost innate - and not initially understandable to outsiders. I remember, at my first baseball game, making comments like "Hey, those guys have stopped cheering for their team" at the change of innings - in all innocence! My friend looked at me, his face said "Are you dumb, or something?" and he said "Yeah, well it's the other team's turn to bat."

Now, of course, I have to restrain myself when I take "uninitiated" friends to the baseball and they start humming the Giants' songs!
[ Author: Guest: dale | Posted: Mar 26, 2003 2:44 PM ]

I'm ambivalent about the cheering sections at Japanese ballgames. If you get used to them, it's possible to "tune" them out, but the banner-wavers are pretty much impossible to ignore. They wave the flag so close to your head that they replace air-conditioning.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.