Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nichi-Bei Game Two

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nichi-Bei Game Two
The Major Leaguers got off to a quick start this evening via a huge home run to straight away center by Bonds in the top of the first at Fukuoka Dome, putting the MLB up 2-0.

For those who don't know, Fukuoka Dome is one of, if not the, largest stadium in Japan.

All-Japan got one back when Kokubo led off the third with a hit into center that the MLB second baseman just got a touch of leathre on. Fukudome then tripled to the gap in left-center to make it a one run game.

Ah, and Little Matsui just tied it with sacrifice fly to center. These two teams look pretty evenly matched!

I'm looking into chat options right now. My AIM address is "WestbayBSD" but it's really made for one-on-one chatting rather than groups. How many people use IRC?
Comments
Gyakuten
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 11, 2002 8:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

All Nippon has taken the lead in the 4th.

Back to back comebackers by Nakamura and Matsui put runners at first and third with nobody out. Matsui's line drive hit the pitcher in the left shoulder, knocking him out of the game to play it safe.

Cabrera hit a hard shot to third that was fielded well, getting Nakamura hung up between third and home. Matsui went to third on the pickle, Cabu to second.

Ogasawara (I wonder how that MLB.com announcer says his name ) followed that with a two run double to left! Gyakuten!

Kokubo, playing at home, then delivered a big two run home run to give the NPB All-Stars a 6-2 lead.
Correction
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 11, 2002 8:59 PM | YBS Fan ]

Nakamura didn't hit a comebacker. He he a double into the left field corner.
Cabrera Hits Second In Two Games
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 11, 2002 8:34 PM | YBS Fan ]

After Big Matsui failed the fans, Cabrera put them back on their feet. He hit the ball hard and deep to center. The MLB center fielder didn't even take two steps toward the fense. And a smiling fan with a glove has gotten himself a souvenir.

That puts NPB up 7-2.

After the beating the Nippon Ichi Giants got to start this series, I wasn't very optimistic of our chances. But Uehara yesterday and Chunichi's Kawakami today have both done great on the mound. These two performances will be hard to follow.

Those not following on MLB radio, Uehara sparkled yesterday striking out the MLB cleanup of Bonds and Giambi 3 and 2 times respectively. Bonds got the better of Kawakami with a two run homer in the first, but Kawakami got his revenge breaking his and Giambi's bats, back to back.
Rensho
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 11, 2002 9:37 PM | YBS Fan ]

Japan wins two in a row! This is too good to be true. And 8-2 victory? Both MLB runs came in the first off of Bonds' two run homer.

Cabrera wins the MVP Award, with Bonds getting the Fighting Sprit award (losing team's MVP award). Alex was just overshadowed by Uehara's performance in Game One. While Kawakami pitched very well this evening, Cabu's 3 hits plus home run out did him.

Wow! This is the best Nichi-Bei series on record so far. I hope we can keep this up.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.