Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hasegawa Retires

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Hasegawa Retires
Former major leaguer and NPB pitcher Shigetoshi Hasegawa has announced his retirement. Hasegawa cited that he no longer has the energy for baseball and is hanging it up. [Japan Baseball Daily Central League Roundup]

Hasegawa went 45-44 with 33 SVs and a 3.71 ERA in 517 games with the Angels and Mariners [MLB.com]. Hasegawa was a 2003 All Star. In his NPB career with the now-defunct Orix BlueWave, he went 57-45 with 4 SVs and a 3.33 ERA in 142 games [Japan Baseball Daily].
Comments
Re: Hasegawa Retires
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 20, 2006 10:05 AM ]

I loved Hasegawa. It's sad to seem him retire. Will he move back to Japan or stay in California?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 20, 2006 11:24 AM ]

Right now, I don't know. Though it will be smart for a MLB team to hire Hasegawa in some kind of coaching capacity or other position. As his bilingual skills would be very helpful with Japanese players in the majors.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 20, 2006 9:12 PM | SL Fan ]

He had some good years, I always liked his personality. He seems like he can succeed in many different areas in life beyond baseball. Best of luck to him.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 20, 2006 10:19 PM ]

Contrary, to earlier reports, Nikkan Sports reported that Shigetoshi Hasegawa will decide to retire or not next week. Hasegawa has recieved offers from the Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, and a few other teams.

Hasegawa has said a return to the NPB is out of the question, as he's enjoying life on the West Coast.

[Japan Baseball Daily Central League, January 19, 2005]
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Jan 21, 2006 2:42 AM | HNHF Fan ]

Actually for me, I don't think he will retire this year. He is a good pitcher and I hope that he can be a coach later because he had much experience in MLB.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jan 23, 2006 12:38 AM | SL Fan ]

- Hasegawa has said a return to the NPB is out of the question, as he's enjoying life on the West Coast.

Haha, sounds very much like him, the importance of quality of life. So, it looks like Dodgers or Angels then?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 23, 2006 10:57 AM ]

- So, it looks like Dodgers or Angels then?

Yes, it looks that way if he decides to continue his playing career. Hasegawa has stated now and before that he has enjoyed life on the West Coast. Also with bilingual skills, to speak both English and Japanese, I see him staying in the West Coast after his playing career is over. We'll get a better idea later this week when Hasegawa makes a final decision on his future.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 24, 2006 5:24 AM ]

It's official, Hasegawa announced his retirement today. Hasegawa told the AP in Tokyo, "I had some other offers from some other teams, but have decided to retire. Unless I'm in perfect condition mentally and physically, I wouldn't want to be an important part of a team." [Full MLB.com Article]

It is indeed sad to see Hasegawa go. Hopefully a MLB team will hire him in somekind of capacity.
[ Author: Sole_SL | Posted: Jan 24, 2006 1:52 AM | SL Fan ]

Hasegawa decided to hang it up. [Full Japan Ball Story]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 24, 2006 8:46 AM ]

Do you know what teams offerd to Shiggy?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 25, 2006 10:06 AM ]

- Do you know what teams offerd to Shiggy?

It was rumored to be the Dodgers, Angels, and Red Sox.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 25, 2006 3:09 PM ]

That's too bad shiggy had to choose to retire. I would of loved to see him play in an Angels' or Dodgers' uniform, that way I can see him play everyday.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.